RATINGS: 438   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.18/5   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 45   EST. CALORIES: 237   ABV: 7.9%
Like FDR’s Depression-Era Radio Addresses, which were like a kick in the butt and a hug at the same time, our Fireside Chat is a subtle twist on the traditional seasonal brew. We begin with a rich, dark, English-style ale and then we improvise with spices until we know we have a beer worth sharing with the nation. Celebrating the right to be original.

shigadeyo (3790) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - AUG 1, 2013

11/24/2010: 21st Amendment Fireside Chat Winter Spiced Ale... Aroma: Mutes caramelized maltiness with an yeasty edge; nutty with a very faint trace of spicy chocolate. Appearance: Solid brown color topped with a thick, dense, and lasting head of beige-colored foam; loads of visible carbonation bubbles; thick lacing that hangs on the glass. Flavor: Tangy caramelized malt; roasted nuts/burnt pecan; spicy, but in a very strange, non-tasty kind of way; notes of sourish cherry and rotting citrus peels; overly bitter and not in a hoppy kind of way; seems scorched/burnt or something... Smooths out and is a bit more tempered when it warms up: more caramelized sugar and chocolate notes come through; hints of dry nutmeg and allspice; bitterness is more subdued... better, but I’ll still pass on another can... Palate: Overall: Something must have went terribly wrong with the canned version of this beer. The rating and reviews of the on-tap version seem favorable and not very much at all like I experienced in the can version. In the end, this beer is really not good and quite disappointing out of the can!

12 fl. oz. can (7.9% alc./vol. - 45 IBUs) from alexsdad06. Thanks Brad! Rating #262 for this beer.

BlackHaddock (7690) - Shropshire, ENGLAND - JUN 19, 2013
3rd Feb 2013: Rogue Pub on Union St, San Fransisco. The chalkboard had been written in haste and my eyes are bad, so when I asked for the ZIA beer they looked at me a bit strange. ZIA looked a lot like 21A to me: anyway we got there in the end and I’m glad we did. Dark brown body with a tan coloured head on my on-tap pint. Christmas pudding of a beer: plums, damsons and rich spices filled the nose and mouth: I really enjoyed it. Full of flavour, warming and wintery in nature: a smoking jacket sort of beer. Impressed.

kramer (6905) - Sunbury, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 16, 2013
Can. Pours a clear dark amber body with a one finger frothy beige head that had pretty nice retention and left some light lacing. The nose is sweet, lightly nutty, and subtly spiced with a bit of nutmeg and cinnamon perhaps. The flavor is on the sweeter side as well, but not overly so. A nice balance between the spices and the malt, there’s plenty of spices, but not one single spice dominates. Finishes with just a touch of warmth and an almost peppery like spice kick. Medium bodied, almost chewy, with fizzy prickly carbonation. I pretty well liked this one, should have saved it for a night when I was sitting by a fire maybe.

Hammy78 (975) - Dundas, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 23, 2013
Brought back from San Francisco by a good friend. Pours a dark ruby brown with a tan head that recedes quite quickly, some leggy lace clings to the glass walls. Nose is sweet and spice, like nutmeg etc. Tastes sweet, a touch of bitterness and malty.

Fech (291) - Parsippany, New Jersey, USA - MAR 14, 2013
Deep brown pour thick foamy head. Malty spicy aroma. Hoppy flavor with spruce notes. Fairly potent worth a try.

60minuteman (1765) - West Chester, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 16, 2013
Can. Medium-thin body. Taste of burnt hop, spices, oak, caramel, raisins. Tastes like burnt toast, with raisins.

JStax (7175) - Devola/Marietta, Ohio, USA - FEB 10, 2013
Poured from a 12 ounce can. Pours a darker amber to brown with a large beige head of foam. Pretty good retention. In the aroma I get notes of gingerbread, vanilla, spice. Taste is at first sweet and spicy, but moves to a weird bitterness that’s overall offputting.

mcberko (18977) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - FEB 10, 2013
On tap at Archer Ale House, pours a dark copper brown with a small beige head. Aroma of perfume, vanilla, and winter spices. Flavour is similar, bringing out notes of vanilla, nutmeg and other spices, along with some perfumey notes. Too perfumey for me, but nothing overly offensive about this. Decent.

aplus01 (74) - North Carolina, USA - FEB 8, 2013
Aroma is dominated by spices: cinnamon or cloves. Appearance is dark clear ruby color with tall head that fades quickly. Taste is more of the spices from the nose and a large amount of bitterness and a hint of raisin/dark fruit. Overall not my favorite beer but the spices are complementary to the malts used and it doesnt just taste like a spoonful of cinnamon/clove. Not going to try it again.

mcmisko (362) - New York, USA - FEB 2, 2013
Pours brown with small light tan head. Smells spicy. Taste is sweet roasted malts and barley and lots of spice and some cola. Med body. Sweet bitter after taste. Intersting.