overall
RATINGS: 894   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.55/5   IBU: 65   EST. CALORIES: 204   ABV: 6.8%
Back in Black is our newest year-round beer available now in six pack cans and on draft. Brewed like an American IPA but with the addition of rich, dark malts, this beer has all the flavor and hop character you expect with a smooth, mellow finish.

BeerBelcher's rating

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
BeerBelcher (972) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - APR 14, 2011
Thrilled to find this in Ohio; further thrilled that it is in cans! For some reason craft beer in the Columbus area seems old or abused by the time it makes its way into my hands. I had recently made a Black IPA of my own, and had heard a lot about this and wanted to see how my mine stacked up. And they are quite different! This beer differs from other IPAs in more ways than just color. It is (of course) dark and nearly opaque, but the dark color betrays a ton of dark roast chocolate-y aroma and flavor. It is far more chocolate-y and deeply malty-sweet (like a malted milkball) than my beer turned out. This chocolate and maltiness was balanced out by a slammin’ amount of citrus-y hop character. The beer is plenty hoppy, but I’d say it is skewed more towards the chocolate/malt end of the spectrum than the hoppy side of things. Mouthfeel is pretty good...a touch thick and chalky feeling. Until I can make another BIPA, I’d buy this again. I bought this 6-pack at Blacklick Liquor in Columbus, OH.

NJBarstool (38) - Rockaway, New Jersey, USA - NOV 14, 2017
Tasted like a run of the mill IPA. Very drinkable but very bland. Definitely not in the tradition of one of the more usually aggressive styles of beer. Dissappointing

jeffman52 (19) - Georgia, USA - NOV 1, 2017
UPDATED: NOV 1, 2017 A bit weak for a dark IPA. Hops are light. The other flavors I would expect from a dark beer are lacking. I would not buy again.

oobawa (1737) - Tennessee, USA - OCT 30, 2017
Rather specatcular Black IPA, a heady mix of deeply roasted malts and citric, resinous hops, an IPA not afraid of indulging in its hoppiness before finishing like a dry-ass stout. Starts with a swath of orange marmalade and stone fruit, then quickly gains an espresso middle laced with chocolate and slight hints of anise, and finally turns dry and bitter, the piney hops leaving a clingy, IBU-filled fade dusted with java and unsweetened chocolate. Pours a beautiful dark brown with a massive beige head and endless lace. Aroma's more IPA than black, citric hops offering up citrus and pine. Good texture has just a touch of spikiness, but otherwise smooth and sippable. Great beer.

HopsMuse11 (4) - - OCT 22, 2017 does not count
Very smooth black ipa. Way smoother than expected for abv. Head is good. Finish smooth. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

Chadhami (178) - - JUL 8, 2017
A dark IPA? I haven’t found many of these. A unique taste of an IPA with the coffee taste of a dark.

bkurtz (1134) - LITHUANIA - JUN 25, 2017
Pours a clear dark brown with a fairly large, frothy head. Citrus aromas with some bready malts. I like this style. It has the citrus notes with bitterness and dark malts. Not one of my favorites for this style, but still enjoyable.

RatingsMeister77 (1) - Enumclaw, Washington, USA - JUN 20, 2017 does not count
Exceptionally drinkable. Coffee and pine with a dark chocolate finish. This beer is a monthly treat IMO.

ExpendableHero (932) - Florida, USA - JUN 12, 2017
Very dark Cola looking beer with an off-white head. Aromas of earth and floral notes. Tastes of earthiness, some dark coffee, with grassy notes. Some biscuit malt thrown in for goof measure. Decent malt/dark flavor profile compliments the resin hops. A bit watery and somewhat forgettable. Enjoyable nonetheless.

erickok (6036) - Leuven, BELGIUM - MAY 27, 2017
Roasted malts and hoppy but not quite as fresh as expected. Full flavour, very clean fermentation, a bit too much maybe. Bit watery in palate. Perhaps my hopes were too high but I’d like my bipa a bit rougher, tougher. (Can at Caroline’s in Berkeley)

tricksta_p (5135) - Steenwijk, NETHERLANDS - APR 7, 2017
Can from Beergium. Aroma is roasted malt, fruity hops, tropical fruits, citrus, orange, chocolate, grapefruit, with a slight touch of coffee. Flavour is moderate sweet with a firm bitter finish. Body is medium. Lovely balance between tropical fruity hops and roasty malts, really great example of the style, I do not understand why this is not rated higher.