overall
Brewed by Les Brasseurs Savoyards
Style: Porter
Grand Epagny Nord, France

RATINGS: 16   MEAN: 2.44/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.53/5   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Formerly La Cordée Brune.

• Locate Sellers

DraftPours23 (1589) - FRANCE - MAY 14, 2019
UPDATED: MAY 14, 2019 Robe brun-rouge, très léger voile, belle mousse légèrement colorée, assez tenace. Nez de malt assez grillé. Bouche plutôt amère (grillé), malt bien cuit, rondeur, épices. L'amertume persiste en longueur. On a une brune lambda, classique mais pas mauvaise. Plutôt bien équilibrée.

sevenstars (158) - - OCT 23, 2018
UPDATED: OCT 23, 2018 Clear dark chestnut with low head fading to tan ring Aromas are sweet roasted malt, malt bread, bready baked crusts, malty biscuits and a bit of cheesy malt funk. No coffee no char no dry roast bitterness bitterness. Taste is dark caramel, rich roast malt with hoppy backbone. Body is low bitterness and dry, low fading carbonation. It feels very light no alc flavor or warmth. Finish round and short finish on stale bread crusts

zacgillbanks (6572) - Tyne & Wear, ENGLAND - AUG 30, 2018
7.0% ABV bottle from Mam and Dad's Holiday, France. Dark brown-copper coloured with a thin white head. It has a chocolate, coffee and roasted flavour with toffee and malty notes on the smooth nutty finish. Good.

chimayx (157) - FRANCE - FEB 17, 2018
UPDATED: FEB 17, 2018 Plutôt sympa, entre la porter et la Schwarz. Bruen, reflet rouge, ambrée. Le corps est léger, presque aqueux, mais du coup elle reste très facilement buvalble. Arômes de réglisse, toast, léger cacao, un peu de piquant en fin de bouche. Simple, mais ce qu'on attend d'une bonne bière quotidienne

TomHendriksen (2543) - NETHERLANDS - AUG 30, 2017
Fles gekocht in Frankrijk, geprobeerd met LiekevdV. Het is een donker bruin bier met weinig schuim. Het heeft een gebrande smaak met tonen van koffie en gebrande caramel. De smaak is gebrande koffie, chocolade en caramel. De nasmaak is zoet.

ruigo (3079) - PORTUGAL - AUG 1, 2017
75cl bottle. Almost clear dark brown with a medium tan head. Malty, light chocolate and caramel. A bit sour.

0.9
Flanfl (832) - Lyon, FRANCE - JAN 20, 2016
Deep brown body, medium not lasting head. Lively carbo, coca cola like. Aroma of caramel, burned candy sugar. Flavour is crap, brown sugar, molasse, completly thined. Horrible after taste, the bad brown sugar stick... One of the worst beer I ever had....

ogivlado (9937) - Zagreb, CROATIA - JAN 18, 2016
Bottled 330ml. -from Sherpa supermarket, Alpe d’Huez. Dark amber coloured, medium sized brownish head, whiff of caramel in the nose. Toasted malt, caramel, light nutty and fruity with touch of spices and slightly acidic caramel finish.

kanaclane (737) - - JUN 14, 2015
Nez: Malt rôti, réglisse Bouche: Réglisse, vanille, fruits secs Ça manque de corps malgré tout et dommage que la carbonatation soit aussi marquée

Alengrin (7423) - BELGIUM - MAY 22, 2015
My one but last tasting of this brand. Loose, coarse, thin, light beige head over a clear, deep brownish bronze beer. Aroma attacks the nose with a smell of, excusez le mot, manure, and this time I mean it the bad way. No matter how I try to find something more flattering, the word ’fertilized farmland’ (or, more offensively put, ’slurry pit’) pops up every time I have a sniff - even to the point that I get inclined to pour it down the drain right away; past this very unpleasant, let’s politely say ’organic’ smell, there admittedly are less offensive hints of cookie dough, cocoa, dried leaves, cold coffee (something I utterly detest, by the way), earth or even compost, moulded walnuts, cold tea bags used over and over again - but no happy fruity esters whatsoever, again suggesting a lager rather than an ale. The taste makes me laugh with a grin of bitter irony: this is much sweeter than expected, almost coke-like, with a sharply tingling, soda-like carbonation; if tasted blind, I’d reckon someone is playing a trick on me and serving me a very bad home-made Coca Cola imitation instead of beer. Mouthfeel is thin, not to say watery; after the initial coke-like sweetness, a weird, deep sourishness pops up, not unlike a Flemish red, but far less ’cultivated’ and probably due to unwanted infection - milk gone sour, let’s say. I keep waiting for dark malts, but they never really show up; I do not even get a light caramelly flavour, which would be the least one is entitled to expect from a dark ’ale’. Finish is bland and thin, and retains the infected lactic sourness; the sweetness fortunately has largely receded by then. Hop bitterness, or in fact bitterness whatsoever, also stays as good as absent, though with some goodwill, a very deep background bitterness is noticeable. This tastes like a mixture of coke with sour milk, and the putrid odour does not help to make this experience better. I have tasted five out of six beers in this brand now and I have to say, I am holding a grudge against it by now. I will taste the Blanche, the last one remaining, but I have no expectations of it anymore. What a horrible brand of ’beers’... The more of them I taste, the more I am convinced of, primo, these guys have no idea what they are doing, and secundo, all of them are simple lagers unsubtly flavoured with other things. Which makes these brewers liars as well, because their website claims they brew top-fermented beers. I deeply, sincerely and thoroughly hate BS. And why classify this thing as a porter? I honestly have no idea what this is in terms of style, I’d roughly guess a sourly infected ’Dunkel’ or something, but whatever this Frankenstein’s monster is, it is as much a porter as Coors Light is an IPA; at best, and I say this with great emphasis, this is a poor imitation of the Flanders sour / red brown style. Still, since the porters of the 19th century probably suffered from bacterial infections as well, I will, for one time, not complain about style classification here. If I’d accept this is a porter, which I do not, this is by far the worst one I ever tasted.