overall
Brewed by Brauerei Heller
Style: Smoked
Bamberg, Germany

RATINGS: 737   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.88/5   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
The Original Schlenkerla Lentbeer is an unfiltered smokebeer, brewed according to the Bavarian Purity Law of 1516. Bottom-fermenting yeast gives the reddish brown lentbeer a natural cloudiness. Its smokey aroma is already noticeable in the smell, combined with a fine hoppy note. In the drink the fullbodied, highly drinkable lentbeer shows its strong malty flavour, rounded up with the smokey taste and a light bitterness. Due to the nourishing yeast, the Original Schlenkerla Lentbeer has the "Brotzeit already included" (German word for afternoon snack). Served / Sold: - Only during lent from Ash Wednesday to Easter - Only from the wooden keg at the Schlenkerla Data: Original Gravity: 14.5% Alcohol: 5.5% EBU: 32

GodOfThunder (1249) - Orlando, Florida, USA - APR 6, 2009
UPDATED: MAY 1, 2014 Re-Rate 4/7/12: This is seriously the best rauchbier out there. That is really all I have to add. Superb beer.

Special thanks to Redlight for getting this for us. My favorite rauchbier. Strong smell like a smoked meat market. Flavor is malty and smoked, but not super overpowering. Fantastic balance and drinkability. Amazing beer.

sloshgator (741) - Orlando, Florida, USA - APR 6, 2012
I don’t think you can get a better rauchbier. Nice bar-b-q aroma. Pleasant smokey taste that is not too faint and not too overpowering. Thanks, Redlight Redlight for bringing this one in.

JK (6254) - St. Louis Park, Minnesota, USA - AUG 15, 2015
This is beer rating 5,000. I had the opportunity to go to Schlenkerla in April of 2013 and poured this beer into the glass I purchased from the brewery. I had been looking for this beer for several years prior to that holiday, and finally found it locally this spring. The appearance of this beer is excellent. It is an opaque brown color, with a lacing, off-white head. When held up to the light, it is a red color. Also of note is the lack of filtration, and the sediment and yeast can be seen in the beer. I like the aroma, lots of smoke, and while I usually do not jump to a description of roasted meat or bacon in rauchbier, I do pick up some of those aromas here. The taste can’t be separated from the aroma. There is a lot of smoke of course; a light mineral character; dry malt and grain, and wood at the end. Aftertaste is lasting smoke and more dry malt. Full flavor and full palate, which no doubt benefits from the lack of filtration. I do not throw perfect scores out, but this beer was everything I hoped for, therefore it is called for here. Rauchbier has come to be one of my favorite styles, and it is going to be a challenge to find one better than this.

Garrat (1347) - Suffolk, ENGLAND - AUG 28, 2015
Bottle.Ruby black with a good head,aroma of smoky meat oak fruit,taste is a rauchy dream,soft and comfy,damp forest,mountain biking in the rain.

JamesFrancis96 (6) - Newfoundland, CANADA - JUL 10, 2016 does not count
This is a wonderful beer. Nice sized head with a strong aroma. The smoked taste really lasts in your mouth and pressures you to have another sip. This beer may not be for everyone but if you love different types of beers then I think you should try it. It pairs well in my opinion with Dorito’s Bold BBQ nacho chips or Ruffles Bacon & Sour Cream potato chips.

77ships (10844) - Antwerpen, BELGIUM - MAY 22, 2011
UPDATED: JAN 24, 2015 [email protected] Moeder Lambic: brown colour with a small creamy, lacing head, smell is lots of smoke & some toasted malt, taste is first a lovely blast of smoke followed by plenty of raw bacon (the beer itself is very meaty) & some toasted malt, very woody oak, the remnants of a campfire that are present throughout come back in the ending & smoke changes a bit, I feel a bit like it would have been even better if the body was thicker than it is now, really love this taste, it is amazing

Hawky82 (1) - - JUN 27, 2012 does not count
Ein Biergenuss der seines gleichen sucht. Beliebt wegen seines rauch Schinkengeschmacks

Teran (332) - Belgrade, SERBIA - SEP 10, 2016
Stronger taste version of a smoke beer from this brewer. Delicous beer. Clear dark amber. Very easy to drink. Perfect taste, aroma superb, palete unforgettable. My, my, hey, hey, great stuff!

malrubius (2986) - Springfield, Vermont, USA - MAR 4, 2009
Growler from Bierkraft in Schlenkerla glass. Reddish brown with lasting beige head. Very smoky woodsmoke and toasted caramel aroma. Smoky toasted caramel brown sugar with lager grassiness and lingering mild bitterness. Medium body and medium carbo. Very clean and very smoky, but still the toasted caramel of the malts and the hop bitterness come through beautiful. Ok, I’ve been waiting a couple of years to try this one, and it is awesome. I thought it would be my first 5, but I’m not sure it’s actually better than the marzen, which has less lingering bitterness. I will have to decide whether this or the marzen will be my first 5. Anyhow, I think I need to move to Bamberg.

willblake (2654) - Bel Air, Maryland, USA - APR 8, 2005
UPDATED: APR 10, 2005 04.07.05 16oz, hand-bottled from growler by TAR. Hazed chestnut, glowing. Sports a creamy khaki head mixed with some sizeable bubbles despite the stress it’s been put through in its short life. Aroma is deep with woodsmoke, hints of brine, more smoke, ripe grain, layer after layer of smoke, and something of a caramelized fruit quality (raisin?). First sip and wow! Now this is a session beer! As dominant as the smoke is on the nose, on the palate this seems more like an alt with some definite toasty (pretzel) notes and a bit salty. Smoke is integrated beautifuly to simply play into the overall impression. And while more heavily smoked than the majority of ’smoked’ brews seem to be, it’s maybe the least smoky of the Aecht Schlenkerlas that I’ve tried. The body is soft, very wet and refreshing; hints of tangy hops bitterness on the back of the palate. Damn, this stuff’s invigorating. I feel younger for having drunk this ambrosia. Thank you Jeff!

After dreaming about this beer for the last couple of nights, I’ve come to realize that I grossly underated the stuff. I’ve been waking with the DTs thinking about smoke. Previous rating 4.3