overall
RATINGS: 566   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.86/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 184   ABV: 6.13%
As befits any Christmas present, each years offering is a unique product crafted with special care. Generally, this beer is a dark ale, however, the recipe changes each year. Available November thru December.

austinpowers (2828) - San Francisco, California, USA - OCT 28, 2002
Batch 2002: This is like a mildly spiced vienna and really isn’t all that good.

JCapriotti (1379) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 13, 2005
Clearish maple syrup color, thin off-white head. Light in the aroma... sweet roasted piney... more like grainy pine wood as it warms. Papery spice taste. Kind of blah.

Cornfield (5570) - Oak Forest, Illinois, USA - DEC 11, 2005
I’m not sure what Abita was trying to accomplish here, but they fell short of whatever it was. It’s a thin malty brew with the usual Christmas ale spices. The finish was water with a drop of acid in it. Not worth coming back to.

<font size=-4><a href=http://www.ratebeer.com/events-detail.asp?eve & Winter Beer Tasting at Delilah’s, Chicago, IL 12/10/2005<font size=-1>

BBB63 (6557) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - DEC 5, 2005
Bottle: Clean amber hue with a small fizzy head and minmal lace. The aroma has notes of pepper, clove, piney and grassy hops, grainy and caramel malts and bit of a veggie tone. The taste starts spicy and grassy with a slight malt background. Some light lingering bittering but did not provide much depth of palate. The feel was thin and watery, some astrengent qualities. Very sub-par offering and wished for more.

NYHarvey (2153) - New York, New York, USA - DEC 12, 2005
Beer of the Month Club Offering. <P> Lightly hopped aroma with even lighter spice notes. Rich copper in color with a firm thumb thick white head. Not much here flavor wise. Crisp hop bite I associate with premium lagers and almost no spice notes. Some subdued caramel malt, but overall it just doesn’t taste like very much of anything.

ElBorracho (472) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 15, 2005
Bottled. Clear amber with a foamy head. Not much aroma...some malt. Nothing going on to differentiate this "spice" beer from any other lager on the market. Too many better X-mas ales to waste time with this one. Next.

ChazyRPh (583) - Chazy, New York, USA - FEB 24, 2006
05, I assume (different label from the one pictured - silver label). Clear dark amber pour with a generous rocky off white head. I can smell hops from 8" away from my glass. Grassy hop aroma, upon further inspection. As I swirl the beer and take a big whiff...YIKES!...I smell my nephew Alain’s dirty diaper. Wait, let me try this again, maybe I am mistaken. DAMN. nope. still smells like dirty ass. Well, I guess I will try a little. Hope it doesn’t taste like it smells. Tastes to me like an english pale ale. Kind of muted hop flavors, needs something to make them jump out at you. They are there, maybe just confined by that damn diaper, I don’t know. Sweet malt along with hints of toasted malts. This could be a decent beer with a little tweaking, to bring those hops out better.

MrBendo (1064) - Swedesboro, New Jersey, USA - JAN 14, 2007
I don’t know what it is about christmas beers that attract me, but I feel obligated to try them. I’ll try to clean them up today.
2006 bottle. All silver label. Clear copper with a huge head. Fair lacing. Definitely NOT a spice/vegetable. Smelled of toasted nuts and malts, and earthy hops. Fairly sweet taste. Light to medium body. Moderate sweet and light bitter taste. A bit thin.

beerbill (3619) - Laurel, New York, USA - APR 19, 2007
12 oz. bottle. Pours a slightly hazy amber with a moderate head that faded away after a few minutes. Very light aroma of malt and caramel. Almost immediately, there is a dry bitterness that kicks in, but the beer itself lacks any flavor. A bit thin. Disappointing.

Beerdedone (3408) - Croydon, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 22, 2007
Bottle sampled. Pours amber in color with a small off-white head. Faint malty aroma with light caramel, and a hint of some spices. Flavor was bland and light bodied with sweet malts, caramel, and some notes of spice