Why Tipping Should Be Outlawed

Reads 5630 • Replies 91 • Started Wednesday, June 19, 2013 12:46:44 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

mkgrenwel
beers 619 º places 117 º 12:46 Wed 6/19/2013

Why Tipping Should Be Outlawed

I’ve been saying it for years: tipping is the absolute worst. This article pretty much sums up why.

beerinmeear
places 1 º 12:56 Wed 6/19/2013

I’ll sign the petition. let me know when hell freezes over . . .

What should be outlawed is restaurant employees being paid 2-3 dollars an hour, therefore eliminating the need for tips at all. I think most people understand that tips are part of a servers wage, thus the desire to leave a tip.

About twice in my life have I left less than 15% (I usually go 20-25%) and that was for downright neglectful service on slow evenings.

And, I feel no need to tip based on looks. Some of the best servers in Louisville, in my experience, are African American or (Eastern) Asian. Maybe that means I have a bias towards them.

pinkie
beers 470 º places 10 º 13:18 Wed 6/19/2013

I have a cousin who won’t tip anyone. Not the waiter/waitress, not the hairstylist, not the pizza guy, not the valet. She also hates children.

phaleslu
admin
beers 16533 º places 792 º 13:20 Wed 6/19/2013

Freakonomics did a 35-minute podcast on this recently. There are a lot of solid arguments against it. I’ll keep tipping as generously as I can until anything changes, but I would like to see it go away.

TheHOFF43
beers 2045 º places 169 º 13:22 Wed 6/19/2013

Originally posted by phaleslu
Freakonomics did a 35-minute podcast on this recently. There are a lot of solid arguments against it. I’ll keep tipping as generously as I can until anything changes, but I would like to see it go away.

+1

puzzl
beers 3258 º places 138 º 13:31 Wed 6/19/2013

I hate tipping. I especially hate tipping when bars think they are giving you a deal by giving you an 8oz pour for $5 instead of a pint for $10, because now you are tipping 20% of the cost of the beer instead of 10% and after a session with some friends it can end up at $10+ worth of extra tips just because they force me to use a small glass. Smaller pours suck. I’ve started tipping 50c on small pours because it’s bullshit.

mcox90
beers 3050 º places 61 º 13:32 Wed 6/19/2013

Originally posted by phaleslu

+2

after4ever
admin
beers 8025 º places 322 º 13:36 Wed 6/19/2013

Objectively, I dislike tipping.

But as a practical matter, it’s so easy to be favored with good service, and I love it. For a couple bucks out of your pocket, you stand out as a "big tipper" among other customers. Eventually, some places start offering you a free beer here and there, sneak peeks of kegs, happy hour prices all the time, whatever--and you’re back in the black, but with good vibes. Nice.

phaleslu
admin
beers 16533 º places 792 º 13:40 Wed 6/19/2013

^At places where you’re a regular, yes, but everywhere else being a big tipper doesn’t get you anything more. The guy at Cornell’s Hotel Management School who has devoted his studies to the economics of tipping said that there isn’t enough data to show that big tipping influences staff behavior (mostly because tipping is done at the end) and that in the other direction, good service only influences tip size by about 2%.

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 13:42 Wed 6/19/2013

I like when the restaurant already includes the tip and the service is still flawless. Dislike tipping in general, but I do it very generously and it seems to pay back a bit at places where I’m a regular. I don’t see it going away any time soon.