Northern Breweries Edelbrau

Formerly brewed at Northern Breweries
Style: Helles/Dortmunder
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
Serve in Lager glass

RATINGS: 21   MEAN: 2.33/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.43/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
An extra aged, extraordinarily smooth, European-style lager with a mild hop flavour and a moderately sweet taste.

• Statistics
  • Locate Sellers

Metalchopz (4347) - Cantley, Quebec, CANADA - APR 11, 2012
Originally rated November 2004. This is beer I discovered a while back because it would look pretty low-budget and white-trash, so my buddy and I thought it would be funny to try. It caught us off guard. Since then, I have been a fan. Poured a golden-yellow colour with a small head. Leaves a bit of lacing in spots. The nose is hoppy. The mouth is of sweet malts, mild hops, with hints of apples (which is what I really like about this brew). The mouthfeel is smooth and kind of dry. One of my favorite plain-old lager. Note: Too bad it is not being made anymore.

IPFreely (1470) - Sanborn, New York, USA - DEC 16, 2005
Pale yellow color, white head. Mild malt, light citrus. Light grass as well. Lighter bodied. Just pretty boring.

rudolf (2360) - Buffalo, New York, USA - DEC 5, 2005
Thanks to Greg for this one. Lemon, very light malt, doughy. A little lemon, very meh.
"Its hard to get your lips around the fat top" - IPFreely

blankboy (8379) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - NOV 26, 2005
Bottle courtesy of GregClow. Pours a clear light yellow with an average size white head. Mild aroma of very sweet malt. Flavour of sweet malt, honey, citrus and hops. Thin body. Nothing great but there’s nothing bad about it either, it’s better than many macro beers. Decent.

GregClow (3402) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - NOV 20, 2005
Bottle (6-pack) from The Beer Store. This beer was supposedly retired a few months ago when Northern launched a new branding strategy, so either this is an old bottle, or the reports of the beer’s death are greatly exaggerated. Pours a light, clear golden colour with a small head. Aroma is mild but sweet/malty, with some honey and lemon notes that follow through into the flavour. Mild, grassy hops in the finish. Not a great beer, but it seems quite fresh, which leads me to believe that it’s still being brewed, as I can’t imagine it would stay in this shape for long.

HogTownHarry (7561) - Toronto (Harbourfront), Alberta, CANADA - NOV 20, 2005
Bottle (341ml). Courtesy of GregClow. Pours like pale ginger ale with a quick-retiring bright white head. What aroma there is might best be described as "mystery sweet" - something not right there, but not offensive either - hint of fresh-cut hay too. Taste reminds me of a honey-lemon cough drop I used to buy - not offensive, but not really beer-like either. Moutfeel of watered-down table syrup. In fact that’s sort of what it reminds me of - that and my old buddy Larry’s home "brew."

Gorbalev (3000) - Ontario, CANADA - NOV 19, 2005
Bottle, thanks Greg. Odd aroma - what is that? It is like honey Neo Citron - weird. Quite grassy as well. Light yellow, small white head. Surprisingly medium mouthfeel - syrupy. Cloying sweet taste masks any other flavour that might be present. Lingering sweetness. There are some faint hops in here as well. Terribly unbalanced but at least it was an attempt at flavour I guess.

TaktikMTL (8009) - Montréal, Quebec, CANADA - AUG 28, 2005
Bouteille de 341 ml achetée au Beer Store de Deep River, ONT. Arôme: Odeur de fleurs. Apparence: Couleur blonde pâle. Mince col mousseux. Moyenne densité des bulles. Aucune dentelle sur le verre. Saveur: Goût de miel et d’agrumes. Court arrière goût. Palette: Le corps et la texture sont mince. Faible effervescence en bouche. Arrière goût de miel. (Rating #267)

MrManning (2009) - Hamilton, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 13, 2005
341 ml bottle- I thought I was buying some sort of wheat beer here when I bought it, so imagine my suprise when it poured at first. But, I digress..... Pours an amber body, with a very thin white head, that has formed a thin layer over the body, and then gradually massed together in the middle. Aromas are faint hops, grassy, mild malt. Taste is sugary, malty, faintly hoppy. Somewhat crisp.....slightly watery finish. Decent.

jercraigs (12568) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JAN 15, 2005
Yellow body, straight from the bottle devoid of head. Starts out pleasantly fruity with some malt but gives way to a fairly wonky finish and aftertaste. Not quite sure what is going on there, if its on purpose or an off bottle. Meh. Not particularly pleasant.