World Beer Cup 2014 Winners

Reads 3121 • Replies 39 • Started Friday, April 11, 2014 10:08:06 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

miketd
beers 5 º places 125 º 15:16 Sat 4/12/2014

Originally posted by Bacterial
Hill Farmstead not happy (click link below for picture of the deleted tweet)

(from Twitter)
bentwoookie: And now it’s gone. @HillFarmstead @BrewersAssoc kinda..... http://t.co/80He3OeL9a

HillFarmstead: @lnashsig @rbergin thank you. Just disappointing to see world class friends lose to flawed beers.

lnashsig: @HillFarmstead @rbergin you are upset they didn’t win and didn’t get the credit they deserve. You don’t need to degrade other brewers.

HillFarmstead: @lnashsig @rbergin i disagree. Bad beers need to be criticized- not flattered. This is how the industry is failing. We aren’t family.

lol, what a jackass.

SamGamgee
beers 2452 º places 182 º 15:46 Sat 4/12/2014

Originally posted by joeneugs
Originally posted by drowland
People also seem to forget that these beers are judged within certain guidelines. The best beer in the flight (by some person’s opinion) may not be the best beer suited to that set of style guidelines.

^^ This. I was thinking this when I saw the Rare Barrel beer beat out Framboise de Amorosa for American sour ale. I actually liked the Rare Barrel beer too, but no way is it better than Amorosa. I think that one might have got dinged for being a raspberry bomb. A little too extreme and out of style guidelines.

Amarosa is often over carbonated, flat, or completely turbid out of the bottle. It’s easy to see how it would;t win a medal, even if it is an amazing beer sometimes. Consistency matters and we have no way of knowing what the beer was like that was put in front of the judges.

Something that everyone needs to keep in mind for these competitions is that batch variation at small breweries is a very real thing, and just because you didn’t love a beer the one time you had it, doesn’t mean that the bottles sent to competition weren’t a world better. And the opposite is also true of course.

joeneugs
beers 6372 º places 240 º 15:51 Sat 4/12/2014

Originally posted by SamGamgee
Amarosa is often over carbonated, flat, or completely turbid out of the bottle. It’s easy to see how it would;t win a medal, even if it is an amazing beer sometimes.

It actually did win silver, so it must have been a reasonably good sample. You’re right though, batch consistency is a major deal, which is why these medals should always be taken with a grain of salt.

SamGamgee
beers 2452 º places 182 º 15:58 Sat 4/12/2014

Originally posted by drowland
People also seem to forget that these beers are judged within certain guidelines. The best beer in the flight (by some person’s opinion) may not be the best beer suited to that set of style guidelines.

While this is true, I have it on the word of a long time WBC and GABF judge that the guidelines aren’t actually that important compared to flawless beer. So many beers entered have obvious flaws that they get thrown out immediately in the first round, and then the beers that make it to the final round in a style just have to be somewhere in the range of the guidelines. What is perceived as the best beer on the table is usually going to win, even if it is a little out of style compared to another. This is why you get beers winning in styles that aren’t always the obvious choice or what they are marketed as. Brewers definitely game the categories to get medals.

SamGamgee
beers 2452 º places 182 º 16:01 Sat 4/12/2014

Amarosa is often over carbonated, flat, or completely turbid out of the bottle. It’s easy to see how it would;t win a medal, even if it is an amazing beer sometimes.

It actually did win silver, so it must have been a reasonably good sample. You’re right though, batch consistency is a major deal, which is why these medals should always be taken with a grain of salt.

Well then I guess I could have looked before posting. If it won silver, it must have been a very good presentation. The judges personal tastes preferred the other beer. We all have to remember that the beer we think is better or gets better ratings is not always the best in the eyes of trained judges.

joeneugs
beers 6372 º places 240 º 16:05 Sat 4/12/2014

Well then I guess I could have looked before posting. If it won silver, it must have been a very good presentation. The judges personal tastes preferred the other beer. We all have to remember that the beer we think is better or gets better ratings is not always the best in the eyes of trained judges.

True, but in my own mind, my palate is better than any of those brain dead judges!

Jamesthebrit
beers 422 º places 22 º 04:51 Sun 4/13/2014

I think a big issue with Hill Farmstead is (and this is a theory since I have never drank one of their beers) that this is a competition based 100% on style, not "goodness" of beer. A good analogy is Burbon Country Barleywine. A truly amazing beer, but I would be remiss if it ever won a metal because it deviates so far from the correct barleywine style (it having lots of stout-like characteristics)

Anyway, pumped to see Founders bring home a gold for Mango Magnifico. That is an amazing beer. Sad no one won from my new crib up in South Carolina but at the same time not really... not a lot of good beer coming out of there at the moment.

b3shine
beers 12183 º places 372 º 05:02 Sun 4/13/2014

Originally posted by Oakes
And so the crying begins.

In the nerd world, your name gets you points for or against. At the judging table, nobody knows and nobody cares. What kind of an entitled, privileged prick do you have to be to get universal praise and love to the point that people pencil in 4.something before they pop the cap, and then act like a baby when the judges’ table eliminates that bias?

Well said.

erway
beers 1004 º places 41 º 08:48 Sun 4/13/2014

Originally posted by Oakes
And so the crying begins.

In the nerd world, your name gets you points for or against. At the judging table, nobody knows and nobody cares. What kind of an entitled, privileged prick do you have to be to get universal praise and love to the point that people pencil in 4.something before they pop the cap, and then act like a baby when the judges’ table eliminates that bias?

Yeah, none of those judges know what they’re talking about.

erway
beers 1004 º places 41 º 08:52 Sun 4/13/2014

True, but in my own mind, my palate is better than any of those brain dead judges!

Did you just call Garret Oliver, Matt Brynildson, Josh Oakes, Charlie Papazian, John Mallet, Vinnie Cilurzo, and an incredibly large number of the brewers of your favorite beers brain dead?