Beer travel UK and Belgium Nov 2010

Reads 1533 • Replies 8 • Started Sunday, November 28, 2010 9:39:38 AM CT

Thread Frozen

ClubBelgique
beers 4 º places 18 º 09:39 Sun 11/28/2010

Iíve traveled and enjoyed beers for years, and kept record of the beers sampled/rated.

I donít know why I never did this before, but I had an epiphany during my last trip where someone asked (about my apparent love for beer) "do you have a blog about it?"

I then found "ratebeer" and "beermapping" and plan to populate articles, beers and brewery and pub/cafe ratings. Enjoy. And we did do some work during each day.

http://opusmark.blogspot.com/2010/11/beer-trip-uk-belgium-be-g-h-i.html

glennc
places 11 º 09:50 Sun 11/28/2010

Originally posted by exNewt
Iíve traveled and enjoyed beers for years, and kept record of the beers sampled/rated.

I donít know why I never did this before, but I had an epiphany during my last trip where someone asked (about my apparent love for beer) "do you have a blog about it?"

I then found "ratebeer" and "beermapping" and plan to populate articles, beers and brewery and pub/cafe ratings. Enjoy. And we did do some work during each day.

http://opusmark.blogspot.com/2010/11/beer-trip-uk-belgium-be-g-h-i.html

Great write-up. Glad you seem to have enjoyed your visit at our brewery (Alvinne). The cheese on your snack was "Pottekeis", a typical cheese that actually pairs best with lambik and geuze. We served is as hoppas (beer tapas one could say), because you happened to be in Belgium during "The week of taste". Well, you did quite some tasting, hope to see you again one day

Glenn c

tdtm82
beers 1701 º places 129 º 13:43 Sun 11/28/2010

Need to visit Moor. How easy was it to arrange a visit? I am in the vicinity about once a year. I would love to sample JJJ at the brewery.

ClubBelgique
beers 4 º places 18 º 13:55 Sun 11/28/2010

Wish I had more time and had known about your brewery and asked for a brief tour. But we loved your beers and your hospitality. Next year maybe.

ClubBelgique
beers 4 º places 18 º 14:19 Sun 11/28/2010

Originally posted by tdtm82
Need to visit Moor. How easy was it to arrange a visit? I am in the vicinity about once a year. I would love to sample JJJ at the brewery.

What I found was a wiiiide range of responses. Some breweries emails right back and said "come on by" or had posted opening hours. Others said "oh, no thank you, no tours now, sorry". Honestly some of the smallest breweries were the friendliest.

evergreen0199
beers 3365 º 14:23 Sun 11/28/2010

Nice write up, you certainly packed a hell of a lot in on that trip!

Erlangernick
beers 1 º places 2 º 00:29 Mon 11/29/2010

Nothing makes me, a Yank who bicycles on roads in Europe, queasier than hearing about other Yanks coming over and relying on their iphone apps to tell them how much more than can drink (while jetlagged) and still drive around in foreign traffic conditions "safely", based purely on how close their BAC might come to the legal limit.

ClubBelgique
beers 4 º places 18 º 04:37 Mon 11/29/2010

a) jet lag, for me anyway, is non-existent going eastwards
b) whomever was driving was literally sipping the beers; drinking while walking in places like Antwerp was a different story
c) would you prefer an old-school "BAC calculation wheel?"

Erlangernick
beers 1 º places 2 º 00:21 Tue 11/30/2010

Glad youíve got it all figured out!

Originally posted by exNewt
a) jet lag, for me anyway, is non-existent going eastwards
Or for "whomever was driving".

b) whomever was driving was literally sipping the beers;
Then why the need for the calculations at all then, and "sipping" up to near-impairment BAC levels?
drinking while walking in places like Antwerp was a different story
c) would you prefer an old-school "BAC calculation wheel?"

What Iíd prefer, Iíll never get: that Americans drive in Europe without typical American attitudes toward "knowing their limits", not to mention bicyclists sharing the roads. Of course Iím ignorant of your stand on the latter--Iím generalizing there.

Not sure how it is in Belgium, but if you drive in Germany, be advised that random BAC checks are legal and do happen, and if you should happen to be in an accident --regardless of fault-- the legal BAC limit is half the regular .05%. So if some half blind 95 YO grandmother crashes into you after youíve had a few sips of Bock, youíll get a DUI at .025%. And BAC checks are mandatory in accidents, AFAIK.

Also w.r.t. Germany: your insurance doesnít have to cover you if youíre in an accident (regardless of fault) over 130 kph on the Autobahn.