Your thoughts on strippers at the CBC, Portland

Reads 9595 • Replies 126 • Started Monday, April 27, 2015 2:32:22 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

spacecoyote
09:42 Tue 4/28/2015

When my thoughts are all over the place I find that writing them down often helps to coalesce the din. Then again, sometimes it just makes things worse.

Berbatov
beers 30 º places 6 º 09:49 Tue 4/28/2015

this is pathetic. the fact people are complaining about strippers at events they didn’t have to go too.

everyone is so fucking sensitive these days.

SilkTork
beers 7741 º places 111 º 09:54 Tue 4/28/2015

I’m OK with strippers be they male or female. I suppose it’s all in the perception. Some people are more sensitive regarding sexuality in entertainment than others. Each to their own.

Ancient stripper

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 10:06 Tue 4/28/2015

Originally posted by mR_fr0g
Looks like Sassy’s is misspelled in the RB places database -> http://www.ratebeer.com/p/sassies/53540/

and only 1 review. For a place with 25 taps this is a little surprising.

As I figured. This place was elsewhere referred to as "The Falling Rock Of Portland" in defense of the events there.

There are probably a couple dozen places that have better tap lists?

SilkTork
beers 7741 º places 111 º 10:13 Tue 4/28/2015

Originally posted by haukur
Saying this is a "Portland thing" seems just like a silly excuse. Strippers, dancers, girls in minishirts etc. etc. is just pure sexism. A brewery putting their name on an event like that is equal to supporting gender inequality.

The year is 2015. Time for people to grow up.

I’m not understanding the gender inequality thing regarding 2015. How were either the men or women (or both?) being treated unequally? The issue is not the job you do, it’s how you are paid or perceived. If anyone is paying the strippers poorly or perceiving them negatively (purely because they use sexuality as part of their job, for example) that’s a problem.

Sexuality is not gender inequality, it’s gender difference. Add girls like girls and boys like boys. This is life as well. Gender inequality would be paying male strippers a different rate (either higher or lower) than female strippers, rather than a different rate due to their experience, skill or ability.

When we go watch female tennis players, are we being sexist? The females play shorter games than the men. And (heaven help us - call the morality police) some of the women wear clothing that shows their knickers.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 10:14 Tue 4/28/2015

Yieee

DuffMan
beers 10981 º places 349 º 10:19 Tue 4/28/2015

Originally posted by Berbatov
this is pathetic. the fact people are complaining about strippers at events they didn’t have to go too.

everyone is so fucking sensitive these days.

It’s not "pathetic". People are discussing how a brewer chooses to present themselves at a public function. I’m not offended in the least by strippers. But I think it’s fucking moronic and sophomoric and a bad business decision to link your business to strippers if you’re trying to broaden your consumer base. That’s my opinion, and it’s not pathetic.

Gary
beers 2114 º places 4 º 10:20 Tue 4/28/2015

sounds grate

Maakun
beers 10309 º places 319 º 10:20 Tue 4/28/2015

Originally posted by SilkTork

I’m not understanding the gender inequality thing regarding 2015.

How many bearded, overweight beer geeks are being sexualised on a daily basis?

Right....

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 10:23 Tue 4/28/2015

Originally posted by SilkTork
Originally posted by haukur
Saying this is a "Portland thing" seems just like a silly excuse. Strippers, dancers, girls in minishirts etc. etc. is just pure sexism. A brewery putting their name on an event like that is equal to supporting gender inequality.

The year is 2015. Time for people to grow up.

I’m not understanding the gender inequality thing regarding 2015. How were either the men or women (or both?) being treated unequally? The issue is not the job you do, it’s how you are paid or perceived. If anyone is paying the strippers poorly or perceiving them negatively (purely because they use sexuality as part of their job, for example) that’s a problem.

Sexuality is not gender inequality, it’s gender difference. Add girls like girls and boys like boys. This is life as well. Gender inequality would be paying male strippers a different rate (either higher or lower) than female strippers, rather than a different rate due to their experience, skill or ability.

When we go watch female tennis players, are we being sexist? The females play shorter games than the men. And (heaven help us - call the morality police) some of the women wear clothing that shows their knickers.

What if your workplace suddenly elected to have a "WELSH DAY!" and all people of Welsh ancestry were told to come to work nude and on display so that others at work could become sexually aroused?

You weren’t forced to do it but the company had other Welsh people around outside the office, at your lunch spots, dropping their bits on you and your friends.

They never had a Scots Day, not an Irish Day, nor anything else. The Welsh were the only ones asked to be nude. Because people knew you were Welsh, men and women alike would stare at your crotch during meetings around Welsh Day because they were curious, and because it’s well know that Welsh people have more interesting genitalia.

You of course didn’t mind too much yourself but people in your family reported that Welsh Day was the source of all sorts of problems at school and at work.

Finally, a workplace that openly wanted to attract more Welsh, because they’re smarter, formerly never celebrated Welsh Day but then started to anyway. Some Welsh people pointed out that Welsh Day probably discourages Welsh hires at the company. Some of the people were very confused, and as it turns out, were all non-Welsh.