overall
RATINGS: 1570   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.21/5   IBU: 28   EST. CALORIES: 168   ABV: 5.6%
Abita Turbodog is a dark brown ale brewed with Willamette hops and a combination of British pale, crystal and chocolate malts. This combination gives Turbodog its rich body and color and a sweet chocolate-toffee like flavor.

superspak's rating

superspak (5508) - Michigan, USA - JAN 30, 2013
12 ounce bottle into pint glass, no bottle dating. Pours slightly hazy dark reddish brown color with a nice 1-2 finger dense khaki head with great retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Spotty foamy lacing clings down the glass. Aromas of caramel, toast, toffee, brown sugar, chocolate, light roast, light nuttiness, herbal, and slight raisin. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance and complexity of dark malts. Taste of caramel, toast, toffee, chocolate, brown sugar, light nuttiness, roast, herbal, and slight raisin. No bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of caramel, toast, toffee, chocolate, light nuttiness, and brown sugar on the finish for a short bit. Very nice malt flavor balance that is fairly robust, with good complexity; and zero cloying sweetness present after the finish. Light-medium carbonation and medium bodied; with a creamy and lightly slick mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with almost zero warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a very good brown ale. Nice balance and robustness of malt flavors; and extremely smooth to drink. A very enjoyable offering.

smau33 (79) - - JUN 8, 2017
Color marrone con riflessi ramati. Naso quasi inesistente e palato con eccesso di caramello e malti torrefatti. Poco equilibrio

mrjaxson (573) - .08 Junction, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 7, 2017
Roast nuts and caramel aromas drift up from a dark brown ale. Nice sweet taste. Consumed alongside shrimp, andouille and chicken jambalaya at Maxie’s Southern Comfort in Milwaukee. Delicious all around.

westknife (104) - USA - APR 25, 2017
I’M YOUR TURBO LOVER! TELL ME THERE’S NO OTHER! Perfectly sums up this beer.

spittle8 (137) - California, USA - APR 7, 2017
Poured from a bottle, Texarkana. Malty aroma that smells a bit sour, not in a good way. It really does smell a bit like a wet dog. Taste isn’t much better. I don’t care for the look of it, either. It tastes and smells like it was made from real, quality beer-making ingredients -- not rice or corn -- but that’s all I really have to say that is nice about this beer. The mouthfeel is good and the aftertaste isn’t bad. I actually haven’t had many brown ales so maybe this isn’t my style. I dislike Newcastle.

kevinator63 (36) - California, USA - MAR 14, 2017
Brownish ruby appearance, nice aroma, light/medium hops flavor. A decent enough beer, although I drank it from a bottle that wasn’t properly stored and not fresh. Not bad, but really nothing noteworthy.

0.6
jper7368 (1) - Louisiana, USA - MAR 8, 2017 does not count
This is by far the worst beer I’ve ever had and I’m from Louisiana which is where abita is made so I love them, but I have to say they were way off on this one. I would like to make a note that it is probably called turbodog because it literally taste like beef jerky dog treats. It even smells like beef jerky. If you eat beef jerky frequently please buy this beer at least one bottle at a bar smell it and then taste it and think of beef jerky and that is exactly what you will get. I’m sorry but liquid beef jerky does not appeal to me so I’m going to have to say this is by far the worst beer I have ever had and I’ve had some bad beer

Murrow (101) - Kirkwood, Missouri, USA - FEB 26, 2017
Bottle at home. Pours ruby brown, tan head. Aroma is malty and sweet, a little cloying. Nice, even roast character, not as sweet as the aroma would suggest. Mild hop bitterness. Alcohol on the finish. Smooth mouthfeel. Medium carbonation. Very pleasant, easy-drinking brown.

papat444 (136) - Carignan, Quebec, CANADA - FEB 20, 2017
Appearance: Brown-red body with a thick tan head that sticks to the sides of my glass. Smell: Caramel, some sour notes, berries. Taste: Sour cherries, some wood (oak?) and wheat. Has a distinct though quiet metallic finish. I also taste berries, dried not fresh. Mouthfeel: Low carbonation with an average body and a touch thin. Not uncomfortable but it doesn’t have that smoothness that i like

sav3367 (2) - - JAN 9, 2017 does not count
Perhaps my favorite beer. So far it goes well with just about anything I’ve eaten.

MBlessing (1295) - Württemberg, GERMANY - DEC 18, 2016
Schönes dunkles braun schöner Mokka schaum, Geruch rauchig malzig würzig leicht holzig, Geschmack ist kräftig herb malzig schwer rauchig holzig dörrpflaume sehr dunkle schokolade leichte süße nicht so schlecht