Wisconsin Brewery

Reads 1543 • Replies 19 • Started Tuesday, November 5, 2013 5:29:54 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

nuplastikk
beers 9832 º places 73 º 17:29 Tue 11/5/2013

Sixpacks finally hit the stores. $7.25 a six pack at Jenifer Street Market.

I bought the Session IPA and the Brown Ale.

The Session IPA is pretty good. Way better than any Capital product, for sure.

nuplastikk
beers 9832 º places 73 º 18:36 Tue 11/5/2013

The Brown and Robust Porter is solid too.

madvike
beers 3357 º places 3 º 05:27 Wed 11/6/2013

I’ll give these all a try, but I’ll go in with low expectations.

jlruthven
beers 612 º places 13 º 07:55 Wed 11/6/2013

Originally posted by madvike

Ditto.

As far as Capital comparisons go, its really a question of how we’re viewing or remembering Capital when Kirby was there. I was never offended by any of their beers, and the Maibock was always pretty damn solid. After he left, though, most batches have fallen somewhere between mediocre and undrinkable.

Distributor is already trying to shove this stuff down our throats too, which doesn’t help. Still, can’t know for sure till you taste.

madvike
beers 3357 º places 3 º 10:31 Wed 11/6/2013

Originally posted by jlruthven

Ditto.

As far as Capital comparisons go, its really a question of how we’re viewing or remembering Capital when Kirby was there. I was never offended by any of their beers, and the Maibock was always pretty damn solid. After he left, though, most batches have fallen somewhere between mediocre and undrinkable.

Distributor is already trying to shove this stuff down our throats too, which doesn’t help. Still, can’t know for sure till you taste.

Even when Kirby was there, to me they had a lot of unispiring beers. Supper Club, US Pale Ale, Rustic Ale, Hop Cream, Island Wheat were all meh. Wasn’t a fan of their Dark or Oktoberfest though I know many are. Though some were very tasty, the endless procession of dopplebocks got pretty tedious.

The pilsner and their viennas were decent, along with the Weizen and Fest.

I guess my biggest beef with them was, okay, you like to brew traditional German styles. Where’s your zwickel? Schwarzbier? Altbier? Kolsch? Dunkler Bock? Dunkleweizen? It would have been nice to at least see these as seasonals at some point. Unless you’re absolutely knocking my socks off with your base beers (which they weren’t), you gotta change it up and get some variety in there.

jlruthven
beers 612 º places 13 º 20:46 Wed 11/6/2013

Originally posted by jlruthven

Ditto.

Even when Kirby was there, to me they had a lot of unispiring beers. Supper Club, US Pale Ale, Rustic Ale, Hop Cream, Island Wheat were all meh. Wasn’t a fan of their Dark or Oktoberfest though I know many are. Though some were very tasty, the endless procession of dopplebocks got pretty tedious.

The pilsner and their viennas were decent, along with the Weizen and Fest.

I guess my biggest beef with them was, okay, you like to brew traditional German styles. Where’s your zwickel? Schwarzbier? Altbier? Kolsch? Dunkler Bock? Dunkleweizen? It would have been nice to at least see these as seasonals at some point. Unless you’re absolutely knocking my socks off with your base beers (which they weren’t), you gotta change it up and get some variety in there.

Yeah, agreed. It kind of got to be the same-old, same-old after awhile.

That said, based on the reception of the WBC beers so far, I don’t know that massive funding is going to help much. They seem, so far, to be regarded as "okay."

nuplastikk
beers 9832 º places 73 º 19:26 Mon 11/18/2013

I lost all enthusiasm after the Amber Lager. I find the Session Able enjoyable enough though, and hope they throw some one-offs in our direction.

madvike
beers 3357 º places 3 º 19:33 Mon 11/25/2013

Finally got around to trying some of these--had the Session IPA, Amber Lager, and Robust and Brown Porter. The Session IPA was the best of the three, but that’s not saying much. I can name lots of Capital beers I’d rather have than that. The Amber was atrocious, and I liked the porter less than all the other ratings I’ve seen for it so far. Even though I didn’t expect much, I still feel let down.

Over under on the first seasonal/one-off being a doppelbock?

jlruthven
beers 612 º places 13 º 07:27 Tue 11/26/2013

Finally got around to trying some of these--had the Session IPA, Amber Lager, and Robust and Brown Porter. The Session IPA was the best of the three, but that’s not saying much. I can name lots of Capital beers I’d rather have than that. The Amber was atrocious, and I liked the porter less than all the other ratings I’ve seen for it so far. Even though I didn’t expect much, I still feel let down.

Yeah, I smelled the Amber and then didn’t drink it. Rare for me. Which...wait, does that make it .rar for me?

ISO.

esjaygee
beers 3902 º places 262 º 08:06 Tue 11/26/2013

I thought their beer was rather blah and I’m wondering who is going to buy up all that beer I saw predominantly displayed at all the Madison liquor stores I went in to recently. Other than the bland lager, I was shocked to see what the other three beers styles in their line-up were.

The dopplebock comment is spot on. I’ll guess on their seasonals since I’m bored at work:
1 Maibock
2 Easy drinking wheat beer/hefeweizen
3 Pils/Helles type lager
4 Oktoberfest Bock (aka Autumnal Fire)
5 Oktoberfest
6 A style that Kirbys never made - stout/schwarzbier/scotch/spiced
7 Dark Dopplebock

Tooch4321
beers 11 º 08:13 Tue 11/26/2013

The Brown Porter was way too bitter, we took a couple sips and then dumped it. The Amber was even worse, I’m just glad I didn’t actually pay for these beers...