RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Metros > UK & Ireland | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Why donít we just list every effiní pub in London?

read 3026 times • 96 replies • posted 9/20/2012 12:15:48 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10

premium
wheresthepath 1521:54
A few points here:

(1) If Iím with my family, I need to know about pubs in the area which are child friendly, serve good food, and yet still have some interesting beers for me - even if this means that they have less taps than the multitap down the road that doesnít welcome kids. Other people will have different requirements (ie cask rather than keg, nice interior, not too extortionately priced/busy/trendy, etc). Having a broad range of pubs will enable raters to find one nearby that suits their particular requirements.

(2) London is the largest city in the UK by some margin, and has the most pubs, Statistically speaking, itís likely to have far more places listed than any other city in the UK. In addition, with more people visiting it, more pubs will be entered anyway. In addition, the history of the pub industry in the UK mean that a higher proportion of our pubs are likely to carry non-macro/international brands than may be the case in other countries - so London may well have a higher number of pubs of interest to raters than any other world city (even if most of them carry fewer taps than the American multitap bars).

(3) Iím quite happy for more pubs to be entered for an area, as this will enable me to weed out the ones I want to avoid. One feature that Ratebeer Places does better than any other UK pubs website Iíve seen is the beer listings for each pub - which, of course, is what the majority of people on this site are interested in. Given that Iíll also research elsewhere about the pubs in the location, I rather like to be able to find out that the "10 real ale tap pub" serves only Doom Bar, GK IPA & their ilk, whilst the 2 tap pub down the road serves a range of interesting and varied guest beers from micros.

Overall what Iím trying to say is itís better to have too much choice than too little. As has already been said, if you need help narrowing down the list to meet with your requirements a quick post on the forum will soon have your answer (usually quicker than actually searching pub databases!) - you can then cross reference this against the Places section to find out addresses, & beers available, to find out your ideal pub(s)!

I think the Places database is a great resource, and can only get better as more places are added.

Cheers

Anth

9/21/2012 5:11:05 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
MagicDave6 1:1
Originally posted by Gazza
Iíll ask again.

Why do no other cities have such a massive array of mediocre pubs listed? Because the admins (I assume) are more selective.

Surely the places section should point you to the best places and not ones thatíll do if thereís nothing else?

Way too many mediocre pubs on that list IMO. I mean, Cheshire Cheese on Fleet St for example? Letís all have a laugh at that one... someone please explain to me why thatís on a list of great beer places. Ditto many more of them...

The Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese is better than any pub outside the M25.
9/21/2012 5:34:48 AM

premium
MagicDave6 1:1
Originally posted by TheBookie
Originally posted by evergreen0199
Iíd rather be drinking quality beer in sunny southern California but as far as England goes, London is number 1 by a long way. In fact the north of England is totally irrelevant these days.

Irrelevant, Why?

Cause its outside the M25.
9/21/2012 5:37:59 AM

evilempire 132:26
Originally posted by MagicDave6
Irrelevant, Why?

no no no, youíve got it all wrong...

If itís outside Yorkshire itís not worth bloody visiting!
9/21/2012 6:00:46 AM

premium
SarkyNorthener 1680:79
Originally posted by evilempire
Irrelevant, Why?

We need to go out of the county sometimes to realise how lucky we are.
9/21/2012 6:23:49 AM

tdtm82 668:74
Black Heart is excellent. I do need to go there next. Also Antic Pubs should be added as they are stocking good beer.
9/21/2012 6:30:02 AM

evilempire 132:26
Originally posted by evilempire
Irrelevant, Why?

We need to go out of the county sometimes to realise how lucky we are.

I go to West Yorkshire for that
9/21/2012 7:37:54 AM

tdtm82 668:74
Oh you get the Grove, we canít beat that.
9/21/2012 7:45:41 AM

premium
harrisoni 13144:20
Originally posted by harrisoni
Originally posted by evergreen0199
In fact the north of England.

Thereís a north of England?????

You should visit us theres more to the country than beautiful Hopland.

Donít worry my tongue was very firmly planted in my cheek. Iíve spent time in the north before. Itís just that itís too cold and too wet.
9/21/2012 8:39:23 AM

premium
tommann 2599:13
Iíd argue the toss but its cold and wet at the moment.
9/21/2012 9:31:26 AM

Home > Forums > UK & Ireland

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers