overall
RATINGS: 566   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.86/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 184   ABV: 6.13%
As befits any Christmas present, each years offering is a unique product crafted with special care. Generally, this beer is a dark ale, however, the recipe changes each year. Available November thru December.

ChazyRPh (583) - Chazy, New York, USA - FEB 24, 2006
05, I assume (different label from the one pictured - silver label). Clear dark amber pour with a generous rocky off white head. I can smell hops from 8" away from my glass. Grassy hop aroma, upon further inspection. As I swirl the beer and take a big whiff...YIKES!...I smell my nephew Alain’s dirty diaper. Wait, let me try this again, maybe I am mistaken. DAMN. nope. still smells like dirty ass. Well, I guess I will try a little. Hope it doesn’t taste like it smells. Tastes to me like an english pale ale. Kind of muted hop flavors, needs something to make them jump out at you. They are there, maybe just confined by that damn diaper, I don’t know. Sweet malt along with hints of toasted malts. This could be a decent beer with a little tweaking, to bring those hops out better.

PGHbeer77 (571) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 19, 2012
Bottle. I’m not sure why this is a "Christmas" ale. It was pretty regular tasting. The aroma was a weak hop with a hint of vanilla, and the appearance was dark brown, a burnt toast. The palate was as a silky textured light body, and the taste was a bit malty, but mostly a hop finish. Overall, pretty underwhelming.

StFun (567) - Indiana, USA - JAN 17, 2008
UPDATED: JAN 28, 2008 sweet carmel and maybe molasses in the aroma. some spice, maybe a little choclate. a lot going on in the palate. too much. beer seems overly complicated, and i couldnt get a real feel for the flavor. alcohol didnt seem to be hidden at all, which brought it down for me. much like pecan harvest, i thought this was average, not necessarily bad.

doublebock (558) - California, USA - AUG 14, 2007
Cloudy orange appearance, sweet nose. Malty taste with orange peel. Piney blandish aftertaste. 28%??? Naw, the sweet maltiness deserves a better rating though it does not have the spicycomplexity of a xmas ale.

Beachmaster (558) - Oklahoma, USA - APR 12, 2014
12 oz bottle into a tulip glass. Pours a clear dark amber with a massive khaki head that slowly fades and leaves good lacing. Nose is hops and pine. Taste is meh. Starts out OK, but fades to a bitter hoppy, piney finish. Nothing special.

jvmiller (558) - Bel Air, Maryland, USA - MAR 19, 2010
Light, had some crisp hops to it. Seemed more like a pale ale than christmas ale. Wasn’t a whole lot of malty or anything like that. More crisp.

Cajun (534) - Lafayette, Louisiana, USA - JAN 10, 2009
Bottle given to me by Boudreaux. Dark amber color with creamy white head. Notes of malty grain, caramel, fruit, slight hops. Citrus and sour biscuit dough flavors, combined with a bitter hops aftertaste. Spice and light fruit round it out. Not as watery to me, as others have suggested. Not a powerful winter brew, but not drain pour by any means. Decent.

GKillian (525) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - NOV 20, 2010
Pours amber with off-white head and foamy lacing. Notes of pine mostly. Tastes of pine mostly.

TattooJack (518) - Illinois, USA - SEP 7, 2014
I don’t think this beer was in season, the best before date was marked 3/14/12 (bought on 9/7/14) I didn’t see that until after I finished the 6-pack. Nice brown ale, hope I don’t die.