RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Industry | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Your opinions please

read 4564 times • 53 replies • posted 7/27/2012 6:07:04 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6

jbrana 406:33
Oh, and when special releases come in, put them on the shelf. Donít hide them behind the counter or in the back and make people ask for them.
7/27/2012 12:47:42 PM

Private message send the author a private message

matt7215 2155:64
Originally posted by matt7215
first take down the perfect rating you gave your store

7/27/2012 4:38:00 PM

jbrana 406:33

Ha... good eye. Iíve stopped at this store twice while traveling on US 31. The first time I went, I found Three Floyds Gumballhead so I bought some. A few months later I was in the area, so I dropped in and asked for Gumballhead and one of the employees treated me like I was a complete idiot and as if I had asked for the rarest beer in the world. I then asked for Boulevard BBQ (since it had just came out) and he said they didnít have it, but tried to sell me on a bunch of bourbon barrel stouts. I wasnít impressed...
7/27/2012 5:10:43 PM

premium
obguthr 3653:20
Six and twelve packs alphabetically, by brewer. Folks who buy this format are looking for breweries. Singles, by style, clearly marked. This helps educate noobs looking to try new styles without commiting to a whole sixer.
7/27/2012 8:58:30 PM

JLLSU 238:1
Originally posted by jbrana

Ha... good eye. Iíve stopped at this store twice while traveling on US 31. The first time I went, I found Three Floyds Gumballhead so I bought some. A few months later I was in the area, so I dropped in and asked for Gumballhead and one of the employees treated me like I was a complete idiot and as if I had asked for the rarest beer in the world. I then asked for Boulevard BBQ (since it had just came out) and he said they didnít have it, but tried to sell me on a bunch of bourbon barrel stouts. I wasnít impressed...

The most diabolical hater this side of the Mississippi
7/27/2012 9:48:55 PM

premium
jmagnus87 2401:85
Originally posted by levifunk
A store in town puts a small "new" tag next to the price on the shelf to indicate which beers they have recently got in. I like this a lot. When you regularly go into a store, you know what they have, and so this is helpful for me to see the things I may not have seen previously.

A store around me does this. They also have tags that say "last ones". For me, if there is a beer iíve been eying for aa while and it has one of those tags ill probably grab it
7/29/2012 10:43:53 PM

SPDickerman 917:89
visible prices, no dusty bottles, organize by brewer (preferably alphabetical) and then by "style" or "lightest to darkest" or "hoppiest to sweetest" or something like that.

keep BMC in the back, in a far-off cooler.
7/29/2012 10:59:36 PM

502Che 999:47
I dont use these features, but id imagine updates vis tweet or facebook would be nice
9/15/2012 11:51:44 AM

premium
drowland 5981:172
sexy ladies
9/15/2012 12:05:05 PM

robrules 1
Three things are important to me when I shop for beer - style, freshness, and price.

I would love to see a store organized by style - but with so many uneducated people out there buying/selling beer that this probably isnít possible. If its a regularly made beer that doesnít have supply issues, it should not go missing for weeks on end - keep an eye on every brand and order appropriately.

Depending on style (I buy mostly lager, pale ales, and IPAs) if it doesnít have a date, I wonít buy it - even if you say you "just got it in" - you have no idea how long its been sitting at the distributor, so donít even try to tell me its fresh, I trust no one. If the brewery only dates the case, cut that piece out and tape it to the shelf, and keep them up to date as you open new cases. If a pale ale or IPA is more than 2 months old, Iím not buying it - be sure that you can turn over your inventory of delicate beers that fast - and stick them in the fridge to slow down the aging process.

Research your competition and undercut them slighlty - if only by $.25/6 pack or large bottle format- charge more than everyone else and I will just shop elsewhere.

If its not priced, Iím not going to ask, and Iím not going to buy - youíre just wasting my time, Iíll find some place that cares enough to price its products.

Donít ask someone more than once if you can help them (including multiple workers) - also let them browse first before poking your nose in where it may not belong - also not everyone that stares at the selections endesly wants or needs help.

9/20/2012 9:16:33 AM

Home > Forums > Industry

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers