RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Industry | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Your opinions please

read 4561 times • 53 replies • posted 7/27/2012 6:07:04 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6

premium
Beersiveknown 2740:71
colour of label
7/27/2012 6:53:38 AM

Private message send the author a private message

fletche00
Originally posted by ericandersnavy
Originally posted by fletche00
Originally posted by ericandersnavy
organized by brewers in alphabetical order.

Funny, I suppose you want me to put the Budweiser 24 pack cans right next to the front door also?

BMC does not count. They usually have their own doors.

Doors and Shelves are all by region. Have you ever seen a wine section that is in alphabetical order? Serious question too, not trying to be a smart ass.
7/27/2012 7:03:10 AM

premium
b3shine 5156:261
Working on a way to do make your own 6packs, the problem is getting the pricing accurate for the cost.

My favorite bottle shop in Cincinnati (Dutch’s) sells singles for the same cost per fluid oz as they do the beer in their six packs. And they get a lot of additional business because of it.
7/27/2012 7:03:41 AM

premium
BoostIPA 1188:20
Everything is available in single bottles at my local. It is marked up higher though. Average $10 sixpack will have individual bottles for $2.50.
7/27/2012 7:12:16 AM

premium
blklab2007 1939:17
Originally posted by HogTownHarry
Originally posted by BlackIPA
No dusty bottles

+1

This can be a slippery slope. I used to frequent a beer store with a great selection but they wipe down all there bottles to get rid of the dust and in the process wipe off all the date codes and bottled on dates. No more bottles from them that are missing the codes/dates.
7/27/2012 7:16:56 AM

premium
weihenweizen 1609:149
Singles is a must, otherwise people will just go to a grocery store. I don’t care if there is dust on a belgian quad, but dust on a IIPA is a big let down. Pricing is a must, I have bought only one bottle without knowing the price. Good Luck.
7/27/2012 7:17:54 AM

premium
CanIHave4Beers 3142:74
Originally posted by b3shine
Working on a way to do make your own 6packs, the problem is getting the pricing accurate for the cost.

My favorite bottle shop in Cincinnati (Dutch’s) sells singles for the same cost per fluid oz as they do the beer in their six packs. And they get a lot of additional business because of it.

We’ve got a store here that is good but not great that sells every beer by the bottle, you can take a six pack... they’re on the shelves but the price on the shelf lists per bottle. So if you want to find out what a sixer costs you gotta do some math. I’ve never once gone into that place and bought six of the same beer. I love this model.
7/27/2012 7:18:38 AM

premium
blklab2007 1939:17
Originally posted by madvike
Most of the beer stores I frequent in WI put all the WI beers together by brewery, all the rest of the US beers together by brewery, and all imports by brewery. I like that.

I like mix six sections, and I like shops that give a discount for buying six or more higher-priced single bottles.

I would LOVE a store that allowed you to break any six pack and buy by the bottle. When I went to Grand Rapids, Siciliano’s did this and I thought I was in heaven.

Working on a way to do make your own 6packs, the problem is getting the pricing accurate for the cost. What do have everything organized by country and brewery, and everything is priced properly as well. I even have tags that designate which state/country the beers in front of you are from.

Most stores that allow pulling of singles from 6 packs increase the price for singles 15-20 percent higher than the 6 pack price. I also go to one that gives you a 15 percent discount if you buy 6 singles in a mixed pack bringing the price back down close to the 6 pack pricing. I love this in a store and have watched many non beer geeks come in to buy a single beer that maybe only like to have one on a Friday after work? Some people drink all 6 if they are in the house so this becomes portion control if you will.
7/27/2012 7:24:14 AM

premium
Brigadier 2875:257
Originally posted by b3shine

I’ve talked to one or two owners about this. They say that the problem has always been turnover. If people come in, buy one or two bottles, and you don’t get much interest you are now stuck with a broken six pack that has to be discounted. Maybe that’s why many places markup the singles (that and because they can).
7/27/2012 7:29:08 AM

fletche00
Originally posted by blklab2007
Originally posted by madvike
Most of the beer stores I frequent in WI put all the WI beers together by brewery, all the rest of the US beers together by brewery, and all imports by brewery. I like that.

I like mix six sections, and I like shops that give a discount for buying six or more higher-priced single bottles.

I would LOVE a store that allowed you to break any six pack and buy by the bottle. When I went to Grand Rapids, Siciliano’s did this and I thought I was in heaven.

Working on a way to do make your own 6packs, the problem is getting the pricing accurate for the cost. What do have everything organized by country and brewery, and everything is priced properly as well. I even have tags that designate which state/country the beers in front of you are from.

Most stores that allow pulling of singles from 6 packs increase the price for singles 15-20 percent higher than the 6 pack price. I also go to one that gives you a 15 percent discount if you buy 6 singles in a mixed pack bringing the price back down close to the 6 pack pricing. I love this in a store and have watched many non beer geeks come in to buy a single beer that maybe only like to have one on a Friday after work? Some people drink all 6 if they are in the house so this becomes portion control if you will.

To this, we do offer a quantity discount for specialty beer

3-5 Craft Single = 5%
6-11 Craft Singles = 10%
12+ = 15%

Any Singles to 750s are discounted based on quantity. Crown Liquors #19 in Carmel, Indiana. Please check us out next time you drive through the region. Any other suggestions, I would love to hear what you guys have to say.
7/27/2012 7:30:09 AM

Home > Forums > Industry

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers