RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Why should someone drink and rate now 3 Fonteinen Framboos?

read 6079 times • 93 replies • posted 5/30/2012 5:15:00 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10

premium
3fourths 7801:1271
Originally posted by Mortlach
Uhm... I read a 2.7 gave by madmitch76 and he seems a veteran and competent rater.

you have to look at his fruit lambic ratings to get an idea of what he likes in the style rather than compare his numbers to those other people.
5/30/2012 12:44:44 PM

Private message send the author a private message

b3shine 4447:233
Originally posted by 3fourths
and frank boon calls Selection Lambic cooking beer! surprise surprise, people have opinions and preferences. itís bad manners to tell someone else how they should enjoy their beer; what is important is how you enjoy your beer, and I enjoy fruit lambic with age.

Bingo.
5/30/2012 12:53:50 PM

ephemeral8 67:1
I stand by my bad manners. This beer has the potential to be great, but it isnít now. Individually, I respect each personís opinion and personal taste, but the cumulative effect is an overwhelming wave of drooling, masturbatory, fanboy nonsense.

This is certainly not the main point of this thread, but Iíd also like to acknowledge that my reactions to this sort of thing are more snarky and annoyed than they probably should be and apologize for being overly harsh. But itís especially frustrating and exhausting to be treated as either a non-entity, a pet, or a "good sport" when I go to beer festivals. Iíve spent plenty of time in traditionally male-dominated fields (high end food and wine, the law, sports), and nowhere is the legitimacy of my presence and my own interest as questioned as in the beer geek world. Happily, brewers and bar/shop owners act very differently. Weíll see how Avery goes this weekend!
5/30/2012 1:10:13 PM

premium
Walt 2449:189
Originally posted by 3fourths
and frank boon calls Selection Lambic cooking beer! surprise surprise, people have opinions and preferences. itís bad manners to tell someone else how they should enjoy their beer; what is important is how you enjoy your beer, and I enjoy fruit lambic with age.

I tell you how to enjoy your beer. Not vice versa.
5/30/2012 4:40:47 PM

GoGriz
Originally posted by Tibeerious
Originally posted by GoGriz
Beer shouldnít be released until it is ready to drink. When itís ready, sell it. If it isnít, donít. What the hell are we doing here?

I disagree...port maderia and other wines are sold young because buyers know to hold them...storage space and present value of money precludes producers aging tons of bottles

I think if we were talking about Port, there would be more of a discussion. We are talking about beer.

As far as this aging/cellaring stuff goes with regards to beer, I have had a ton of cellared beer and even more fresh - it almost always tastes better to me when drunk sooner rather than later. Iím sure other people will say different but the truth is we all get infatuated with holding onto this shit like itís unicorn tears. Then when somebody has a tasting and busts out a insert beer style here from 1998, we celebrate them for having attained/held onto this beer only to realize that itss best days have passed. I once thought this was the way to go. But I hate oxidation. Drink fresh beer.
5/30/2012 4:43:52 PM

premium
blipp 5680:104
Uhm... I read a 2.7 gave by madmitch76 and he seems a veteran and competent rater.

A low rating of a popular beer is prima facie evidence of incompetency.
5/30/2012 5:06:43 PM

premium
MagicDave6 1:2

I know Ken well. He visits my pub every monday and im fully awear of his dislike of sours. Ken isnt the only "veteran" rater to dislike sours though and has a keen palate for barey wines and imp stouts. However if im honest i shouldnt have resonded at all, as im drunk and need bed and have somne curry/spiced porter that im supposed to be having...
5/30/2012 5:51:46 PM

JAXSON 524:4
As expected, íretaliationí reviews (4.8) are now being entered, likely an effort to keep bottle value high. After all, a handful of people did acquire 30+ bottles at the event. The freakin games we play here.
5/30/2012 6:47:34 PM

premium
3fourths 7801:1271
sitting on the patio drinking a bottle now and I think my tune has changed. the early pour is beautifully fruity and expressive. I can already say itís probably the best framboise Iíve had this young, a year in the bottle. yes people do play games, but Iíve been around enough I feel like I can evaluate beer regardless of price or rarity, lord knows I go against the grain enough. I think the Lou Pepe Framboise 2008, bottled in 2010, is the closest thing Iíve had recently. I usually prefer the late pours with fruit lambic, the early pours are a bit too simple and muted and my favorite time in a bottle is somewhere between middle and late pours. but here I want to preserve it clean as much as possible, reminded of the high mineral / gravel / chalk coarseness of the glass I had at sour & bitter.
5/30/2012 7:00:10 PM

JAXSON 524:4
Originally posted by b3shine
Originally posted by JAXSON
As expected, íretaliationí reviews (4.8) are now being entered, likely an effort to keep bottle value high. After all, a handful of people did acquire 30+ bottles at the event. The freakin games we play here.

I donít think so. After all, this is a new beer, and there was only one review since this thread was originally posted. And weíre not on the same time frame the rest of the world is (the person youíre referring to is from the Netherlands). Also, it was a thorough review, so I donít think it was necessarily retaliatory.

Yeah, I disagree with this. I donít want to stir this up too much so Iíll just leave íer be.
5/30/2012 7:00:14 PM

Home > Forums > Beer Talk

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers