overall
Brewed by Brauerei Heller
Style: Smoked
Bamberg, Germany

RATINGS: 1136   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.84/5   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 40   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
While for the classic "Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier" traditionally beech has been - and still is - used, the malt for "Schlenkerla Oak Smoke" is kilned with Oak wood. The resulting Schlenkerla Oak Smoke Malt has a smoother and more multi layered smoky note than the intensely aromatic Beech Smoke Malt. The hence complex smokiness in the "Schlenkerla Oak Smoke" is paired with the multifaceted bitterness of finest Hallertau aroma hops. With 8% alcohol and amber color it matures for months in the deep brewery cellars underneath Bamberg into a special treat for smoke beer lovers. www.Smokebeer.com

tennessejed420 (940) - Denver, Colorado, USA - NOV 29, 2012
bottle pours a slightly hazy dark reddish brown, with somewhat thin off-white tan head. I’m familiar with Aecht Schlenkerla rauchbiers, but the aroma on this one is off the charts. Woah! Roasty, smoked barbecue flavors - pork, smoky vegetable stew, sweet hickory, campfire. Also some wood aroma, birch. Also beneath the dominating smoke is still a readily distinguishable doppelbock aroma, caramel, brown sugar, wet leaves, soft fruit. There’s also a nuttyness. You can really get different aromas out of this on almost every sniff as it warms. Medium bodied, light for 8% (in a good way), nicely warming. While the same tastes are present in the flavor as in the aroma, here the doppelbock style dominates over the smoke, while both are still distinct. Finish is lingering smokyness. Overall an excellent brew, and probably my favorite from Aecht Schlenkerla yet, which is saying alot.

Boutip (6533) - Gatineau, Quebec, CANADA - NOV 23, 2012
Bottle: Poured a deep clear brown color ale with a medium size foamy head with good retention and some light lacing. Aroma of smoked malt is powerful though well balanced by some caramel malt. Taste is a great balance between some caramel malt with some light sweet notes and a good level of smoked notes. Body is not as full as expected with good carbonation and no apparent alcohol. Well brewed and not as smoky as expected since the malt really cut through some of the smoke.

ebone1988 (2122) - Dearborn, Michigan, USA - NOV 17, 2012
Aroma is interesting, smoky, like a ham scent, but sweet with caramel. The apperance is copper, one finger light brown head. The taste is weird. It tastes exactly as it smells. It holds qualities with a doppelbock and finishes tasting like a honey baked ham. Initially you get a caramel sweetness but it slowly turns into ham. Its wild stuff. The mouthfeel is great, very malty, soft carbonation, goes down smooth. Overall, its fascinating and worth a try!

madquacker (1170) - Canberra ACT, AUSTRALIA - NOV 17, 2012
This is the best smoke beer I have had. But I still don’t get it. Pork rind flavoured beer anyone? Is sweeter and more approachable than the beech variety. Too much like medicine enfused with rancid bacon for my tastes.

BlackHaddock (7672) - Shropshire, ENGLAND - NOV 14, 2012
Half-litre bottle, just out of date when poured into my Abbot Ale glass tankard on 14 Nov 2012 @ home. Good clear amber body with a creamy tan coloured head (for twenty seconds), the head sadly soon turned into a wispy covering and collar. Smoked German ham came straight into my mind as I poured the beer and the aroma left the bottle. This beer is a liquid version of smoked ham that has been infused with dark, sweet, malty molasses and wraped in hops. Really enjoyed this beer: I’ve been to Bamberg a few times and have struggled to embrace the whole rauch scene in general, wish I’d found this during my visits, it might have changed my view of smoky brews: oak obviously does it for me rather than the beech!

Pastor (799) - Skowhegan, Maine, USA - NOV 12, 2012
poured into a dimple glass it produced barely any head. it had a nice amber color. A nice smokey aroma hit my nose. the flavors were malt forward with a subtle hint of smoke. its paired well with my cheese and cracker snack

zoucrew102 (2104) - - NOV 10, 2012
Aroma is very smokey but very inviting. Amber colored. Taste is smoky but it is very smooth. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

fidelis83 (2508) - Clinton, Iowa, USA - OCT 28, 2012
Nearly clear copper pour with a 1 finger, creamy, soapy beige head. Aroma is definitely recognizeable as oak smoke, some light caramel, tobacco (not smoke), old capsite, wet grass, spice and a bunch more awesome smoke. Flavor is sweet and smoky up front, some caramel and malt sweetness, toffee and bready notes, a decent dose of planty and spicy hops and some grilled fruit and bread to the finish. Medium body with a creamy, oily feel throughout and an all around light to moderate carbonation. Pretty tasty stuff, I really need to buy more Schlenkerla beer for the cold months.

JStax (7173) - Devola/Marietta, Ohio, USA - OCT 28, 2012
Poured from a bottle into a snifter. Pours a lighter orange color with a white head of foam. The aroma has some hefty bacon presence on top of a light malt bill. This one isn’t as heavily smoked as I’ve experienced from this brewery in the past, but I think it’s for the best, here. Nice sipping beer, and would double nicely as a marinade on some pork chops.

The_Bish (1146) - West Midlands, ENGLAND - OCT 21, 2012
I think I’m having an affair with Oak. Oak is ok, I think though that the elm is a sexier tree. And as for the silver birch, well, move over Ms Berry, your time is up, the silver birch had better not have an owl hole in it or it is gonna be violated. Oh god, someone put me out of my misery. Classic Schlenkerla if a little less smokey bacon. That’s good for me.