overall
RATINGS: 841   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.17/5   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
The newest Abita brew takes its name and inspiration from the Mardi Gras Indians of New Orleans. Looking for Indians on Mardi Gras Day is a tradition for many New Orleans families. A cultural phenomenon familiar to residents of the Crescent City, the Mardi Gras Indians are not well known to outsiders and Abita is proud to help share their story with the world.

aracauna (3606) - Georgia, USA - APR 12, 2008
Pours a clear copper with a good, lasting yellowed head. The aroma is a bit leafy. Peppery, good malt backbone. Very nice easy-drinking IPA.

patrick767 (4063) - fort wayne, Indiana, USA - APR 12, 2008
bottle - Pours clear amber/orange with a one finger white head. The aroma is of citrus hops and caramel malt. The flavor is a solid balance of these hops and malts that isn’t terribly interesting, but it’s good. This beer is medium bodied and has the characteristic long, bitter IPA finish.

Hank1980 (966) - Athens, Georgia, USA - APR 7, 2008
Brew poured copper with an white head. Lacing on the glass. Aroma of citrus & floral hops, as well as some misplaced grain. Flavors are also of citrus, more hops flavor than malted grain (like lemon grass), but still the grain is subtuly in there. Mouth is fairly carbonated and body is medium. Not the best IPA. Would be much better if not for the grain, though not a bad drinker.

0.8
Funknmilla (745) - Wayne, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 6, 2008
12 oz bottle.....Smells soapy, yuk (sour)...clear copper with an off-white head...its average and it fades quickly....thin and watery, soapy aftertaste...some watery citrus...not good, not good at all..I took just a few sips of this and gave it away...

TheDutchman (19) - Louisiana, USA - APR 6, 2008
UPDATED: FEB 3, 2010 This is what I said the first time I rated this beer. "I’m a big Abita fan but not really a big IPA fan but I thought I’d give it a shot. It poured nice and looks great but has the aroma of a Christmas Tree farm. I know that is to be expected from an IPA but this seemed overly sprucy. The flavor was like drinking pine needle soup." Now I’m not going to go out and start chugging IPA’s but I recently thought I’d try this again because it was rated so high in Draft and it came in a party pack I had recently. I stand corrected. This is a good beer. Very similar in taste to an english bitter which I love. I really enjoyed this the 2nd time around.

demdeac40 (299) - Etowah, North Carolina, USA - APR 6, 2008
Pours a nice honey orange with a creamy white head. Aroma has nice candied citrus with a definite hop bitterness. Tastes of slight citrus with a definite influence of pine. Finishes bitter but overly so.

drfabulous (7950) - Lexington, Kentucky, USA - APR 3, 2008
Slightly better than expected. Bit of hops. Little bit of taste. Not much else. I guess it could be a fall back beer for this lame city.

BeerBelcher (972) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - APR 3, 2008
Ithought this to be a solid yet unremarkable IPA; I wouldn’t travel great distance to find it, but it was the best locally-brewed I’ve had in Louisiana, which given my limited exposure is not saying all that much. Appearance was a hazy beige, yet the body still had a brilliant appearance despite the haze. Aroma was somewhat hoppy and lightly citrus-y. Flavor was more hop with a touch of citrus, but also revealed a sturdy malt backbone and some rye-beer-like flavor and rough texture. Mouthfeel was generally OK but unremarkable. I would recommend this beer, which I had from a battle at the New Orleans d.b.a.

FROTHINGSLOSH (7796) - GREENSBURG, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 1, 2008
Sampled from a 12 oz brown bottle this beer poured a caramel-amber color with a large caramel head. The aroma was lightly sweet, fruity and resiny. The flavor was bitter grapefruit with a mild dry malt base. The finish was bitter floral hops. Too dry for my taste.

Arayaga2 (2198) - portland, Oregon, USA - MAR 30, 2008
Filtered reddish orange with minimal white head. Faint floral sweet hop aroma. Taste is light and regularly hoppy for style. It is middling at best. $2/12 oz