overall
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Montignies-sur-Roc, Belgium

RATINGS: 1296   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.99/5   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
Previously 9%abv

Abbaye des Rocs Grand Cru has a rich, complex fruit aroma of cherries, golden raisins, peaches, and assorted dried fruit, laced with honey and caramel. Smooth, rich flavors reminiscent of cherries dipped in caramel, finishing with notes of dried chocolate, roasted almonds, and a hint of molasses.

detroiter (958) - Euphoria, Minnesota, USA - JAN 13, 2007
Pours a ruby brown, topped by at least 2" of soft and fluffy beige foam. Good head retention and very nice lacing. Lots (I mean whole lots) of dark brown yeast floaties swimming around. They never seem to settle (maybe I drink too fast?)... Aroma of caramel and chocolate covered raisins with faint cherry. A bready and yeasty aroma comes out as it warms. Wow - what an incredible mix of flavor. Malty - caramel, dark honey, and toffee. Fruity - fig, date, dark sweet cherry, plum, and tart gooseberry. The fruitiness becomes even more pronounced and complex as it warms. Spicy - dry spiciness in the finish with nutmeg, vanilla, and a hint of bread yeast. Anything else - why yes - how about a little bit of warming and soothing rum? Absolutely delicious. Great rich mouthfeel - yet exceptionally smooth and maybe the softest beer ever. Lots and lots of very gentle carbonation.

chimpscampee (566) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - APR 15, 2008
Mind blowing brew on tap at Brasserie V (nice everything) by Camp Randall stadium in Madtown. dried fruits, roasted almonds, peaches, cherries, honey...hides the 9.5? whallop in ample carbonation.Great hazy look and perfume aroma. If it was a touch less sweet it would have been a perfect 5. Not my favorite style but wow!

MrGGen (334) - ITALY - JUL 27, 2009
Colore ambrato,gran schiuma marrone chiaro.Profumo di luppolo,malto tostato,nocciole.Gusto amaro con sentori di nocciola,in bocca risulta quasi oleosa,tipo sciroppo.Retrogusto di tostato.Complessa ale.Ottima

mikeinfl (5) - Gainesville, Florida, USA - APR 14, 2010 does not count
Absolute delight - I could drink this ale any time, under almost any circumstances. My bottle is slightly different than the one on the picture, though... Instead of "Abbaye", I have "Brasserie" and instead of "Belgian Dark Ale", I have "Belgain Special Brown Ale". I did a search for the one that I have, to no avail. So, if mine is a separate type, please excuse.

Aleacolyte (13) - Allston, Massachusetts, USA - NOV 13, 2001
An absolute gem of a beer on tap. Beautiful in appearance and unforgettable in taste. Furthermore, despite the high alcohol content, it is incredibly drinkable.

Allseeingeye (223) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - AUG 24, 2002
Looks like a cocktail of dark beer and chocolate syrup. The flavors of this beer are endless, nutty, raisins, fruit, chocolate, and undetermined flavors. This beer has as many personalities as a schizophrenic. Every sip gives at least 5 flavors that alternate and change with the temperature. One of the BEST beers I have ever had the pleasure of drinking. The only place I have ever been able to get this is at the Saloon in D.C. Disappointing since I live in Fl. You must try this is you love Belgian Dark Ales!

Kasteelfreak (341) - Fallbrook, California, USA - JAN 13, 2003
UPDATED: MAY 5, 2005 It’s like drinking a chocolate covered orange. The thing that I don’t like about it is the chunky gelatinous yeast. I have to pour it very slowly to get a couple non-yeasty glasses. Very complex brew. Re-rate: This beer is exceptional. The silky smooth head retains very nicely. Still tastes like chocolate covered oranges. This is on another level. It also tastes like a fruit cake in a way. Cherries, nuts, bread, molasses. This one has many many flavors. It just doesn’t quit. ReRerate 050505: Best before 2007: Reminds me I have to get Vertical Epic today. It’s been a while since I had a good bottle of this. I had a bad bottle recently from Mesa Liquor. I’ve had many bad bottles from there, so beware. This bottle came from Holiday Wine cellar where they store their beer right. Aroma is very distinct. It has a alcohol, cherry, and sweet malt. Too many complexities for me to describe. I taste plum, date, chocolate, oranges, and as it warms, green apples. Mouthfeel is awesome. Head retention and lacing are excellent. One of my favorites.

freekyp (2410) - Thomasville, North Carolina, USA - DEC 10, 2005
UPDATED: APR 21, 2006 If this one doesn’t stir your taste buds you must have stuck your tongue on too many flagpoles. Raisins, prunes and caramel create a joyous nasal chorus while the rich fluffy tan head dances about on the deep reddish brown dancefloor. Complex and pleasing fruity notes flit in and out behind the ample candi sugar backing. Exceptionally creamy with a long sweet (but not overly so) finish. Fantastic, and my pick for new beer I’ve tried in 2005.

fbennett (293) - Portland, Oregon, USA - FEB 6, 2006
This belgian pours a cloudy brown with lots of nice yeast floating around the body. It leaves a thick frothy tan lace that sticks to the glass and looks magnificent. The aroma is fruity peach, plum, raisin, dates, figs, honey, spicey vanilla the nose is so complex. The taste is so smooth, is this really 10% abv? cause it can’t be found in this brew it is very well hidden and the fruit, and the slight hops in the beer just compliment each other so well. It finishes bitter sweet syrup thick and creamy. This is one of the best crafted brews I’ve had in awhile, fantastic.

BeerFanDan17 (1121) - Brunswick, Maine, USA - MAR 2, 2007
Abbate des Rocs makes some of the best Belgian beers. The Gran Cru is no different. It’s complex with dark sweeter flavors with a strong body that satisfies.