Why Tipping Should Be Outlawed

Reads 5627 • Replies 91 • Started Wednesday, June 19, 2013 12:46:44 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

dhunter151
beers 590 º places 11 º 13:35 Thu 6/20/2013

How do you guys feel about tipping on take out. I don’t. I feel like they are just putting my food into a bag and handing it to me. Not much more than what a fast food restaurant does. Any many times the person handing it to you wasn’t the one who packed it up anyways.

after4ever
admin
beers 8025 º places 322 º 13:45 Thu 6/20/2013

Originally posted by dhunter151
How do you guys feel about tipping on take out. I don’t. I feel like they are just putting my food into a bag and handing it to me. Not much more than what a fast food restaurant does. Any many times the person handing it to you wasn’t the one who packed it up anyways.

If you’re a regular, a buck or two will help you be remembered fondly. The tip jar is usually communal at most places like that.

If they personally walk it over to the awesome beer store next door for me, I tip ~30%.

beastiefan2k
beers 5008 º places 294 º 14:31 Thu 6/20/2013

Originally posted by after4ever
The tip jar is usually communal at most places like that.

Not sure how much this happens but:

I knew somebody that worked at a Quiznos in Long Island (this was about a decade ago). They told me that the tip jar would go straight into the owners pocket. I have been very wary of tip jars ever since then.

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 14:41 Thu 6/20/2013

Local pizza joint has a tip jar out at all times. Pretty chill spot. During the drunk busy times (12-3am), they put all of the sauces behind the counter and deman tips for sauce use. Pretty damn good idea by the staff, doubtful the owner approves.

Edit: maybe he does. Sauce control for drunk people would be less cleanup, less chance of dudebrochill pouring a cup of ranch on each pizza, and gets the employees that get paid $7 an hour to actually want to work a friday night.

mkgrenwel
beers 619 º places 117 º 14:46 Thu 6/20/2013

I was at Warped Tour like ten years ago on a super hot summer day. There was a guy selling water bottles or something with a tip jar out and he was just berating the customers for not tipping him enough, telling them he’ll sell as fast as people tip. I don’t think he really understood the concept.

beastiefan2k
beers 5008 º places 294 º 15:26 Thu 6/20/2013

Originally posted by mkgrenwel
I don’t think he really understood the concept.

EdKing
beers 3661 º places 307 º 16:14 Thu 6/20/2013

This issue is clear as day to me. Restaurant and bar workers are being exploited. It’s as simple as that. The system is demeaning to the workers and customers and serves the interests of the owners.

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 00:16 Fri 6/21/2013

I think the idea that wait staff in Europe are universally provided benefits and a decent salary is a bit off. I think lots of them actually do work without benefits...if there are any Euros reading this that know more than me, please, chime in.

My point is, the idea that Europe is some sort of tipping-free paradise is mis-guided. Europeans certainly do tip wait staff, it’s just a lot less (round up to the nearest €, maybe 5 - 10%) and the staff don’t hover over you, wanting to become your best friend in the process. But you don’t *have* to tip if you don’t want to.

At least, the bits of Europe I’ve been to.

craftycarl21
beers 2338 º places 93 º 01:10 Fri 6/21/2013

Originally posted by radarsock
Sometimes, you simply don’t have enough money to leave a good tip. And a lot of you are probably thinking, "Well, why the hell would you go out to eat in the first place"? But I don’t believe you should have to equate the tip at the end of the night, just the price of the food and perhaps the drink you ordered. If service was particularity good, drops a few bills on your table, but what gets my goat almost every time is when a server almost DEMANDS a tip. I’ve eaten at one place that shall be left anonymous, but basically what had happened was when I got my card back the tip was already filled in I just had to sign for it. I don’t know about anyone else, but I was pissed.

This is an outrageous attitude, and I see it all too frequently. A server shouldn’t demand a tip, but service does demand one. There’s a serious amount of work going in to you getting your beers, food, or whatever that you obviously don’t have any appreciation for, regardless of whether the service is mediocre, adequate or fantastic. If it’s absolutely awful and you were treated like scum, then you can not tip. While I disagree with your concluding anecdote as well, I’m so sick of seeing people at my establishment who spend a bit more than they’d intended and then tip as if they hadn’t had those last 3 drinks and drunk grilled cheese. The server spent just as much effort getting you those items in a timely manner as he/she did your first ones, whether or not they exceeded your $50 personal quota for the night or whatever the hell your excuse is. If you don’t want to tip for dinner, make it yourself or go to a drive thru. Those people are making more than the people you arbitrarily decide not to tip.

Benzai
beers 20020 º places 321 º 03:09 Fri 6/21/2013

Originally posted by Erlangernick
I think the idea that wait staff in Europe are universally provided benefits and a decent salary is a bit off. I think lots of them actually do work without benefits...if there are any Euros reading this that know more than me, please, chime in.

My point is, the idea that Europe is some sort of tipping-free paradise is mis-guided. Europeans certainly do tip wait staff, it’s just a lot less (round up to the nearest €, maybe 5 - 10%) and the staff don’t hover over you, wanting to become your best friend in the process. But you don’t *have* to tip if you don’t want to.

At least, the bits of Europe I’ve been to.

Speaking for The Netherlands and Belgium, it is not allowed to pay someone less than the minimum wage. Tips are optional, as is the amount. Most of the time when your chekc is just below 10, 20, 30 etc. euro you just round up to that number. When you’re with a group most of the time you tip about a euro per person, regardless of the amount you had to pay. A tip in Europe, or as I said at least in The Netherlands and Belgium, is really something extra. They’ve got at least minimum wage, a basic salary which they can life off, so it’s up to them to provide you with good service in order to earn that extra: the tip. I tip considerably more when the waiter has done a good job, up to three or four times as much. If the service sucks I don’t tip at all. This way you won’t do any harm to anyone, while at the same time you show that service is below par. Or service is great but you are just an asshole off course, there’s always that possibility.