overall
Brewed by Brauerei Heller
Style: Smoked
Bamberg, Germany

RATINGS: 747   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.88/5   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
The Original Schlenkerla Lentbeer is an unfiltered smokebeer, brewed according to the Bavarian Purity Law of 1516. Bottom-fermenting yeast gives the reddish brown lentbeer a natural cloudiness. Its smokey aroma is already noticeable in the smell, combined with a fine hoppy note. In the drink the fullbodied, highly drinkable lentbeer shows its strong malty flavour, rounded up with the smokey taste and a light bitterness. Due to the nourishing yeast, the Original Schlenkerla Lentbeer has the "Brotzeit already included" (German word for afternoon snack). Served / Sold: - Only during lent from Ash Wednesday to Easter - Only from the wooden keg at the Schlenkerla Data: Original Gravity: 14.5% Alcohol: 5.5% EBU: 32

GodOfThunder (1271) - Orlando, Florida, USA - APR 6, 2009
UPDATED: MAY 1, 2014 Re-Rate 4/7/12: This is seriously the best rauchbier out there. That is really all I have to add. Superb beer.

Special thanks to Redlight for getting this for us. My favorite rauchbier. Strong smell like a smoked meat market. Flavor is malty and smoked, but not super overpowering. Fantastic balance and drinkability. Amazing beer.

sloshgator (770) - Orlando, Florida, USA - APR 6, 2012
I don’t think you can get a better rauchbier. Nice bar-b-q aroma. Pleasant smokey taste that is not too faint and not too overpowering. Thanks, Redlight Redlight for bringing this one in.

JK (6329) - St. Louis Park, Minnesota, USA - AUG 15, 2015
This is beer rating 5,000. I had the opportunity to go to Schlenkerla in April of 2013 and poured this beer into the glass I purchased from the brewery. I had been looking for this beer for several years prior to that holiday, and finally found it locally this spring. The appearance of this beer is excellent. It is an opaque brown color, with a lacing, off-white head. When held up to the light, it is a red color. Also of note is the lack of filtration, and the sediment and yeast can be seen in the beer. I like the aroma, lots of smoke, and while I usually do not jump to a description of roasted meat or bacon in rauchbier, I do pick up some of those aromas here. The taste can’t be separated from the aroma. There is a lot of smoke of course; a light mineral character; dry malt and grain, and wood at the end. Aftertaste is lasting smoke and more dry malt. Full flavor and full palate, which no doubt benefits from the lack of filtration. I do not throw perfect scores out, but this beer was everything I hoped for, therefore it is called for here. Rauchbier has come to be one of my favorite styles, and it is going to be a challenge to find one better than this.

Garrat (1347) - Suffolk, ENGLAND - AUG 28, 2015
Bottle.Ruby black with a good head,aroma of smoky meat oak fruit,taste is a rauchy dream,soft and comfy,damp forest,mountain biking in the rain.

JamesFrancis96 (6) - Newfoundland, CANADA - JUL 10, 2016 does not count
This is a wonderful beer. Nice sized head with a strong aroma. The smoked taste really lasts in your mouth and pressures you to have another sip. This beer may not be for everyone but if you love different types of beers then I think you should try it. It pairs well in my opinion with Dorito’s Bold BBQ nacho chips or Ruffles Bacon & Sour Cream potato chips.