With no eBay, are beer sellers going to turn to Auction Houses?

Reads 3398 • Replies 26 • Started Friday, October 12, 2012 12:21:46 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

levifunk
beers 12 º 14:32 Fri 10/12/2012

Originally posted by McWorta
Yea good argument of what might happen it depends as well on brewers and general suppliers. The core beer community as to my opinion is largely wide spread (considering getting rarer beers then the usual). How far are suppliers going to offer good rare beer?!

I think this brings up a good point. People view ebayer as profiteers, and I understand that. However, I think we also need to realize they are actually providing a service. Distribution laws prevent breweries in VT to sell beer to CA without getting a license. Its a large expense for a brewery to get the license and a distributor isn’t going to just handle a single case of a beer for the account. So, ebayers DO allow for the distribution of the upper tier of beer that those around the nation/world want to try. Legal or not, it gets product to those who want it.

Instead of changing ebay policy, breweries should be trying to change laws allowing for wine-like shipping policies.

LinusStick
beers 3740 º places 66 º 18:04 Fri 10/12/2012

eBay has said they are revamping their alcohol sales policies. I’m betting they are going to do some kind of age verification process then allow sales again. Maybe it’s just me but they never said they are ultimately banning alcohol sales completely.

fewa
beers 41 º 08:49 Sat 10/13/2012

http://www.mybeercollectibles.com/index.php#a6ffaa4fa773

This is a nice alternative to ebay. I only hope that more US beers will be put online there soon. It is my only access to US whales without trading my first born!

mowz
09:02 Sat 10/13/2012

Craigslist? Why aren’t people using craigslist?

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 10:34 Sat 10/13/2012

They are. I think people like staying anonymous for this since it has such a bad rap on the forums. Respect beer and all that.

madmitch76
beers 36870 º places 240 º 10:58 Sat 10/13/2012

I just want to buy craft beer that I would neved otherwise see from good ebayers at mutually advantageous price. Unfortumately there is is a small army of people (riddled with hypocrites))
who want to protect me from myself. I wish they would sod off!

TheGuy
beers 653 º places 26 º 14:40 Sat 10/13/2012

I’m going to drink all my bottles that I had a hard time opening when I knew they were worth $200s a bottle. I have mixed feelings about eBaying beer,the good is if I wanted something that was impossible to trade for without emptying my cellar that I worked so hard to fill,I could just buy it. But I hated seing people doing it as just away to make a buck.I’ve only bought twice but l tried to steal it at a low price.

McWorta
beers 1632 º places 156 º 05:35 Sun 10/14/2012

Originally posted by levifunk
Originally posted by McWorta
Yea good argument of what might happen it depends as well on brewers and general suppliers. The core beer community as to my opinion is largely wide spread (considering getting rarer beers then the usual). How far are suppliers going to offer good rare beer?!

I think this brings up a good point. People view ebayer as profiteers, and I understand that. However, I think we also need to realize they are actually providing a service. Distribution laws prevent breweries in VT to sell beer to CA without getting a license. Its a large expense for a brewery to get the license and a distributor isn’t going to just handle a single case of a beer for the account. So, ebayers DO allow for the distribution of the upper tier of beer that those around the nation/world want to try. Legal or not, it gets product to those who want it.

Instead of changing ebay policy, breweries should be trying to change laws allowing for wine-like shipping policies.

Agreed! On the other hand doing something good for the sake of it be a fostering thing for the beer community and not becoming like a wine dazzler

afksports
beers 81 º 12:49 Mon 10/15/2012

So what do you guys think this auction will do? 2007 Utopias? Think it will even sell? Or do you think wine buyers will go crazy for it?

Advocate_Ames
beers 636 º places 41 º 13:52 Mon 10/15/2012

If there is a demand for goods and services someone will always put up an effort to supply one with goods and services. Auction sites are already forming. Former ebay sellers are sending out chain letters and listing what’s available in their cellars. There is nothing to stop all of this unless breweries stop bottling their products.

The post prohibition alcohol laws that are older than most of us need to be changed to meet the times of today. Most of the states are dropping the ball there. Sadly buying or trading beer online is illegal. In the end it seems to me that beer collecting will be like how wine is.

My final thought here is that a business should possess an ethical desire to protect the consumer. The larger breweries should fight against the laws that limit us from enjoying their products. It shouldn’t be about anti eBay, auction sites, or individual beer sellers. It should be about letting us be free to enjoy a brewery’s product however we wish. I dont hear wineries trying to fight anyone? But I guess that’s because beer is big business. The top breweries like the laws as is because they have enough cash to play in this game.

It is all a little ridiculous. States oneday will not have jurisdiction over alcohol, tobacco, & firearms... the federal government will. Hopefully the feds will handle it better than my state of Pennsylvania & a lot of States did/do.