Kronenbourg 1664 Brune

overall
Formerly brewed at Kronenbourg (Carlsberg)
Style: Dark Lager - Dunkel/Tmavý
Obernai, France

RATINGS: 11   MEAN: 2.79/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.78/5   EST. CALORIES: 189   ABV: 6.3%
A richly aromatic, mellow brown ale of considerable character, reflecting the high-end image of 1664. The beer is made with three different types of malt - pale, amber and roasted

• Locate Sellers

Pedrojcai (50) - Cádiz, SPAIN - FEB 28, 2010
Kronenbourg is one of those beers that I could’ve lived my whole life and been OK with not trying. It was quite simply nothing special. If I want a brand tasteless pale lager, I can go to my local cheap beer. Absolutely nothing special beer.

TheDog (586) - Aarhus, DENMARK - FEB 19, 2007
Nice dark golden brown color, some creamy head. Aroma and taste of caramel and sirup. Allmost no bitterness.

KarmanGhia (276) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - JAN 31, 2006
This is a typical dark lager from a macro, meaning that there are slight burnt undertones, a light caramel sweetness up front, and no hops to back up the initial interest that you may develop. After more than one, the syrup flavor gets old and you realize that your just giving yourself a headache from all of that food coloring.

Sully (1380) - Potts Point, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA - JAN 28, 2005
The colour even makes you feel better. This is well presented by its rich coppery colour and clean creamy head. Aromas of caramel and some toffee and a faint whiff of hops. The flavour has a good maltiness too with a crispness that is a welcome departure from some of the other Kronenbourg offerings.

Nate (4279) - Indiana, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 11, 2004
Nice malt aroma, a bit acidic, tangy, but with some molasses and chocolate. Reminds me of Guinness out of the non-draught bottle. Light tan foamy lacing head over clear, dark copper-brown body. Medium watery body with medium carbonation. Has body of a higher-alcohol beer, but only 6.3%. Nice malt, molasses taste, lightly acidic and not bitter. Decent balance, if not a little watery. Finish is still sweet, but more acidic. Nutty and light bitter after. Not bad for Kronenbourg.

RichardGretton (5070) - Leicestershire, ENGLAND - FEB 29, 2004
Reasonable dunkel appearance with a very intense sweet coffee aroma, and a strong malty flavour. Overall the best Kronenbourg beer I have had.

leaparsons (11846) - Wigston, Leicestershire, ENGLAND - NOV 19, 2003
Brown in colour. This has a cocao powder aroma. Flavours are light cocoa with a chalky, dry powder finish. The worst dunkle I have had!

fiulijn (24190) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - NOV 8, 2003
Nice amber color, clean. Simple aroma (malt, carbonic gas, caramel). Medium bodied, some caramel, very light roasted malt touch, sweet; not enough hopped.

jpknight22 (171) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - OCT 28, 2002
Probably my favorite French beer to date. My host family bought me a six pack of this beer during my study abroad (I guess under the assumptions that Americans love beer), and I was quite impressed. Dark brown, but not too heavy, creamy sweet, and finished with a nice flavor of Hops. I wish I could find some in the States but it doesn't look like that'll happen any time soon.

jbrus (4987) - Delft, NETHERLANDS - MAY 7, 2002
Of all macro brewed beers in France I like this most at the moment. Light spices and prune aroma. Dark red/brown color, off-white frothy head, nice lace. Light sweet, light hopbitter, moderate full body. Hoppy finish.
Earlier Rating: 10/12/2001 Total Score: 3.4
A bit sweet and dark malts.