RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Yeungling ties Boston Beer Co as top US brewer

read 3113 times • 48 replies • posted 2/24/2012 10:24:27 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

premium
nuplastikk 4268:41
Yuengling seems to be one of the main beneficiaries of the antiquated PA beer laws that force you to buy a case. That being said, people love the stuff....but I think itís mostly a pricepoint thing.
2/28/2012 10:21:04 PM

Private message send the author a private message

JBeastie
Yuengling also has an enormous brewery in Florida and its available just about everywhere down here including all 7-11ís.
2/29/2012 3:31:30 AM

premium
coldbrewky 1418:67
People arenít wasting time with assholes like you.

Originally posted by billk
And a 5 for Yuengling. Yaay team!

2/29/2012 3:37:58 AM

premium
CanIHave4Beers 3132:74
Originally posted by pepsiedcan
My friend Bill had an old infected keg of Grainbelt that was pretty damn good.
2/29/2012 5:41:43 AM

premium
NobleSquirrel 3437:209
Originally posted by billk
Here we go, more Pennsylvania bullshit for ya.
Straub wants you to be honest with your birth date but if you were born before 1950 you either have to lie anyway or forgo the dumb ass site.
I tried to find the video on PCN Tours where this outfit dumps 50 pound sacks of corn flakes into their brew kettle, but couldnít find it.

...and Sierra Nevada is another highly over rated bunch. At least they make consumable beer though.

So what if they put sacks of flaked corn in their brew kettle? I brew with flaked corn on a few times of year and the beer is delicious. Get off off your high horse and shut up about things you donít know about.
2/29/2012 9:55:13 AM

javit
Watch out, if you get into an argument with billk it will probably get deleted.
2/29/2012 10:17:51 AM

CharmCityCrab 148:
Originally posted by BlackIPA
Originally posted by CharmCityCrab
The Yuengling lager isnít really better than Bud, Miller, and Coors,

Not sure I can get on board with that statement

I like that Yuengling lager is there, because itís a bit different from the rest of the beers at itís price point. Variety is good. Having their black and tan at the same price point is good for the same reason. I buy them occasionally, and would buy even more if theyíd put a clear bottled on or freshest by date on their label.

But if you locked me on a desert island and said "You get one type of beer on an endless tap for the next 365 days youíll have to wait for the rescue ship to come in on. What do you want? Yuengling lager or Budweiser lager?", I might actually choose Budweiser. Itíd be a close call, though. It might help that the Bud would be more refreshing in a desert environment. ;)

This thread is kind of making me thirsty for a Yuengling lager, though. Havenít had one for a while. Itíll be at least a few days until I next get to the beer store, but maybe Iíll pick up a 6 pack.

Honestly, I think it depends a bit on my mood. I went through at least like 6 months where every trip to the beer store involved a 6 pack of Yuengling along with whatever else I was getting. Then sometimes Iíve gone a year or more without drinking it. I donít know. Iím fickle when it comes to beer, I guess. I think part of it is that I get the occasional bad bottle of Yuengling (Because they wonít date the dang stuff) and Iím like "Screw this." and donít feel like getting it for a while after that.
2/29/2012 10:31:45 AM

CharmCityCrab 148:
Yuengling Bock rules, though. I just felt the need to reinforce that point from earlier. ;) I wouldnít complain if they made it a year round thing.
2/29/2012 10:33:36 AM

premium
BoostIPA 1181:20

I like that Yuengling lager is there, because itís a bit different from the rest of the beers at itís price point.

Iím not saying that Iím in love with Yuengling, but to my untrained palate I think itís significantly better than Budweiser.
2/29/2012 10:37:19 AM

CharmCityCrab 148:
Originally posted by BlackIPA

I like that Yuengling lager is there, because itís a bit different from the rest of the beers at itís price point.

Iím not saying that Iím in love with Yuengling, but to my untrained palate I think itís significantly better than Budweiser.

Itís all subjective, so Iíd expect a lot of folks on both sides of the issue.

I do think using a few caramel malts mixed in with the pale malts and roasting some of them adds to the beerís character. And it seems more yeasty, or like it has a unique yeast strain. Itís still got a lot corn in it, though, and very little hops presence.

I mean, I guess the question is- does roasting some malt or using a dash of caramel malt automatically make a beer better than using just unroasted pale malts? Is the one yeast strain better than the other? Given that both use corn and neither have much in the way of hops. I donít really know. Depends on what I feel like drinking at the time.

My guess is cost of production of product is similar. Yuenglingís might even be cheaper because they donít date their product and it sits on the shelves and sells even when itís skunked or oxidized to undrinkability.

Like I said, not anti-Yuengling. Got their bock last month. Will probably buy some more bock and/or some lager next month. Just wish theyíd date their product, and not sure it is defacto better than a macro. Macros seem to have the edge in dating and consistency of product from batch to batch and bottle to bottle, for one thing. But I like having the variety there. Itís no fun having your only choice in that price range being variations on the same old pale adjunct lager (Budweiser, Coors, Miller). Yuengling adds a little variation and choice to that price point, which is a good thing. I hate always drinking essentially the same beer.
2/29/2012 10:44:33 AM

Home > Forums > Beer Talk

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers