overall
Brewed by St. Bernardus Brouwerij
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Watou, Belgium

RATINGS: 4352   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.14/5   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
The St. Bernardus Abt 12 is the pride of our stable, the nec plus ultra of our brewery. Abbey ale brewed in the classic ’Quadrupel’ style of Belgium’s best Abbey Ales. Dark with a full, ivory-colored head. It has a fruity aroma, full of complex flavours and excels because of its long bittersweet finish with a hoppy bite. Worldwide seen as one of the best beers in the world. It’s a very balanced beer, with a full-bodied taste and a perfect equilibrium between malty, bitter, and sweet. One of the original recipes from the days of license-brewing for the Trappist monks of Westvleteren.

• Statistics
  • Locate Sellers

Susan M (2) - - JUL 22, 2018 does not count
UPDATED: JUL 22, 2018 This beer was really tasty, but unfortunately, not as good as I had hoped. It had a bit of carbonation, like a champagne, and was not as smooth as other quads I have tried. Honestly, this is making me want to change my ratings on the others! I had bought 4 to sample, because I had tried a couple a Taco Mac, and wanted to figure out which brand would be the best. At least for me with my extremely limited beer palate! I certainly hope no one who really knows beer listens to anything I have to say. My ratings are for other notices only....

Flag08 (225) - - JUL 19, 2018
UPDATED: JUL 19, 2018 Bottle, 330 ml @ The Old Fishing Shack. I saw a tasting video with the Beerists tasting this one among others. This is definitely a big boy. Hazy dark brown with light beige head, it can be brought back anytime by swirling the glass. Aromas of forest fruits, plum, vanilla and a huge syrupy sweetness. After opening the bottle it smelled like champagne... of course, cz it'bottle conditioned, and Belgians are re-fermented in bottle with Champagne yeast. The cause is very obvious: they don't want anybody to steal the yeast. During the smelling the Champagne yeast aroma is still persistent. The palate is a bomb: actually it tastes less sweeter than it smells, but it's still heavy. Full bodied, high in alcohol, almost unbalanced - the alcohol is persostant after swallowing. It's hard to cover 10% ABV. Taste is dominated by caramel and dark forest fruits. Great concept, well made Quad, don't drink it alone, share with a friend... actually i got the clue that it's not the truly original one, it's the 'outsourced', so it's the 'fake' one of this...

Brokkie (429) - - JUL 18, 2018
Geweldige extra sterke gigant. Supersmaak, omdat er suiker in zit smaakt ie wat minder sterk dan ie lijkt misschien. Topper hoor! ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

p0urmeac0ld0ne (658) - Merthyr Tydfil, WALES - JUL 17, 2018
Holy moly, what a beer. I sat and drank a 750ml bottle of this to myself and safe to say that the world was a different place by the time I had finished. This is a massive beer. Massive. However, I think I had a bottle that was a bit young. I’ve had enough quads now to know that, there should be swathes of sugared dark fruits and deep molasses. In comparison to a lot of the others I have tried recently, this fell short in that regard, and I am sure it is not because Abt 12 is just not as good as these other Trappist brews, no no no. I shall endeavour to procure another (possibly smaller!) bottle and squirrel it away somewhere, so that I know it has aged sufficiently, and then I shall re-rate. PS: It doesn’t taste like Westvleteren 12, not to me anyway (both young or old Westy).

Wendigo (998) - Bratislava, SLOVAK REPUBLIC - JUL 16, 2018
UPDATED: JUL 16, 2018 Bottle. Malty aroma, belgian yeast, caramel notes, honey, berries fruit, plums and cherries notes. Tastes the same as aroma, light to medium sweet, light bitter, light sour notes. Full body, lively carbonation and malty bitter sweet finish with all those others flavours. Good.

gausti (43) - AUSTRIA - JUL 16, 2018
Hat Ähnlichkeit mit Westvleteren 12, mittlere Süße, wenig Bitter, Brotige Noten, würziger Honig

SampleGuide22 (32) - Essex, ENGLAND - JUL 12, 2018
Fantastic dark Belgian beer. Pours an off white head , beer is red/brown (mahogany) Banana, liquorice, and wheat on the taste. Chewed toffee, coffee (mild-ish), dark malts. INCREDIBLY drinkable for a 10% beer. No sediment in beer which I was expecting. Up there with the best...fantastic beer.

Laharem (206) - POLAND - JUL 10, 2018
Kolor ciemnego bursztynu, lekka biała piana. W aromacie dominują owoce, morele, winogrona, dojrzałe jabłka, figi, troszeczkę octu. W smaku również tradycyjnie owoce na pierwszym miejscu, morele, figi, rodzynki, lekka guma balonowa, lekko wyczuwalny alkohol. Piwo dobre, ale nic nadzwyczajnego.

jlzm (4) - SPAIN - JUL 6, 2018 does not count
UPDATED: JUL 9, 2018 Muy recomendable con buena eso ma y una carbonatacion muy agradable. Maltosa. Para volver a repetir sin duda una de las mejores abadías. Eso si cuidado con el alcohol que pega.

fiemske (2) - BELGIUM - JUL 5, 2018 does not count
UPDATED: JUL 5, 2018 Donkerroodbruine kleur. Gelige schuimkraag. Volle smaak. Lange nasmaak. Lekker, een van mijn favorieten.