overall
RATINGS: 1220   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.32/5   IBU: 18   EST. CALORIES: 159   ABV: 5.3%
The name of this beer style comes from the German word “alt” meaning “old”. This refers to the aging that alts undergo since they ferment more slowly and at colder temperatures than most ales. Slow fermentation helps condition the flavors in Alaskan Amber, contributing to its overall balance and smoothness.

kamish (93) - Monroe, Washington, USA - JUN 5, 2006
UPDATED: SEP 24, 2006 a delicious amber. at first i didn’t think much, but after a few experiences i’ve re-decided that this is an excellent beer.

blueduk (118) - Eugene, Oregon, USA - MAY 27, 2006
This is a very good beer, don’t get me wrong. However, this is a beer that I liked a lot more before I sat down to rate it. I think that this might be a very good beer that is nonetheless overhyped. (For an excellent beer that lives up to the hype, try their smoked porter.) Alaskan Amber pours red-orange with a small tan head which dissipates quickly. If you like malty beer, you’ll be very happy with this alt. After the pour I thought I’d opened a bag of walnuts. The aroma is nutty, toasted cereal with a detectable herbal hop aroma. The beer is medium bodied and chewy, and very appetizing. Drink this at your next cookout and you won’t be disappointed.

elduchey (12) - Venice, California, USA - MAY 26, 2006
On tap at a pizza joint in Palm Springs. Great amber color with a small white head. Very sweet caramel flavor with no hint of hop. I was excited to see this beer on tap so I passed up the Chimay to try one. Big mistake on my part. This beer is over rated.

RAYBOY01 (2011) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAY 20, 2006
Very, VERY sweet...with a cloying candi sugar note. Some very light herbal hopping, but pretty subtle. Light notes of nuts and caramel. OK, I guess.

ElBorracho (472) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAY 20, 2006
Bottle at some generic Irish pub on Coronado. Pours a clear medium amber with an off-white head. Strong caramel malts with some candi sugar accents and mild hops. A very drinkable beer.

jpm30 (1587) - East Central, Georgia, USA - MAY 19, 2006
Made a decent appearance, poured a clear reddish amber with a foamy pale tannish head that quickly settled into a thin lacing, moderate carbonation. Very faint aromas, toasted grains and a nutty, sweet malty. A semi-crisp, smooth medium bodied mouth feel, average drinkability. Semi-sweet tea and floral light hop bitterness, a watery toasted graininess, nutty and caramelized sugary maltiness and a watery sweet and fruity finish. This is my least favorite beer I’ve had from Alaskan Brewing, an average altbier at best.

Sky (2) - Huntington Beach, California, USA - MAY 12, 2006 does not count
My favorite beer, so I have it on tap. Amber colored, clear, not much head when poured. As other have said, there is a carmel flavor, but it isn’t too sweet, so goes well with any type of meal. I find everyone who tries it, likes it.

Suttree (6385) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - MAY 11, 2006
Amber, as the name suggests. Big head that disipates quickly. Faint aroma of caramel. Caramel flavors, too. Peppery finish, with a faint note of smoke, as well.

SpringsLicker (3638) - Tennessee, USA - MAY 10, 2006
Clear copper pour with a minimal white head. Some malt in the aroma, some nutty toasty aromas, but overall the aroma is very restrained. Slightly sweet, no real hops here. Some salty metallic flavor in the finish.

Thaichile (599) - 10aFly, New Jersey, USA - APR 30, 2006
Bottle. Pours a clear reddish amber with a minimal head. Nose is clean, malt and caramel. Flavor is smooth, sweetness and malt with just a hop sprinkle to allow the other flavors the opportunity to be heard. Definately a beer to have more than one of, unfortunately I only had one :-(.