Your favorite beers that you wont or hate to buy.

Reads 2935 • Replies 43 • Started Saturday, August 20, 2016 7:16:09 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Strykzone
beers 8457 º places 152 º 18:56 Mon 8/22/2016

I hate to buy Blue Moon. I like it enough but when I buy it that means there is no better beer at this particular establishment.

TheHOFF43
beers 2045 º places 169 º 18:59 Mon 8/22/2016

Originally posted by Strykzone
I hate to buy Blue Moon. I like it enough but when I buy it that means there is no better beer at this particular establishment.

Coors Light very likely available in these situations. Go with Coors Light my brother

malvrich
beers 930 º places 5 º 19:03 Mon 8/22/2016

Originally posted by Strykzone

When I find myself in this predicament it’s almost always at a Mexican jernt, in which case I have no issue settling for a Dos or a Negra.

PhillyBeer2112
beers 3498 º places 102 º 07:19 Tue 8/23/2016

Bells. When I first moved to Florida from Kansas I was excited to see that Bells distributed down here. But $11.99+ sixers that nobody buys and just sit and rot on the shelves, well then its no worth.
Same for Founders. They made it to Florida a couple years ago, I was excited. But $15.99 four packs. I just won’t.

mkgrenwel
beers 619 º places 117 º 08:35 Tue 8/23/2016

Originally posted by malvrich
In fact, they lied when I emailed them to ask, saying the date is on the carton (it is not)

Do you really think them lying to you about this is the most likely explanation? It would be pretty pointless, since you would find out immediately as soon as you checked for one. Don’t you think it’s more likely that you grabbed one that happened to be missing the date?

malvrich
beers 930 º places 5 º 08:58 Tue 8/23/2016

Originally posted by mkgrenwel
In fact, they lied when I emailed them to ask, saying the date is on the carton (it is not)

Do you really think them lying to you about this is the most likely explanation? It would be pretty pointless, since you would find out immediately as soon as you checked for one. Don’t you think it’s more likely that you grabbed one that happened to be missing the date?

No, I look at this beer literally every time I go to a store that carries it.
I keep checking, hoping they have STARTED to stamp the cartons. (I’ve checked cans themselves since as well)
As I mentioned, if they start dating it, I will buy it regularly.

mkgrenwel
beers 619 º places 117 º 09:05 Tue 8/23/2016

I keep checking, hoping they have STARTED to stamp the cartons. (I’ve checked cans themselves since as well)

Weird. I’ll take a look at the packaging next time I’m in the store because now I’m curious. It just seems ridiculous that they’d simply make up a lie like that out of whole cloth. There must be more to the story. Was the person writing the email misinformed? Do the stamped dates rub off or fade before they get on the shelf? Do they exist, but in a really hard to find place? Did they have a machine that broke and haven’t been able to stamp them since you had that exchange? Were they expecting to implement this in the near future but haven’t gotten around to it?

I must know. The idea that someone just made up the lie to appease you seems crazy.

Oakes
admin
beers 30657 º places 1135 º 09:12 Tue 8/23/2016

Big one for me is St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout. Once a world classic, but it’s had diacetyl issues to the point where I no longer trust it.

There’s one at a local brewery in a similar situation - good beer when free from butter, but not sufficiently reliable to justify the purchase.

SpringsLicker
beers 4002 º places 158 º 09:29 Tue 8/23/2016

I like Sculpin, but it’s priced out of the market. I think $9.99 is a good price break point for a regular strength 6 pack.

malvrich
beers 930 º places 5 º 09:33 Tue 8/23/2016

Weird. I’ll take a look at the packaging next time I’m in the store because now I’m curious. It just seems ridiculous that they’d simply make up a lie like that out of whole cloth. There must be more to the story. Was the person writing the email misinformed? Do the stamped dates rub off or fade before they get on the shelf? Do they exist, but in a really hard to find place? Did they have a machine that broke and haven’t been able to stamp them since you had that exchange? Were they expecting to implement this in the near future but haven’t gotten around to it?

I must know. The idea that someone just made up the lie to appease you seems crazy.

I agree that this is either a very unusual set of circumstances or a person who doesn’t care very much about customer service (or their job). The thing is; Easy Up has just been introduced in my area a few months ago so I had no qualms buying it at first, but now it’s been sitting for a while and my local TW keeps a metric shitload of it on prominent display so now I’m leary of it. I must have examined >50 cartons of cans since first seeing it because again, in fairness to the brewer it’s a very nice pale ale.