Australian International Beer Awards

Reads 2389 • Replies 11 • Started Thursday, April 19, 2007 11:17:10 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

winkle
beers 478 º places 29 º 23:17 Thu 4/19/2007

Results are here http://www.beerawards.com/results.asp let the annual head scratching begin Some of our micros did pretty well

mutant
beers 854 º places 1 º 00:51 Fri 4/20/2007

Just read the results in a hurried fashion.
Weihenstephan Kristall is ok but isn’t a champion of anything.

Stella Atois Best Victorian Beer.

Knappstein reserve Lager only a silver medal. yet,

Belle-vue kriek got a Gold in the Lambics.

Lots of other things I could find fault with if I could be bothered. Unfortunately, I have to regard this competition as a joke. Seems like you get a medal just for turning up. The bigger the "entry fee [cough] bribe [cough], the better the colour.

Some micros got crumbs but their honours are diminished by some of the other ’winners’. I don’t know what else to say.

voota
beers 765 º places 91 º 03:27 Fri 4/20/2007

Its a farce...

For me the most entertaining bit was,
Steve Bracks commenting in his press release "Congratulations again to fosters... I wish them every success with their award winning Stella Artois.

kook
beers 2033 º places 34 º 03:34 Fri 4/20/2007

I’m pleased about the results for Pheonix Beers/International Beer Shop (Weihenstephan). They’ve put a lot of effort into their work in the past and had dissapointing results previously. It’s about time they were recognised for bringing good beers in and promoting quality beer.

omhper
beers 28433 º places 269 º 03:39 Fri 4/20/2007

I like this:

C Lambic, including Geuze, Kriek, etc
584 Brasserie Huyghe Gold
Delirium Tremens

Noticed that most of the judges were from Lion Nathan etc. which might explain it. I also noticed that Linc is listed as associate judge.

duff
beers 5484 º places 40 º 05:36 Fri 4/20/2007

Originally posted by omhper
I like this:

C Lambic, including Geuze, Kriek, etc
584 Brasserie Huyghe Gold
Delirium Tremens

Noticed that most of the judges were from Lion Nathan etc. which might explain it. I also noticed that Linc is listed as associate judge.

yeah, maybe it was Linc who scored that one haha!!! He may have also helped Belle Vue Kriek get gold aswell, well done Linc

mullet
beers 849 º places 230 º 11:06 Fri 4/20/2007

Fucking hell, there were some interesting beers entered this year.

Linc I hope you scored some of the leftover Jolly Pumpkin, Stone, Great Divide and DFH stuff. I’ll be on the next train to Ballarat.

winkle
beers 478 º places 29 º 21:08 Fri 4/20/2007

Originally posted by mutant

Lots of other things I could find fault with if I could be bothered. Unfortunately, I have to regard this competition as a joke. Seems like you get a medal just for turning up. The bigger the "entry fee [cough] bribe [cough], the better the colour.

Some micros got crumbs but their honours are diminished by some of the other ’winners’. I don’t know what else to say.

I had a Bellevue Kriek the other day and it was quite good - not sickly sweet & quite tart. Have they started to make it better, or did I get a good bottle from a bad batch. Or are my taste buds totally shot from drinking high gravity beers

mutant
beers 854 º places 1 º 06:41 Sat 4/21/2007

Originally posted by winkle
Originally posted by mutant

I had a Bellevue Kriek the other day and it was quite good - not sickly sweet & quite tart. Have they started to make it better, or did I get a good bottle from a bad batch. Or are my taste buds totally shot from drinking high gravity beers

No your tastebuds aren’t shot. Belle-vue Kriek is not a terrible beer. Indeed when I rated it, it was my first kriek and I gave it great numbers. However after having had more experience, I reckon it’s miles from a gold medal lambic, made relatively sweet and conservative by Inbev. It might be seen as a gateway lambic in the same way that Guinness is a gateway stout. Compare with the Knappstein Lager which the brewer has made really flavourful (risky I know) and it gets a silver.

bridge
beers 659 º places 1 º 05:56 Sun 4/22/2007

Very interesting results to say the least. I’m keen to hear the low down from our man on the inside...

Linc
beers 740 º places 15 º 02:56 Mon 4/23/2007

Yeah, I’ll agree, there are some dodgy results, but geez, when you’ve got 941 beers your gonna get that.

I also think that the number of medal winners is too high, something like 60% of entrants scored a medal. Just to clarify that though, a bronze medal is given if a beer meets the basic style guidelines with no major flaws, so getting a bronze doesn’t really mean that you’ve impressed the judges, just that you haven’t offended their tastebuds.

If you take a look at the scores overall, you’ll see that most of them make sense. Just as a matter of interest, you can compare how the micros stacked up to the mega breweries. They were actually judged side by side but the results are split up. Class 1 compares to class 27, class 2 compares with 28, class 3 with 29 and so on.

As far as the best Victorian brewed beer being Stella, well, it was brewed in Vic and it was damn good. For some reason it always tastes like shit when I buy it, but the stuff they sent to beer awards (bottled, not draught) was stellar Stella. I would buy the stuff if I knew it would be that good every time!

Overall though, every effort is made to ensure the judging is fair, it’s all conducted blind and without communication between judges; the results are totally legit.

Oh, and I didn’t judge the lambics, so you can’t blame me!