overall
Brewed by Brauerei Heller
Style: Smoked
Bamberg, Germany

RATINGS: 2635   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.68/5   IBU: 30   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Bamberg’s speciality, a dark, bottom fermented smokebeer, brewed with Original Schlenkerla Smokemalt from the Schlenkerla maltings and tapped according to old tradition directly from the gravity-fed oakwood cask in the historical brewery tavern.

phishpond417 (2088) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 28, 2008
This beer was an incredibly unique beer. The taste was the first I have ever had. Having never tried a smoked beer, i was definately impressed. dark brown colour, huge flowing head. lots of smoke and barbeque aromas, bacon, burgers and Lambeau Field. Mouthfeel was incredibly creamy lots of nutty character.

kappldav123 (6158) - GERMANY - MAY 22, 2008
The bottle looks good, the beer in the glass also. Smells very much like smoked bacon. Tastes the same. Very spicy, roast-malty, dry finish. Not my favourite!

Madsnp (933) - DENMARK - MAY 19, 2008
Bottle. Dark brown with a huge light brown head. Aroma is smoked with notes of bacon/smoked ham - something smoked.. Flavour is sweet at the start, but dry and smoky in the aftertaste. This could work great with food.

zappafan99 (463) - ASCENSION ISLAND - MAY 16, 2008
UPDATED: JUL 4, 2008 Wow..bacon bit beer. This could only come from the land of meats shoved into skins. Foam quickly departs. Dark red/brown body. If I went camping and caught my own fish, then brewed my own beer this may be the result. The taste is mild, but the aroma is so strong..did I just eat a campfire? The malt is what saves the beer.. then there is some hops popping on the back of my tongue. This is like judging the olympics on another planet. The more I acclimate the more it makes sense. Sort of...

wheresthepath (2424) - Buckinghamshire, ENGLAND - MAY 15, 2008
UPDATED: JAN 28, 2017 [First rate - 13/2/2008 - 500ml bottle shared with Justin at The Retreat, Reading - RB score 7/4/6/2/14(3.3)] Smells of smoked sausage or salami. Taste overwhelmingly smokey, at once both sweet and dry. Leaves mouth feeling like an ashtray. Just plain weird - nice to try, but not convinced I’d want it again. Had a Stonehenge Old Smokey the same night, and that was a far better balanced smoke beer. [Second rate - 21/1/17 - bottle that Jus shared, cheers - RB score 7/4/8/4/15 (3.8)] Dark brown with a thick off-white head and a light fizz. Less of the salami I remembered from my previous encounters; instead it tasted more of smoke and gravy. Some chocolatey malt notes too. Quite enjoyed it this time around. Overall rate is the average of all individual rates.

topher40409 (38) - gainesville, Florida, USA - MAY 15, 2008
bottle: aroma is of smoke and a huge amount of smoked bacon with a little malt coming through. Pours a rich dark brown that is slightly hazy. huge 3-4 finger off-white mountainous head fades. amazing lacing, almost coats the glass. taste is of sweet malt that is quickly followed by a pleasant smoked bacon tatse. I am sure there is more to this beer, but this is my first smoke beer and I just can’t get past the smoked meat flavor. The aftertaste is a delacate smoke flavor mixed with a little woodsy hops- the hops become more evident as it warms.

mvcramer (243) - Lexington, Massachusetts, USA - MAY 14, 2008
Enjoyed this one at Redbones over lunch to celebrate closing on my first house. I’ve found most rauchbiers to be over-done... just a ton of smoke aroma and way out of balance. This one is the best I’ve tried. Smoky aromas balanced well with sweet maltiness. Mouthfeel was pleasant, not overly slick like many others in this style. Appearance seemed just the slightest bit watery on pour, but was a nice deep brown in the glass. Highly recommended.

carruthm (1400) - Seattle, Washington, USA - MAY 13, 2008
like liquid jerky and I mean that as a compliment. Probably wouldn’t want to have more than 1L of this at any one time because the flavor is a bit strong, but I felt it a great sitting beer.

webjedi (250) - Silver Spring, Maryland, USA - MAY 11, 2008
Way, way too smoky, bordering on bacon flavor and scent. Yes, it’s a smoked, but I’m not sure this works with this "uninspiring" Marzen recipe. Good mouthfeel though, not too thin, not overly creamy. It was a bark brown, but still clear enough to see easily through the glass. Very frothy head when poured into a Marzen glass. I figured I’d get a little less "smoky" even though it was listed as smoked, but I guess it didn’t help to also be grilling outside at the time, so it was a bit overwhelming. (Bottle Pour 5/11/2008)

Rciesla (5607) - Exit 15W, New Jersey, USA - MAY 7, 2008
Bottle @ peculiar pub. Dark brown with heavy smoked flavor, chewy bacon, and smoke is all over.