RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Industry | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Your opinions please

read 4656 times • 53 replies • posted 7/27/2012 6:07:04 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6

fletche00
Originally posted by Brigadier
Originally posted by b3shine
Originally posted by fletche00
Working on a way to do make your own 6packs, the problem is getting the pricing accurate for the cost.

My favorite bottle shop in Cincinnati (Dutchís) sells singles for the same cost per fluid oz as they do the beer in their six packs. And they get a lot of additional business because of it.

Iíve talked to one or two owners about this. They say that the problem has always been turnover. If people come in, buy one or two bottles, and you donít get much interest you are now stuck with a broken six pack that has to be discounted. Maybe thatís why many places markup the singles (that and because they can).

Ran into this problem as well, that is why I am reluctant to allow people to buy single bottles. But what we have done is created mystery 6 packs from some of these left over bottles. We mark the package to give you an idea of whats in it, but only 1 person in the store actually knows whats inside. They have been a pretty big hit.
7/27/2012 7:31:52 AM

Private message send the author a private message

seymour 1471:45
Originally posted by weihenweizen
Singles is a must, otherwise people will just go to a grocery store. I donít care if there is dust on a belgian quad, but dust on a IIPA is a big let down. Pricing is a must, I have bought only one bottle without knowing the price. Good Luck.

+1
7/27/2012 7:46:51 AM

CharmCityCrab 155:
Some of these are just reiterating other peopleís points, but...

1. Visible prices
2. Competitive prices
3. Sales
4. Fresh beer (i.e. if itís out of code or past itís freshness date, get it off the shelves. Nothing turns me off of a beer store faster than buying old beer unwittingly.)
5. No dust
6. Variety of purchase options- 6 packs, 12 packs, bottles. Sometimes I see something thatís not in the quantity of the "spot" Iím trying to fill on the trip that Iíd otherwise buy, and skip it, or itís only in cans and I skip it because I want a bottle (Iím sure there are others who prefer cans to bottles).
7. Hit all price points. Just because you might be focused on craft, doesnít mean you shouldnít stock some really cheap beers, too. Sometimes Iíll walk in and grab some craft beer and also some dirt cheap beer to balance my budget.
8. Variety is nice, itís good to have different beers to pick from.
9. Make sure you get the seasonals, a lot of people make special trips to the beer store to get, say, the Octoberfests from different brewers, and if they find they arenít in one store, will go hit another one, and maybe thatíll be their new regular beer store if they find what theyíre looking for.
10. Friendly staff. Went to a store with a snarky cashier once that seemed to borderline insult his patrons. Even heard other staff talking about how some of the regulars had disappeared since heíd started manning a registar (People wonít always tell you about it and make it an issue, they just stop coming). They got rid of him and got a guy who smiles at you and sometimes takes a buck or two off your order if he recognizes you, and now there are noticeably more customers there.
10. Shopping carts- Nothing worse than standing in line trying to hold two 12 packs holding your arm doesnít fall off, or walking them to the car hoping you donít drop them. And the psychology of shopping carts is that people buy more stuff when people they have a cart, theyíre subconciously trying to fill it. Thatís why most Wal-Marts only have carts and not shopping baskets.
11. People who understand beer and can answer questions are nice if you can find them to hire. I remember once asking someone if they had a particular stout at one store, and no one knew what a stout was.
7/27/2012 8:05:58 AM

fletche00
Originally posted by CharmCityCrab
Some of these are just reiterating other peopleís points, but...

1. Visible prices
2. Competitive prices
3. Sales
4. Fresh beer (i.e. if itís out of code or past itís freshness date, get it off the shelves. Nothing turns me off of a beer store faster than buying old beer unwittingly.)
5. No dust
6. Variety of purchase options- 6 packs, 12 packs, bottles. Sometimes I see something thatís not in the quantity of the "spot" Iím trying to fill on the trip that Iíd otherwise buy, and skip it, or itís only in cans and I skip it because I want a bottle (Iím sure there are others who prefer cans to bottles).
7. Hit all price points. Just because you might be focused on craft, doesnít mean you shouldnít stock some really cheap beers, too. Sometimes Iíll walk in and grab some craft beer and also some dirt cheap beer to balance my budget.
8. Variety is nice, itís good to have different beers to pick from.
9. Make sure you get the seasonals, a lot of people make special trips to the beer store to get, say, the Octoberfests from different brewers, and if they find they arenít in one store, will go hit another one, and maybe thatíll be their new regular beer store if they find what theyíre looking for.
10. Friendly staff. Went to a store with a snarky cashier once that seemed to borderline insult his patrons. Even heard other staff talking about how some of the regulars had disappeared since heíd started manning a registar (People wonít always tell you about it and make it an issue, they just stop coming). They got rid of him and got a guy who smiles at you and sometimes takes a buck or two off your order if he recognizes you, and now there are noticeably more customers there.
10. Shopping carts- Nothing worse than standing in line trying to hold two 12 packs holding your arm doesnít fall off, or walking them to the car hoping you donít drop them. And the psychology of shopping carts is that people buy more stuff when people they have a cart, theyíre subconciously trying to fill it. Thatís why most Wal-Marts only have carts and not shopping baskets.
11. People who understand beer and can answer questions are nice if you can find them to hire. I remember once asking someone if they had a particular stout at one store, and no one knew what a stout was.

All of us here are are big beer drinkers. We all have our own suggestions due to our particular tastes, and we all have a different style we prefer. Everything you listed are good things to keep in mind, and we follow most of them. The shopping cart doesnt work due to the size of the store. But our staff is very friendly, and we frequently help patrons carry product to their car in any situation.

-Zach
7/27/2012 8:18:45 AM

premium
3fourths 8228:1352
unpasteurized, bottle conditioned beer should go in a cooler, not on a warm shelf. same goes for lagers.
7/27/2012 8:18:57 AM

premium
b3shine 5819:273
Originally posted by 3fourths
unpasteurized, bottle conditioned beer should go in a cooler, not on a warm shelf. same goes for lagers.

+1
7/27/2012 8:24:10 AM

premium
StefanSD 2188:45
Originally posted by ericandersnavy
organized by brewers in alphabetical order.

Funny, I suppose you want me to put the Budweiser 24 pack cans right next to the front door also?

BMC does not count. They usually have their own doors.

Stack the Bud in the parking lot.
7/27/2012 8:33:47 AM

premium
pepsican 1451:53
Originally posted by ktaylor570
^^ Agree. We have a store here that has 1100 different beers (so they claim) and have them organized by style. That is frustrating as hell. If I know I want something from Founders and donít know too much about the beer, I have to ask someone. If all Founderís were together, I could just find it and move on.

We pulled that crap for almost a year. Iíve been looking at the same beer skus for almost 5 years and Iíd get confused trying to find a beer for a customer. Yuck.
7/27/2012 8:40:50 AM

premium
pepsican 1451:53
Originally posted by StefanSD
organized by brewers in alphabetical order.

Funny, I suppose you want me to put the Budweiser 24 pack cans right next to the front door also?

BMC does not count. They usually have their own doors.

Stack the Bud in the parking lot.

Something like 5 bud lights sold for each craft beer sold. Why would you say no to easy profit? Minimal customer interaction, a distributor that does all of the work, high volume, decent margins.
7/27/2012 8:50:51 AM

premium
levifunk 12:
A store in town puts a small "new" tag next to the price on the shelf to indicate which beers they have recently got in. I like this a lot. When you regularly go into a store, you know what they have, and so this is helpful for me to see the things I may not have seen previously.
7/27/2012 8:53:41 AM

Home > Forums > Industry

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers