7% Trans-Atlantic Golden Ale|
*** HEY WHY DON’T MY CARRIAGE RETURNS / LINE BREAKS WORK? HELP? ***
That’s 7% Stammwürze/Plato, not % alcohol, of course! Inspired by the new-new wave of very low gravity, crystal-malt-free, hoppy pale and golden ales of the UK, brewed to extra low gravity to provide a dry, hoppy, healthy quaffer at home, around 1.030 OG. I do sparge-free brewing in a 10 gal Gott/Rubbermaid cooler. ~8.3 gallon boil, 6.3 gallon into primary.
1. Preheat the cooler with hot water.
2. Heat 22 L water to 165 F.
3. Dump water in cooler.
4. Mix malt in, attach cover, and let sit for a few minutes to stabilise the temperature.
5. Add boiling or cold water as needed (if you want) to bring the temp to 160 F.
6. Mash for 10 - 20 minutes or until it tastes as if it’s converted.
7. Add enough very hot (not quite boiling) water to bring the total up to 35 L and 165-168 F. Mind you, the Gott will be full to the brim!
8. Run off slow at first --then fast-- into kettle without recirculating (a few odd bits of malt in the boil, who cares!).
9. Boil with bittering hops for 45 minutes.
10. Add flavour hops and boil another 15 minutes.
11. If desired, add aroma hops at flameout, I can’t really be arsed any more.
12. Chill the wort to 69 F or so and strain the wort into a 10 gallon SST kettle for primary ferment.
13. Pitch the Notters.
14. Begin drinking at racking after 3-4 days.
15. Don’t waste any on gravity readings.