overall
RATINGS: 592   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.63/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
For the season we offer you our best wishes and especially delicious Ale. Rich and dark like our Dubbel. Sumptuous and smooth like our Tripel. Enjoy.

beer30 (3) - SCS, Michigan, USA - DEC 16, 2006 does not count
Amazing all-around! There is nothing about this beer that isn’t good! I compared three different vintages: 2004, 2005, and 2006, and found that my favorite, overall, was the 2005. After laying the brew down for a year, the CO2 calms down a bit, giving way to a more creamy, slightly less effervescent drink, with all the complex flavors of a fine brandy!

chalicemaster (112) - Ohio, USA - MAY 13, 2013
Winter beers can be a fickle thing, there is a tendency from some brewers to load up on ’comforts’ like cinnamon and what you’re left with is some kind of sparkling herbal tea. But when they’re done well, it’s a really special thing. I picked up this Noel by complete chance from the reduced section of an Acme in May. Poured into a traditional glass, it’s a luxurious deep red - very little head. The aroma is typical abbey, but very rich on the nose. Taste is just wonderful: liquorice, orange, and sugar flavours are upfront with a lovely warming, brandy-esque finish. My only complaint is that it is slightly over-carbonated, but I from what I read from other reviews, that dulls and more of the texture comes out, so if I can ever find another one of these I will be hoarding one for a few years. This actually tastes like christmas in a wonderfully specific way without being completely obvious. The balance of flavours here is so fantastically done, you can’t quite pinpoint what it is that makes the beer so special - and to me - that’s the mark of a great beer.

MrRoss (646) - Delta, British Columbia, CANADA - JUN 29, 2009
"I hate Christmas, but I’d like it to Christmas all year ’round if it meant I could drink this all the time. Had a couple of pints in Paris last week, at Kitty O’Shea’s. The establishment was okay, but this beer was simply brilliant. Bad ambient lighting made it hard to rate the appearance, but the colour looked a hazy brownish orange beneath a fluffy white head. Aroma was inviting, with lots of spices, and not really a suggestion of the 9% ABV. Taste was every bit as good as the aroma, delicious is all I can say. Mouth and finish were very pleasing. "

contagion (9) - San Diego, California, USA - JAN 18, 2010 does not count
Delicious beer that really complements the feel of winter. Excellent flavor with good texture and finish.

eaglesmy (1) - Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 6, 2011 does not count
On draft @ Sofitel Philly. What an awesome Christmas Ale! Perfect balance of spice and hops and malt. Flavor masks the strength in ABV. Can’t wait to have another one before its all gone!

thedm (6187) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - JAN 1, 2004
From a bottle with a cork marked 06/03, this very fine bew poured am extremely envigorated large head of foamy finely sized light brown colored long lasting bubbles that left behind a transparent brown colored carbonated body and a fair lace. The aroma is marvelous with notes of caramel malt, toffee and vinuous alcohol. The mouthfeel is also fantastinc with a thick vinuous malty sytart and a mildly lingering alcohol bite. The flavor is thick with notes of carmel malt and alcohol. This is one extremely nice brew that I feel is under-rated. I thouroughly enjoyed this brew with my dinner and afterwards. I even gave me my comlimentary beer shiver! Thanky Affligem for this gem of a brew!

Hoser (387) - Cowtown, Alberta, CANADA - DEC 31, 2006
UPDATED: MAR 11, 2007 Sadly had my last bottle Christmas Day this year. Page 14 MJ’s GBG only 199 Classic Brews out to go.

Helibrewer (22) - Santa Rosa, California, USA - DEC 15, 2012
Dark amber-ruby color. Well carbonated with ceamy 1/4" head and medium lacing. Aroma of spice and dark fruit, raisins.. Also picking up anise and very subtle banana. Somewhere between a quad and dark strong. Alcohol is not apparent. No hoppiness. A very nice beer, I will be buying more!!

Volgon (2763) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - DEC 13, 2001
This beer is creamy with hints of sweetness. My bottle was only a couple of months old, but I bet it will be great in years to come. Very smooth.

marcus (10232) - Sacramento, California, USA - SEP 29, 2004
Cork indicates 10/01. This dark brown ale pours with a short tan head, eliciting a spicy aroma. The flavor is initially very malty with a strong coriander finish, which intensifies as the beer warms. This Noel version is sort of a cross between the Affligem Dubbel and Tripel, leaning toward the Dubbel, but much spicier. I have quaffed vintages of Noel from fresh to 5 years old and 3 years seems to be the best age.