overall
RATINGS: 1525   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.21/5   IBU: 28   EST. CALORIES: 168   ABV: 5.6%
Abita Turbodog is a dark brown ale brewed with Willamette hops and a combination of British pale, crystal and chocolate malts. This combination gives Turbodog its rich body and color and a sweet chocolate-toffee like flavor.

zach8270 (4021) - Henrietta, New York, USA - JUN 15, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 10, 2008 [bottle] Pours a clear, reddish brown with a thick and creamy tan head. Faint aroma of watered down coffee and roasted malts. Slightly sweet taste with a nice roasty flavor and a good bitter finish. Good amount of carbonation on the palate and warms on the way down. Thanks to Warrior for this one.

jon112981 (327) - Bristow, Virginia, USA - JUN 11, 2004
Dark, opaque color. Little to no head, fades quicly. Smells sweet. Light, almost watery tasting. Finishes with a refreshing taste of malt and a trace of hops. Taste fades as quickly as the head

Slick (1969) - Thief River Falls, Minnesota, USA - JUN 5, 2004
Dark brown color,small tan head that lasted for a short time then faded to a small amount of lace.The aroma was malty and mildly hopped with maybe a slight fruit presence.The taste was much better then i expected.NIcely malty with a slight bitter sweet side and a mild amount of hops coming through.Not a bad brew at all but i know there are better ones of the style out there.

brianprentiss (703) - Portland, Oregon, USA - MAY 25, 2004
UPDATED: APR 25, 2008 Deep color, decent head, widely accesable. Tasted on draft and in bottle, farily inexpensive and really good. I really like this beer, and even though it is a bit better than Newcastle, it is much cheaper most of the time.

n0kwa (34) - Talisheek, Louisiana, USA - MAY 19, 2004
Dark color, full taste. Slightly smoky flavor. Complimented grilled bratwurst nicely.

Silphium (3198) - Traverse City, Michigan, USA - MAY 18, 2004
This deep red beer is topped by a thin light tan head. The nose is very chocolatey and somewhat earthy/yeasty (reminiscent of an English porter). In fact, the body is along the lines of an English porter, too- this has a nice chocolatey matrix, with yeast and tobacco notes as well. Has a somewhat acidic, tangy aftertaste. I agree with previous reviewers that this beer is very thin-bodied and needs a bit more "weight." However, I enjoy the flavor. This may be the bastard stepson of Fuller’s London Porter. I hear jeers and outrage- I’m not claiming this beer rivals Fuller’s, but it does have the same flavor characteristics.

VTHopHead (1513) - Seymour, Tennessee, USA - MAY 15, 2004
Brown/black in color. Very small tannish head. Very thin, almost watery palate. Would not drink if better alternatives were available.

hershiser2 (3667) - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA - MAY 7, 2004
Deep brown with an awesome head. Smells of slight coffee and caramels... nice, but kinda ordinary. Taste is thin and... well.. milklike. Aftertaste/feeling is more like having just had a White Russian than a beer. Where I enjoy a White Russian from time to time, I don’t care for my beers leaving that aftertaste.

Lumpy (1802) - Carrollton, Texas, USA - APR 27, 2004
Draught. Thin off white semi-dense head. Dark garnet in color, almost opaque. Notes of straw and a very light coffee/roasted taste. Strong after taste of coins/blood. This beer is not good on its own, but it may go well with food.

god (18) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - APR 24, 2004
Very smooth and thick. Almost liike drinking whole milk. Head doesn't last long. Simple flavor of toffee with slight aftertaste. Much like a "nut brown" in many ways, but without the nuts. Poop brown is the best I can describe the color. My mom drove a Ford Pinto this same color. I like my beer with a little more red coloration. For being one of the cheapest beers at my local liquor store it's suprisingly good. That doesn't mean I'l buy it again though. Not bitter enough for my pallet (I like balance).