RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Why should someone drink and rate now 3 Fonteinen Framboos?

read 6124 times • 93 replies • posted 5/30/2012 5:15:00 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10

premium
MagicDave6 1:1
Originally posted by Jeppe
Originally posted by MagicDave6
I had one over the weekend and my thoughts are this. People who havnt liked it, either havnt had enough framboise/framboisenlambic to understand that its perfect for what it should be and that its at perfect drinking age at the moment, or simply dont like the style much.

The beer has been in the bottle for over 6 months and the fruit is starting to diminish already. I cant see why people would think this will get any better for what it is supposed to be. I mean if you want it todie down and become less of a fruit beer, good effort, but what the hell are you then buying a raspberry lambic for then?

tom, this is the most clever post i have read in the forums for quite a while. thanks pal.

Yea, im not disrespecting peoples ratings here. More of the why are people saying itíll be better in 2-3yrs. Are these people with a wide knowledge of cellaring Rose de gambrinus and lou pepe framboise, if so fair doís, but i think not.

One of the awsome things about raspberry lambic is that it tastes fresh and exciting and has a nice jammy fruit character and loads of acidity. If your wanting something tamer, go for a kriek or a gueuze in my eyes.
5/30/2012 8:38:43 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
3fourths 7885:1268
tom itís interesting you make the Rose and Lou Pepe comment. the rating that people are talking about is from my girlfriend. sheís had about a dozen different framboise vintages over the years and a few dozen different fruited lambics from my cellar. I donít prefer young fruit lambic at 1-2 years in the bottle. each time I get a new case I open a young bottle with an old and the old is always levels above it, the tradeoff of faded fruit more than made up for by the yeast development. rose de gambrinus and lou pepe framboise young is *not* where I want it. even the 2008 Lou Pepeís, bottled in late 2010, are too juicy and simple right now. delicious, but not ideal. the girlfriend drinks a lot of lambic as well, sheís has quite a good nose and palate from her time as a wine sommelier, and she agrees. I think the wording in her rating comes from frustration seeing so many 4.5+ ratings for what was the third best lambic tasted at Sour&Bitter (#2 being Armand & Tomme, #1 being 2006 Malvasia Rosso).
5/30/2012 8:58:44 AM

Rosebud butternuts 2396:36
If I were to get one, I would drink and share it at the next local tasting!!
5/30/2012 9:06:21 AM

premium
Tibeerious 1
Originally posted by GoGriz
Beer shouldnít be released until it is ready to drink. When itís ready, sell it. If it isnít, donít. What the hell are we doing here?

I disagree...port maderia and other wines are sold young because buyers know to hold them...storage space and present value of money precludes producers aging tons of bottles
5/30/2012 9:08:44 AM

premium
MagicDave6 1:1
Originally posted by 3fourths
tom itís interesting you make the Rose and Lou Pepe comment. the rating that people are talking about is from my girlfriend. sheís had about a dozen different framboise vintages over the years and a few dozen different fruited lambics from my cellar. I donít prefer young fruit lambic at 1-2 years in the bottle. each time I get a new case I open a young bottle with an old and the old is always levels above it, the tradeoff of faded fruit more than made up for by the yeast development. rose de gambrinus and lou pepe framboise young is *not* where I want it. even the 2008 Lou Pepeís, bottled in late 2010, are too juicy and simple right now. delicious, but not ideal. the girlfriend drinks a lot of lambic as well, sheís has quite a good nose and palate from her time as a wine sommelier, and she agrees. I think the wording in her rating comes from frustration seeing so many 4.5+ ratings for what was the third best lambic tasted at Sour&Bitter (#2 being Armand & Tomme, #1 being 2006 Malvasia Rosso).

Yea well thats fair enough, as I said I wasnt saying so much about peoples ratings as the people who are posting in threads and that i spoke to in copenhagen just brandishing out the judgement with a note of authority that it needs 2-3yrs cellaring.

This to me was how i expected the beer to be and as Jeppe and Armand have said, when they wanted to release it, so it was at its best. Well carbonated and a good blend of the disired characteristics that I recon most lambic enthusiastics would say was spot on.

No one is wrong here, just to many people saying "dont drink it yet" without the kind of justification that you have given.
5/30/2012 9:08:51 AM

KAggie97 3529:220
Originally posted by notalush
Originally posted by TURDFERGUSON
If I had one, Iíd drink it right now. For breakfast.

I would drink a sip, then pour the rest out on the curb, to honor my fallen homies.

Let me know what corner. Iíll be there to play the part of the curb.
5/30/2012 9:25:18 AM

Mortlach 962:12

This is the point. I love fruit lambic and framboises are possibly my favourites, but in my humble opinion fruitiness shouldnít be too much present as usually it is in young lambics. Is this considered a contraddiction? Am I the only one?
5/30/2012 9:27:12 AM

premium
I said in another thread that I only had a small glass at Sour&Bitter so my thoughts arenít complete. I prefer having the entire bottle to myself or shared with one other person, pouring early for a clear and clean look, then middle and late pours to see how additional yeast changes the experience. I really dislike small sample sizes in large tasting groups for lambic because it gives you a snapshot only, and not being able to control the pour of the 4-5oz I had was challenging. folks have asked how I think it compares to 1999 and to other framboise and fruit lambics and I just canít say enough without having a full bottle to mull over for an hour, but that should happen soon, probably alongside a lou pepe framboise and a 3F kriek to compare, and the girlfriend will be wanting to evaluate it again and update notes as well.
5/30/2012 9:27:36 AM

premium
Originally posted by Mortlach
This is the point. I love fruit lambic and framboises are possibly my favourites, but in my humble opinion fruitiness shouldnít be too much present as usually it is in young lambics. Is this considered a contraddiction? Am I the only one?

not a contradiction when the matter is your tastes and preferences. thereís a world of splendor in each glass of lambic and what you appreciate most is not always what is appreciated most by others. thatís what exploring drink is all about! finding what producer, what fruit and what age suits your tastes. drink it often and compare against similar products from other producers to find your own sweet spot. my sweet spot is between 3-5 years and my favorite fruit has changed from raspberry to grape in recent years.
5/30/2012 9:32:32 AM

Mortlach 962:12
Originally posted by Mortlach

not a contradiction when the matter is your tastes and preferences. thereís a world of splendor in each glass of lambic and what you appreciate most is not always what is appreciated most by others. thatís what exploring drink is all about! finding what producer, what fruit and what age suits your tastes. drink it often and compare against similar products from other producers to find your own sweet spot. my sweet spot is between 3-5 years and my favorite fruit has changed from raspberry to grape in recent years.

Grape!
I had a bottle of 3Fonteinen Malvasia Rosso 2003 recently and it was astonishing.
5/30/2012 9:40:41 AM

Home > Forums > Beer Talk

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers