overall
RATINGS: 1485   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.75/5   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
A pale, strong, fruity, hoppy Trappist ale from one of Belgium’s six official abbey breweries. Achel 8° is hard to find even in Belgium; in the U.S. it’s up there with the rarest of beers. This blond, flavorful beer is a surprisingly refreshing brew at 8% alcohol by volume. It is lightly filtered, but still wholesomely hazy with yeast remaining and refermenting in the bottle.

Moz (613) - Gothenburg, SWEDEN - MAR 2, 2007
Bottle. Cloudy golden colour with a huge white head. Nose is citrus & candy. Sweet flavour with some pineapple & orange peel. Slightly alcoholic.

EHSRanders (2047) - Tjele, DENMARK - MAR 2, 2007
Bottle. Large creamy head. Golden colour with some sediment. Nice fruty aroma. Very nice fruity flavor. Refreshing palate.

cgarvieuk (24166) - Edinburgh, SCOTLAND - MAR 2, 2007
UPDATED: OCT 16, 2007 clowdy amber, with a slightly sour nose , full flavour fruity with a hint of bitter (14/12/05 ) 3.2
TK2 ... Bottler at home ... Clear amber ... but lots of sediment in bottle ...fruity and bready nose ... bready fruityness ... little bitter and drying in linger with some tartness. 3.2(without reference) 16/10/2007

mabel (9246) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 28, 2007
[208-20070214] Bottle. Earthy mushroom aroma with a yeasty background. Slightly cloudy, light orange yellow body with a medium-lasting small white head. Same qualities in flavour as in aroma with mild fruit tones added. Medium body, a little astringent. Comes together well.

lagomswedish (213) - Umeå, SWEDEN - FEB 15, 2007
Bottle @bishops Arms in Umeå. It’s Valentine’s Day. The wife and I are spending a rare night out together away from the kids. We find a secluded table in the Bishops Arms and hold hands like we are a couple of teenagers. I took a quick sip of beer and, as I gazed adoringly into my wife’s eyes, I fell hopelessly head over heels in love - with this beer! Damn this is great stuff. I don’t know why, but I was carrying around the impression Achel is the poor relation of the Trappist family. Well it’s not. This tripel pours a hazy cloudberry with a fizzy, spitting white head that dissolves almost straight away. Incredible yeasty aromas of fruits (rum-soaked raisins), honey and spice, and a stunning balance of subtle sweetness and bitter hops that makes this beer so drinkable (other than the fact it costs $12 a pop). A great beer to remember Valentine’s Day by. I only hope my wife (who’se lovely too for the record) doesn’t read this review :)

WeeHeavySD (3387) - Portland, Oregon, USA - FEB 4, 2007
Beer 4 of O’brien’s Trappist Tasting 2/3/07. Pours gold with a thin head, light and sweet smell. The taste is slightly bitter with a hoppy punch in the mouth. Decent but not amazing.

tykjen (182) - Florø, NORWAY - FEB 1, 2007
Very aromatic tripel. Looks good , smells good and tastes good! Yeasty/fruity aroma, well attenuated and balanced. Hops gets through easily. Huge, filling mouthfeel and slighly sweet finish. A very well made beer.

cathcacr (647) - Oregon, USA - JAN 29, 2007
UPDATED: FEB 20, 2007 Effing amazing. I don’t care what the consensus rates this beer; the consensus is an ass. I loooove expertly done Tripels, and this presents like a Tripel, not some generic "Belgian Strong." It’s about as delectable as any Tripel I’ve had. I never knew the meaning of "rocky head" until this one piled upon itself in all its topographical glory. Lacing is aggressive. Appearance points shall duly oveflow into the overall score. This one mellowed up on me towards the end of the glass. 1/10 a point off for that, but still.

tomthompson89 (1982) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JAN 28, 2007
probably my fav blond, yeasty fruity nose, golden with some sediment, cloudy, decnt white head, yeasty citric slightly fruty flavour, good mouthfeel

BartC (727) - Lichtaart, BELGIUM - JAN 28, 2007
large dense fine head. Very sticky to the glass. Clear blond beer. Aroma dominated by hops but not overwelming. Sweet malty taste. Medium carbonation. The aftertaste remains for a long time.