overall
RATINGS: 897   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.55/5   IBU: 65   EST. CALORIES: 204   ABV: 6.8%
Back in Black is our newest year-round beer available now in six pack cans and on draft. Brewed like an American IPA but with the addition of rich, dark malts, this beer has all the flavor and hop character you expect with a smooth, mellow finish.

N0AH's rating

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
N0AH (32) - Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 27, 2011
Roasted and hoppy, like a Christmas tree being slow roasted in a moist fire. Bringing together "black" and "IPA", I tell you folks, it’s harder than it looks. It’s delicious but it’s dirty - dirty deeds, done dirt cheap. This beer will always fill your ballroom, the event is never small. A few of these and I just want to lie down outside, looking at the sky cause it’s getting me high. What else can I say? I’m thunderstruck.

ipaandstouts (1) - WEST ISLIP, Alabama, USA - JAN 18, 2018 does not count
taste is a hoppy light stout...unusual style but hops and stouts are what many crave,and hence we beer men make

jhsnitz1 (47) - Central, South Carolina, USA - JAN 13, 2018
Nice aroma of a hoppy IPA but the hop flavor is subdued and balanced by the dark malts. Like a combination of IPA and brown ale or stout.

TomTron (462) - South Carolina, USA - JAN 11, 2018
All the love gone bad turned my world to black. Tattooed all I see, all that I am, all I'll be... yeah.

ironcontra (494) - ATL, Georgia, USA - DEC 13, 2017
low body, somewhat watery, heavy on the chocolate without complementary hoppy bitterness - an unwanted dimensionality reduction. not my favorite style so you dont have to take my word 4 it

NJBarstool (42) - Rockaway, New Jersey, USA - NOV 14, 2017
Tasted like a run of the mill IPA. Very drinkable but very bland. Definitely not in the tradition of one of the more usually aggressive styles of beer. Dissappointing

jeffman52 (19) - Georgia, USA - NOV 1, 2017
UPDATED: NOV 1, 2017 A bit weak for a dark IPA. Hops are light. The other flavors I would expect from a dark beer are lacking. I would not buy again.

oobawa (1862) - Tennessee, USA - OCT 30, 2017
Rather specatcular Black IPA, a heady mix of deeply roasted malts and citric, resinous hops, an IPA not afraid of indulging in its hoppiness before finishing like a dry-ass stout. Starts with a swath of orange marmalade and stone fruit, then quickly gains an espresso middle laced with chocolate and slight hints of anise, and finally turns dry and bitter, the piney hops leaving a clingy, IBU-filled fade dusted with java and unsweetened chocolate. Pours a beautiful dark brown with a massive beige head and endless lace. Aroma's more IPA than black, citric hops offering up citrus and pine. Good texture has just a touch of spikiness, but otherwise smooth and sippable. Great beer.

HopsMuse11 (4) - - OCT 22, 2017 does not count
Very smooth black ipa. Way smoother than expected for abv. Head is good. Finish smooth. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

Chadhami (194) - - JUL 8, 2017
A dark IPA? I haven’t found many of these. A unique taste of an IPA with the coffee taste of a dark.

bkurtz (1149) - LITHUANIA - JUN 25, 2017
Pours a clear dark brown with a fairly large, frothy head. Citrus aromas with some bready malts. I like this style. It has the citrus notes with bitterness and dark malts. Not one of my favorites for this style, but still enjoyable.