1. Activate yeast in pouch.|
2. Bring 1/2 quart of water to boil in small pot and add caramel malt. Steep for ~30 minutes).
3. Strain small pot through collander into 20 qt brew pot. Add malt extract honey, and 3 oz of most bitter hops, and hot water up to 3 gallons. Stir well.
4. Bring to a boil. Be careful not to let the pot boil over--it wonít ruin the beer, it just makes an awful mess.
5. Reduce heat and simmer for around 45-60 minutes while occaisionally stirring. Helps to have the lid on for simmering. Add 1 oz of the next hops (most bitter remaining) about 5 minutes before the end of the boil.
5. I do a starter culture of yeast and then add to the wort, but you donít necessarily have to.
6. Pour wort into fermenter and add about 1 or 1.5 gallons of water. Add remaining hops. If you filter your beer after several days, you can add some hops now and some after filtering.
7. Rack at ~ 70 degrees Fahrenheit, and wait ~2 weeks to bottle. Drinkable after one week, but I strongly recommmend waiting for about 3 weeks before consuming.