overall
Brewed by Brouwerij 3 Fonteinen
Style: Lambic Style - Gueuze
Lot, Beersel, Belgium

RATINGS: 1748   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.99/5   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Blend of 1, 2, and 3 year old lambics.
A true Geuze - a blend of 1, 2, and 3 year-old lambic, unfiltered and unpasteurized, and aged in the bottle for at least a year after blending. Refermentation in the bottle gives this Geuze its famous champagne-like spritziness. The lambic that goes into it is brewed only with 60% barley malt, 40% unmalted wheat, aged hops, and water, spontaneously fermented by wild yeasts, and matured in oak casks.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Sonicdescent (384) - Donora, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 18, 2009
I wish I had kept better track of my trades and extras, and some generous trader sent this one from my wants as an extra, much appreciated and cheers to you sir! This bottle has a date of February 2, 2007. Appears a pretty beautiful and honey colored liquid with some very active carbonation. The medium head dissolves off into a tin layer of cloudy goodness. A good looking Gueuze. Had the head hung around a little longer, this would be a five. Smells of funky lemons, cherries, maybe a hint of apples. No booze or hops present. Fairly good and funktastic. Taste is similarily funky, lemon zest way in the back end. Extremely thin and dry on the mouth, and bubbly. Some puckering way in the back end. Acidic sourness is present. A very good drink and a nearly perfect mouthfeel. I curve this one high, shame about that huge take being damaged at their brewery by a faulty thermometer. Great Gueuze.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
EricE (1367) - Seattle, Washington, USA - AUG 17, 2009
Slightly hazy light orange-yellow pour with lots of carbonation and a fluffy white had on top. Funky sour aroma with woody earthy notes. Citrus and lemon as well. Sour flavor with a bitter herbal finish. Good amount of sourness.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Narnad (1521) - Crystal Lake, Illinois, USA - AUG 16, 2009
2007 version (2 year aged). Pours a cloudy orange with a thin, tan head that is retained from the very high carbonation. Aroma is a very strong with a sour, citrus, farmhouse, light wheat and a bit of funk. Flavor is has a very strong sourness, grapefruit citrus bite, lots of farmhouse funk and ends with a very dry and tart ending. Feeling is semi-smooth, great density for the style, very high but fine carbonation. Overall a great sourness to the brew combined with a nice tart ending really make this an ideal brew for the warm months.

Drake (13301) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 1, 2009
UPDATED: AUG 3, 2009 C&C 750 mL bottle courtesy of Bob! Thanks! Pours a slightly hazy lemon yellow color with a thin head. Decent head retention and lacing. Big citrus and peppery notes. Huge amount of pepper. Light slightly funky horseblanket note as well. Earthy notes as well. Taste is citrus, particularly grapefruit, pepper, funk. This is very dry, but also very smooth. Full bodied. Strongly carbonated. Very good.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
CanIHave4Beers (4181) - Pouring Bus, Iowa, USA - JUL 31, 2009
UPDATED: SEP 19, 2015 So I rated this 6 years ago, from a 2004 bottle....
Drinking a bottle now and reading over the rating there are some things I disagree with, but the primary sentiment is intact to this day.
This might be my favorite beer, maybe.... I mean there are beers I rate higher & there are beers I drink more of, but at the end of the day... I might prefer drinking a bottle of this beer to almost any other one in existence.
This is a beer that holds a deep personal attachment for me, I can honestly say that I have drank it in some of the happiest, and some of the most challenging moments in my life, and many times I have drank it to mark those moments.
This is a beer that, for me... is above all else made to the highest standard with the spirit and the heart of the producer very much alive in the finished product.
I say this, because six years ago when I first tried this beer, and rated it.... it was simply a "good gueuze" in the end thats all that it is, but it is a beer that I have come to love dearly in the last half of a decade, and so maybe a rerate is in order.
Ironically enough this is a 2014 bottle, so ten years removed from the production of the beer in my initial rating.

Pours a beautiful golden with a medium sized head and decent lacing on the glass.

The aroma is wonderfully inviting, fruity and somewhat floral at the start with some barnyard funkiness and some white oak. It has a bit of white grape & lemon zest with a touch of brine.

The flavor is bright, sour, balanced, and well nuanced with flavors of white grape, pear, mild oak, citrus rind & mild brine. The bitterness is subdued but well employed & the beer is absolutely dry as a brut champagne.

The palate is lively as champagne with a beautiful sharpness and a long lingering finish.

absolutely beautiful

Original rating of 4.2 from July 31 2009
2004 bottle, Pours blond with a big fat head, with big fat bubbles. The aroma is outstanding, lemony, peppery, funky with good floral and bubblegum notes that I have never seen in a Gueuze! I also love that ever-present horse blanket aroma lingering in the background. The flavor is earthy with some lemon rind, some nice but mild sourness, dry white oaky notes, plenty funky but not over the top, insanely drinkable.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
shigadeyo (3704) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - JUL 27, 2009

April(?) 2008: Cloudy golden orange color + acidic aroma + tart and funky flavor = 3 Fonteinen Oude Geuze. This beer is really good, but outside my area of expertise and appreciation!

1 pt. 9.4 fl. oz. bottle (Alc. 6% Vol.) shared by Tmoney99. Thanks Tom! Rating #636 for this beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Snojerk321 (2960) - San Diego, California, USA - JUL 26, 2009
Tap @ Stone Sour Fest 2009. hazy light orange color with a average, frothy, good lacing, mostly lasting, off-white head. Aroma is moderate yeasty, horse blanket, barnyard, wood, sour, skunk, apple tart. Flavor is moderate sweet, light acidic and bitter with a average to long duration and a dry finish. Body is medium, texture is watery, carbonation is soft to flat, finish feel is moderate astringent.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
OldMrCrow (2434) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JUL 16, 2009
UPDATED: MAR 6, 2010 2004 bottle sampled June 2009 to celebrate signing on our new home.

Sometimes when Im about two bolts into a lead climb I decide that Ive bitten off more than I can chew and I wonder why in the hell I go climbing in the first place and why anyone would do this one purpose and I wonder whether Im man enough to do it, let alone enjoy it....

The aroma of this one, tart and aggressive, funky and balsamic, makes me feel that way.

....and then I just let it flow and as Im lowering off the anchors, Ive got this happy glow.

Yet after the second sip Im loving it and Ive got that lowering off glow now as the deep, dry brett lays across my tongue and I look longingly at the empty glass.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
mistersinalin (381) - St. Paul, Minnesota, USA - JUL 14, 2009
Shared this one and both of us commented on how wonderfully crisp and dry it was. I also liked the tartness. The color was a little too dark and made me wonder if it was still fresh - but it was.

decaturstevo (6120) - decatur, Tennessee, USA - JUL 14, 2009
Off brown gold pour with foamy head and lace. Tart with brown sugar aroma that hints of fruit. Big tart dry flavor with a hint of fruitiness and funk. Medium bodied with nice carbonation. A very nice beer.