overall
Brewed by Brauerei Heller
Style: Smoked
Bamberg, Germany

RATINGS: 2635   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.68/5   IBU: 30   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Bamberg’s speciality, a dark, bottom fermented smokebeer, brewed with Original Schlenkerla Smokemalt from the Schlenkerla maltings and tapped according to old tradition directly from the gravity-fed oakwood cask in the historical brewery tavern.

Archibaldo de la Cruz (1120) - FINLAND - JUL 20, 2008
UPDATED: FEB 13, 2009 Dark amber colour with a medium head. Strong aroma of smoked ham. Medium-bodied beer with flavour of smoked ham and tar. Aftertaste is also quite smoky and a bit bitter. Definitely worth trying. Very delicious smoked beer.

KingpinIPA (841) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 19, 2008
Bottle via beerlando. Reddish brown color. Smell of malt, smoke, light roasted coffee and caramel. Tate of smoke, roasted malt and hops. Nice balance of the malt and smoke.

Borresteijn (7608) - Zaandam, NETHERLANDS - JUL 15, 2008
UPDATED: JUL 31, 2014 Bottle @ home. Clear dark brown/reddish colour, smell of smoked bacon/smoked eel. Greasy taste of charcoal and smoked bacon, a little malts. Nice bitter finish. Moutfeel is medium, bit oily. Love it or hate it. I love it!

jhumphries69 (1034) - Tyrone, Georgia, USA - JUL 13, 2008
50cl bottle (I love the shape of these bottle, btw). Pours a deep, dark brown/copper with a thin, almost white head. The aroma is like a campfire - very smoky like beef jerky or fresh, heavily-smoked ham. There is a light graininess in the aroma, too. The flavor is grainy with a light sweetness and firm smokiness. Mid-tongue features an interesting bitterness - an earthy, light spiciness that goes well with the smokiness. The finish is full with hints of chocolate and more smoke. The mouthfeel is medium-light in body with only moderate carbonation. Overall, a very decent rauchbier - but not as enticing or well-balanced as their Urbock.

hombrepalo (1972) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUL 11, 2008
Half a liter bottle. Its Bacon!!!! I like bacon and I like beer but this was something else. Smoked I guess isn’t one of my styles. Poured a dark brown with small beige head. Smell like smoke / charcoal. Malty watery bacon smoke taste. Hard for me to finish. I let this sit for a while to see if it tastes better warm but no luck still one of the hardest beers I’ve had to drink.

gary07734 (500) - Tyne & Wear, ENGLAND - JUL 10, 2008
0.5l bottle. This was the first smoked beer I tried, and I only bought it on a whin so it was a hell of a surprise! The smell is extremely fragrant, strong smoked bacon smell overpowering anything else. Taste is much the same, some hops and bitterness, with a big smokey flavour which constantly reminded me of smoked bacon. Very unusual, a bit too wierd for me. However, I’m sure if you’re used to the smoked taste it’s pretty good.

BelgiskOlklub (1089) - Viby J, DENMARK - JUL 9, 2008
Bottle 50 cl. Average size, creamy off-white diminishing head with fair lacing. Brown clear body. Aroma of smoke, tar and tobacco. Medium body, oily texture and soft carbonation. The flavor is moderate sweet and light bitter. A OK beer, I just have to get used to the taste of ash tray !!

1.3
wyzzywyz22 (2108) - Wirral, Merseyside, ENGLAND - JUL 7, 2008
Bottle, Barleycorns, Nantwich. Oh dear, I just wasn’t prepared for quite how overwhelmingly smoky in all aspects this would be. In no way is this subtle. Really pretty disgusting. Something I suppose you either love or hate and I’m firmly in the latter camp.The intense campfire smokiness just kills this for me. The whole concept of a beer that tastes like a sausage is not one that appeals, and I guess that I just don’t dig this style....

gam (4142) - brisbane, AUSTRALIA - JUL 7, 2008
Large frothy head,light tan in colour,on a red/brown pour,good carbonation.Aroma,charcoal malt.Flavour bitter hops,coffee notes,burnt taste,burning wood sensation,think i,ve had enough of this style,not for me.

grimreeser (797) - Minnesota, USA - JUL 3, 2008
Pours dark brown with a thin tan head. Aroma of smoke and wood. Nice sweetness. Solid.