overall
RATINGS: 894   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.55/5   IBU: 65   EST. CALORIES: 204   ABV: 6.8%
Back in Black is our newest year-round beer available now in six pack cans and on draft. Brewed like an American IPA but with the addition of rich, dark malts, this beer has all the flavor and hop character you expect with a smooth, mellow finish.

beergodd1 (401) - Conneaut, Ohio, USA - APR 17, 2011
The Pour is black with one finger of beige head, lasting through out. Light lacing. Nose is floral hops, pine, roasted malt, and light caramel. Taste is very similar to the nose. A nice Balance of roasted malt with the mild hop finish. Light to Medium body, makes this a beer I can drink often.

Nsanders (1172) - St Paul, Minnesota, USA - APR 16, 2011
As i was pouring this from the can, i thought that i might be about to drink a coca cola by appearance. Had a very piney, black licorice aroma. Medium bitterness with a lighter medium body. Had been meaning to try this one for a while, and wasn’t as impressed as i was hoping. Cool artwork though.

murphym45 (779) - New York, New York, USA - APR 14, 2011
Pours dark brown / black with a bit of light brown head that clings to the glass. Aroma is definitely on the malty side with some roasted malts and chocolate, a bit of earthy hops as well. Taste is still malty with some caramel and more chocolate, light herbal hops on the finish. To be honest, I’m not sure I would have guessed this was a black IPA if I didn’t know, I found the hops to really be dominated by the malt. Still a solid beer though.

BeerBelcher (972) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - APR 14, 2011
Thrilled to find this in Ohio; further thrilled that it is in cans! For some reason craft beer in the Columbus area seems old or abused by the time it makes its way into my hands. I had recently made a Black IPA of my own, and had heard a lot about this and wanted to see how my mine stacked up. And they are quite different! This beer differs from other IPAs in more ways than just color. It is (of course) dark and nearly opaque, but the dark color betrays a ton of dark roast chocolate-y aroma and flavor. It is far more chocolate-y and deeply malty-sweet (like a malted milkball) than my beer turned out. This chocolate and maltiness was balanced out by a slammin’ amount of citrus-y hop character. The beer is plenty hoppy, but I’d say it is skewed more towards the chocolate/malt end of the spectrum than the hoppy side of things. Mouthfeel is pretty good...a touch thick and chalky feeling. Until I can make another BIPA, I’d buy this again. I bought this 6-pack at Blacklick Liquor in Columbus, OH.

unclemattie (4406) - Georgia, USA - APR 13, 2011
12oz can. Dark brown, black color. light tan sticky looking head. Aroma of hops, mostly pine, some chocolate, dark toasted malts. Tastes of sweet malt, burnt (blackened) sugars, pine resin bitterness. Very nice. Enjoyable IPA, and it is Black too. 8,5,7,4,13

AR (1002) - Georgia, USA - APR 8, 2011
Black, but not opaque, with a gopod-sized brown head. Minimal aroma. Flavor has more roasted malts than hops, with a little dark chocolate.

Bricks (1150) - Delaware, USA - APR 7, 2011
First "Black IPA". Like a hoppy thin stout. Reminds me of a schwarzbier I’ve had, but happier. Not much on the aroma. Appearance is good.. dark. Liked the taste w/ a good palate. Recommended.

bobbypaulson (217) - Fergus Falls, Minnesota, USA - APR 2, 2011
This is my first black IPA had it on tap. This beer was black in color but not a thick black color. The small was of hops and roasted malt. Not really hoppy but more sweet and roasty. Ok beer

beerlover82 (241) - Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 1, 2011
From can(though I swore to never patronize cans, but the bartender praised this so much, so I caved): A=Beautiful pitch-black,with thick creamy tan head, with heavy lacing. Guinness??Guinness is mainstream crap. S=Malts,chocolate,coffee, faint hops. Upon sip, I can detect a fairly thin to medium body of same, with the can maybe getting in the way. I know there’s a reason I avoid cans, and recommend that all self-respecting brewers avoid cans. This is it. Light carbonation. Overall, decent, but the label says IPA, when it’s anything but. A decent brew,but nothing I would purchase again.

EricE (1372) - Seattle, Washington, USA - MAR 31, 2011
Can at Clyde’s Rockville. Pours a thin black pour with a tan head. Not a lot of hops here. More like a chocolaty stout. Intense roast and maybe a bit of bourbon. Dry slightly metallic and fruity. Bitter chocolate roast finish. MehMe