Wet Tamarind

Reads 1680 • Replies 8 • Started Sunday, November 14, 2004 4:07:30 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Choos
beers 1310 º 04:07 Sun 11/14/2004

Hi All,

Just getting through the last of my small batch of homebrew that I added wet Tamarind too and thought I would share with you all.

Basically I used some packed wet Tamarind in place of crystal malt in a Kilkenny clone and couldn’t be happier fruit aroma and sour fruit flavour wise.

I followed the recipe from Grumpys and replaced the crystal malt with roughly the same amount of wet Tamarind (one without added salt) to the boil at the same time as the bittering hops.

http://www.grumpys.com.au/r1.php3?recipeid=11

I used the 1084 Irish Ale yeast (because I had it) and have always loved the Northern Brewer for Bittering, Fuggles for Flavouring and Goldings for Aroma combination anyway.

Wet Tamarind can be found in lots of Asian grocery stores (in plastic packets) and is used as a souring agent in such soups as Tom Yum (hot and sour soup) and Massaman curries.

Frank
beers 4473 º places 92 º 12:14 Mon 11/15/2004

That’s really curious... Why’d you add the taramind at the beginning of the boil? Seems like that would drive off some aromatic and flavor components.

JorisPPattyn
beers 12118 º places 81 º 13:11 Mon 11/15/2004

I am, for some specific reasons VERY interested in the result of your tamarinde experiment. Did you use completely purified tamarind pulp, without the big kernels?
And most, did it convey any sourishness to your beer?
I can well understand, BTW Frank, to use it before the boiling - in eastern recipes, tamarind acts as a souring agent, to offset very spicey, hot curries, and it acts still perfectly after being boiled, cooked,...
Choos, if you have more info about the taste, I would be very glad to be kept informed.
Cheers, Joris

Frank
beers 4473 º places 92 º 13:14 Mon 11/15/2004

This is really one of the most interesting ideas I’ve seen on this board (or any board) mostly because I’ve never even heard of taramind before this. Does it have any thickening properties/unfermentable sugars that make it suitable as a replacement for crystal?

Choos
beers 1310 º 16:28 Wed 11/17/2004

"... Why’d you add the taramind at the beginning of the boil" as Joris said it is used in a lot of recipes as a souring agent, in Thai soups you break it into small pieces and add it to your pot as part of the base so it has time to break down. You should be aware with wet Tamarind that it actively absorbs moisture at first so I really wanted to give it time to break apart in the boil.

It doesn’t seem to change the flavour (at least to me) either when it’s fresh or has been boiled for some time (I have tried it).

"Did you use completely purified tamarind pulp, without the big kernels" I checked all the different packets and the one I settled on was all fruit though it sometimes contains some of those huge rock like seeds. I also made sure to avoid the ones that stated they have added salt as I have no idea how much they add.

"If you have more info about the taste, I would be very glad to be kept informed" the flavours it added were VERY tamarind like, mainly slightly sour apricot/nectarine. It went really well with spicy food barely loosing any flavour. It did darken the brew to a genuine orange/amber colour as well.

"Does it have any thickening properties/unfermentable sugars that make it suitable as a replacement for crystal?" not that I am aware of, I assume the sugars present are fructose but if you boil it for long enough a lot of it will break down and i’m sure it did thicken up my brew a bit just by the number of PPM it added.

I used it in place of crystal malt not for the properties but because I was curious about how much flavour it would add.

Unfortunately I finished my whole batch but plan to make another one when the weather is a bit cooler.

eczematic
beers 1332 º places 3 º 22:35 Wed 11/17/2004

wow choos, that is really cool.

JorisPPattyn
beers 12118 º places 81 º 00:58 Thu 11/18/2004

Thanks for the follow-up!
I will keep searching for your posts on the tamarind. Much luck with the second batch!
Joris

SaveTheAles
beers 5 º 01:15 Thu 11/18/2004

I had a well-aged (several-year old) Tamarind mead last year, but it had too much strange flavor for my tastes. However, I have a feeling others here would probably have liked it.

Choos
beers 1310 º 02:27 Sat 11/20/2004

Wow STA mead is cool and that sounds unique, of course I know I would loved to have tried it!

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer