overall
Brewed by Brauerei Heller
Style: Smoked
Bamberg, Germany

RATINGS: 1692   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.87/5   SEASONAL: Autumn   IBU: 40   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
(First tapping every first Thursday of October) A smoked bock beer for Bamberg’s strong beer season (October through December). Matured for months in ancient rock-cellars underneath Bamberg and tapped freshly from the oakwood cask. Similar to, but much bigger than the classic Maerzen style.

Ernest (7911) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - APR 19, 2002
UPDATED: JUL 28, 2010 Bottle. Head is initially average sized, frothy, light brown, mostly lasting. Body is dark brown. Aroma is moderately malty (toasted dark bread, caramel), with notes of savory smoke (wood and meat), leather, and cumin. Flavor is moderately to heavily sweet, lightly bitter. Finish is lightly to moderately sweet, moderately bitter. Medium to full body, velvety/watery texture, lively/soft carbonation, lightly alcoholic. Probably my fave of the three main beers...richer and less smoke-driven than the maerzen, although I’m not always in the mood for that. I really need to try making a blend of the maerzen and bock...my usual mood is for something in between the two in terms of body, richness/sweetness, and alcohol.

Drinkingdan (375) - East Norriton, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 15, 2002
It taste like a BBQ potato chip!!! I can't believe how much I love this stuff. I loved it from the first smokey aroma to the last smokey sip. This is deffinitly the one of the strangest beers I have ever had and one of my Favorites!!!

austinpowers (2831) - San Francisco, California, USA - MAR 25, 2002
A truly special brew! Worthy of slow contemplation. Somehow, an entire smokehouse was crammed into the bottle.

LuckeyHaskins99 (180) - Toledo, Ohio, USA - MAR 20, 2002
Paid too much (actually it was worth it) and got a bottle of this stuff... WOW! It's like drinking beer in front of a fireplace, only without the ashes in your face. Considering the fact that I add liquid smoke to almost everything I cook (Except for scrambled eggs and most stir fry) this stuff really appealed to me! This is the first beer I have bought based solely on the recommendation of Ratebeer.com and I am impressed... the panel scores a hit with this one... Something wrong with the way it smells though, like liquid smoke the smell seemed artificial, but the beer itself tasted like smokehouse scrapings, and not like a cedar closet, or other attempts at 'woodsy' beers. I like a smokey flavor more in scotch or bourbon, but for beer, this was great, will recommend for those with the green to blow on a bottle.

fdoosey99 (4) - Sayreville, New Jersey, USA - MAR 7, 2002 does not count
Very smoky beer. Good flavor, but the head was weak. Tastes somewhat like smoked sausage and is very thick on the tongue. Good for its style.

TAR (2802) - Blue Ridge Mountains, North Carolina, USA - FEB 28, 2002
UPDATED: NOV 11, 2014 Multiple pours from the oak barrel at Schlenkerla over the years, and dozens of fresh bottles. While I tend to prefer the peppy vibrancy and nuanced complexity of the marzen to the bruising intensity of this, it’s still a top-tier rauchbier. It takes copious amounts of melanoidins to elevate rauchbier into something magical, and while this exhibits a hint of them, it leans toward the sweeter and fruitier side of the spectrum. But what it lacks in beefy malt-driven complexity makes up for it nicely with its idiosyncratic pen ink, shoe polish and molasses-steeped plum dimensions. Perhaps not overly complex and not the cleanest, but certainly a beer with plenty of soul to complement the immense depth. Even at it’s immodest strength, my half-liter glass always finds itself in need of a refill within minutes. Great beer.

Drew (2470) - Kent, Ohio, USA - FEB 13, 2002
just wretched. the taste reminded me of the time in cubscouts when i dropped a hotdog in the fire then ate it - A greasy-charred taste that did not go away for a day and a half. Now, i am willing to experiment and try every beer that i can get my hands on, this is the only one of about 350 that I really don't want to try again. Sorry, this one is not for me.

MOboy (510) - Kansas City, Missouri, USA - FEB 7, 2002
I love this stuff more than anything when I am having BBQ or smoked salmon. The urbock is not as good as the marzen IMO but it is still quite decent.

Ringo (963) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - JAN 27, 2002
UPDATED: OCT 6, 2004 I love Rauchbier so my review is a bit colored. Schlenkerla Urbock is an outstanding example of the style. There is no point in me telling you that the beer is smoky, as you should already know this, or have read the other reviews. But it is also well balanced, the smoke is prominent but not overwhelming. I could actually use more smoke! You can tell that this would be a good beer without the smoke. It's not as if they just dumped in some Liquid Smoke. I don't drink Rauchbier as a curiosity, I drink it for the whole picture, which is a good beer brewed in a different style.

omhper (26030) - Tyresö, SWEDEN - JAN 21, 2002
Big beer! Lots of malt, smoke and alcohol. Lingering sausage like smokey flavour. This beer is not exactly allabout balance, it's about new taste experiances.