overall
Brewed by Thornbridge
Style: Sour/Wild Ale
Ashford in the Water, England
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 210   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.36/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Our Bakewell Sour brewed in collaboration with Wild Beer Co. pours a golden yellow colour with a white head, the beer is refreshingly tart and dry with a combination of citrusy hops and flavours of grapefruit and bitter lemon. The name Tart is inspired by the Bakewell delicacy where we are based and accurately describes the flavour of the beer in a single word.

• Statistics
  • Locate Sellers

tgrtnr (528) - Germering b München, GERMANY - MAY 19, 2018
330 ml bottle. Pours unclear light golden with decent head. Nose is tropical fruits. Tonic water, dry white wine, tart, german Apfelwein, passion fruit, lime, some apple vinegar, elderflower, grapefruit. Taste is sour with a bitter hint. Medium bodied, oily watery texture, low carbonated, dry and in some way a bit unpleasant finish. Still quite nice.

stevoj (6417) - Boise, Idaho, USA - MAY 18, 2018
Bottle from Tesco. Pale golden, small bubbly head fades. Aroma is mildly sweet, fruity. Stone fruit in the taste, as stated on the label, it is tart, a bit of dryness too.

dogbomb (1275) - ENGLAND - MAY 18, 2018
Bottle. Light straw pour with a thin layer of white. Nose is gooseberries and grapefruit - and lots of it. Wowza. First sip made me scrunch my face up, bitter bitter lemons, fresh grapefruits. Very dry. Not really my go to style, but I can see why someone would appreciate this. Makes my body shiver.

BarleyChalice17 (9) - - MAY 9, 2018 does not count
UPDATED: MAY 9, 2018 Une biere agréable robe jaune translucide. Nez citron. Goût acétique ? manque de complexité ça reste désaltérant

The_Osprey (10160) - Richmond, Greater London, ENGLAND - APR 21, 2018
April 2018 - 330ml bottle at home in Richmond as 'Thornbridge Tart Bakewell Sour', 6%, BB March 2019. To my knowledge this is the first 'sour' beer that has ever been on sale in that most basic of supermarkets, Tesco, making it quite a breakthrough beer. Pours a translucent pale golden yellow, slightly hazed, sparkling, small foamy off-white head. Aroma is lemongrass and grapefruit zest, gooseberry, slightly pissy sharonfruit. Body is light, smooth with punchy carbonation. A little too tooth-coating and rough on the stomach. Taste is refreshing passionfruit, melon and grapefruit, little lemon, more passionfruit, crisp finish with a tangy yet smooth linger with a little salt and lemon on the lips. Good vibrant flavour and very refreshing on a nice sunny day. A pretty good option for a supermarket purchase, and you can't really argue with this at £1.80. Just a pity I feel like I need to brush my teeth each time I take a sip. (6-4-7-2-15=3.4)

spiffero (161) - Camelford, Cornwall, ENGLAND - APR 19, 2018
I've never had a sour beer before--drank this in the heat today while gardening, and it was very refreshing. Pours a cider-looking gold, with a rim and half-swirl of head and a sharp citrus smell. It tasted good at first, as the citrus impact reminded me of childhood gooseberry picking. Other sour tastes that came to mind were unripe greengages and green blackberries. But that fruitiness dissipated towards the back of the palate as the sourness turned neutral and flavourless. The final sour aftertaste therefore felt one-dimensional to me. On this evidence, sour beer is unlikely to be my thing; but it's impressive the way the sourness, while strong, never becomes puckering, unlike those gooseberries of yore.

midovark (1314) - Budapest, HUNGARY - APR 4, 2018
0.33 l bottle, thanks to my family. Pours golden with thick, but quickly disappearing white head. Nose is pleasant fruity, somewhat tart and there’s a definite hoppy touch it. The taste, on the other hand, is quite plain, tart and that’s it really. It’s true however that I dont quite like sours, but I tried to stay as objective as possible.

GoDarkOrGoHome (148) - WALES - MAR 28, 2018
Sour beers are not something I am a fan of but I was thrown by seeing the 'bakewell' description making me think the sourness would be offset by bitter cherries and sweet almond. That was a wrong assumption so I was left with a sour beer that didn't offer enough for me to taste anything but the sourness

Trolleo (2182) - Pula / Zagreb, CROATIA - MAR 23, 2018
Tarty, lemon aroma, some wine-ish note. Clear pale yellow color, no head. Slightly sour, some grapes and lemon, dry finish. Watery, soft carbonation.

Moebbels (847) - FINLAND - MAR 8, 2018
A very slightly hazy yellow beer with little foam on top. Fresh citrusy nose with notes of apricots and lime. Tart, dry flavor with a little bit of sweetness leadibg to a bitter finish. Medium carbonation and palate. Decent easy sour but lacks complexity.