1. Two days before starting the mash, do a sour mash with 0.5 lbs of the grain bill. Add the grain to 1 qt of water at 130 degrees and let sour for two days.|
2. On brew day, mash in with 11 qts of water at 150 degrees for 90 minutes. Add contents of the sour mash to this mash.
3. Mash out at 170 for 10 minutes
4. Sparge with 18 quarts of water at 170, collecting about 5.5-6 gallons of wort
5. Boil for 1 hour adding 1 oz of hops at 60 minutes and 0.5 oz at 30 minutes.
6. Cool wort, aerate, and pitch with WYeast 1084.
7. 1 week in primary and 1.5 weeks in secondary. Bottle/keg as normal, but keep the priming amount relatively low to help keep the texture creamy, rather than fizzy.
OG 1.045 FG 1.012 4.3% ABV