Why is The Kernel your favourite brewery ...

Reads 5453 • Replies 82 • Started Saturday, January 10, 2015 4:20:58 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

McNeillR
beers 2372 º places 16 º 14:09 Wed 1/28/2015

It’s frustrating how long it takes for them to appear on Scottish shelves, if at all, and they don’t last too long.

They’re available on pretty much every webshop going these days, so there must be a decent amount kicking around.

gunnar
beers 14335 º places 1096 º 16:31 Wed 1/28/2015

Consider yourself a lucky man, no sign of them on the other side of the North Sea, and I am not believing it would appear here in a while either. Still manage to get hold of some nectar from Bermondsey, enough to keep a sheepy smile, that is !

McNeillR
beers 2372 º places 16 º 11:16 Thu 1/29/2015

Originally posted by gunnar
Consider yourself a lucky man, no sign of them on the other side of the North Sea, and I am not believing it would appear here in a while either. Still manage to get hold of some nectar from Bermondsey, enough to keep a sheepy smile, that is !

AlesByMail do delivery to almost anywhere now AND have about a dozen Kernel offerings online at the moment...
http://www.alesbymail.co.uk/browse-by-brewery/kernel

MannyGoldberg
beers 208 º places 31 º 14:35 Thu 1/29/2015

Originally posted by Leighton
Originally posted by MannyGoldberg
People are actually equating Kernel with consistency? Leave it out. Everytime they rebrew a beer it tastes different. Most noticeably with those DIPAs that have never been as good as the first time.

I’ve heard this complaint from people before. Usually the beef is that Kernel never has the same beer available week after week, and when they do repeat a beer the ABV is different. This is a fair criticism, especially for folks who might not be very geeky and want to know what to expect from their beer every time.

For obvious reasons, most of the RB crowd [happily] overlooks this Kernel quirk. But I think a valid defence of the Kernel’s raison d’etre is that you can almost always rely on their beer, no matter the style or ABV, to be high quality. So rather than buying into one of their beers, you buy into the brewery.

The Kernel double IPAs...it’s a frustrating topic. I think Double Citra has been excellent/similar each time it’s been brewed (two, three times?), and some of the other one-off DIPAs have been great. But I think many peoples’ opinions are coloured by the most recent iteration (Double 4C, IIRC), which was decidedly a dud. I actually bumped into Toby about a week ago at the Cock and, among other things, we spoke about Kernel DIPAs. I think the Double 4C ’failure’ shook them somewhat, and they are really intent on figuring out the problem before having another go at it.

On a related note, Kernel has been setting up a lab, which should help them improve their consistency.

Personally thought the 2nd batch of Double Citra didn’t hit the same heights as the 1st. I do hope they try it again though.

It’ll be interesting to see how Skull King turns out. It you want to talk about consistency and Beavertown....well that’s a whole different thing.

MannyGoldberg
beers 208 º places 31 º 14:36 Tue 2/3/2015

Originally posted by harrisoni
In the past 3 days I’ve had the pleasure of tasting the following:-
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/the-kernel-india-pale-ale-citra-motueka/310345/20036/ 4.2/5

Drinking one right now. Is it just me or is it undercarbed?

Also thought the same about this, although more pronounced in the IPA.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/the-kernel-pale-ale-nelson-sauvin-motueka-nz-cascade/308705/

Gary
beers 2114 º places 4 º 14:45 Tue 2/3/2015

Drinkin their Imperial brown now , pretty slick shit

andrew_drinks
beers 234 º places 7 º 15:17 Tue 2/3/2015

Can credit them with getting my girlfriend interested in beer - the Suke Quto Coffee IPA and the Export Stout primarily. I remember our first Saturdays down at the Kernel in early 2011... one small table and one big one, and odds were usually good that we’d get the big one if we turned up before 1! Seems a bit crazy that four years on I can hop over the border to Belgium last week and see four different Kernels on the shelf!

tdtm82
beers 1704 º places 138 º 19:35 Tue 2/3/2015

Originally posted by Leighton
People are actually equating Kernel with consistency? Leave it out. Everytime they rebrew a beer it tastes different. Most noticeably with those DIPAs that have never been as good as the first time.

I’ve heard this complaint from people before. Usually the beef is that Kernel never has the same beer available week after week, and when they do repeat a beer the ABV is different. This is a fair criticism, especially for folks who might not be very geeky and want to know what to expect from their beer every time.

For obvious reasons, most of the RB crowd [happily] overlooks this Kernel quirk. But I think a valid defence of the Kernel’s raison d’etre is that you can almost always rely on their beer, no matter the style or ABV, to be high quality. So rather than buying into one of their beers, you buy into the brewery.

The Kernel double IPAs...it’s a frustrating topic. I think Double Citra has been excellent/similar each time it’s been brewed (two, three times?), and some of the other one-off DIPAs have been great. But I think many peoples’ opinions are coloured by the most recent iteration (Double 4C, IIRC), which was decidedly a dud. I actually bumped into Toby about a week ago at the Cock and, among other things, we spoke about Kernel DIPAs. I think the Double 4C ’failure’ shook them somewhat, and they are really intent on figuring out the problem before having another go at it.

On a related note, Kernel has been setting up a lab, which should help them improve their consistency.

Personally thought the 2nd batch of Double Citra didn’t hit the same heights as the 1st. I do hope they try it again though.

It’ll be interesting to see how Skull King turns out. It you want to talk about consistency and Beavertown....well that’s a whole different thing.

Agreed though the Citra crop was FAR better the first time which they did it. One of the very best DIPAs ever.

tdtm82
beers 1704 º places 138 º 19:37 Tue 2/3/2015

Originally posted by Gary
Drinkin their Imperial brown now , pretty slick shit

Killer batch atm. My buddy Simon brewed this batch with Evin.

Leighton
beers 33714 º places 1204 º 01:43 Wed 2/4/2015

Originally posted by harrisoni
In the past 3 days I’ve had the pleasure of tasting the following:-
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/the-kernel-india-pale-ale-citra-motueka/310345/20036/ 4.2/5

Drinking one right now. Is it just me or is it undercarbed?

Also thought the same about this, although more pronounced in the IPA.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/the-kernel-pale-ale-nelson-sauvin-motueka-nz-cascade/308705/

I’ve encountered some carbonation variation in Kernel beers. Just last night I had two pale ales and one of them was definitely more carbonated than the other. But I wouldn’t say the lesser-carbed one was so much so that it detracted. Might have just needed a bit more time to condition - although ideally they would put it on the shelf when it is ready to go.