- Make a starter!|
- Strike with 16qts at 170F.
- Mash at 154F for 30 minutes.
- Recirculate and pour first running into kettle.
- Sparge with 16qts
- Bring to boil, add 1oz of Hallertau.
- Boil for an hour, then add 1oz of Hallertau.
- Boil for another hour.
- Cool to 78F and pitch yeast.
Some people will try to say decoction is a waste of time. But I think that this beer really benefits from a decoction. I can’t give you my exact decoction specifics because I don’t measure the removed portions. I generally try to take out 1 to 1.5 gallons of stiff mash, heat the portion to a simmer, return the mash and stir in. I like heating 2 or 3 decocted portions for the duration of the mash.