overall

RATINGS: 589   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.08/5   SEASONAL: Summer   IBU: 18   EST. CALORIES: 159   ABV: 5.3%
Just when you’ve had enough of winter, we release Alaskan Summer Ale in March. This traditional Kölsch beer is a great way to celebrate warmer weather and more daylight. Its crisp, clean flavor is the perfect complement for crab, halibut, salads and longer days.

SwedeDog (364) - Windsor, Connecticut, USA - JUL 10, 2005
Bomber Not much of a head, and it really looked like corn juice. But, it was surprisingly refreshing. I mean, what do Alaskans know about summer anyway?? (kidding, of course) Aroma was a little light with honey, vanilla and some spices. It had a rather sharp flavor and a playful mouthfeel. More honey and spices in the flavor. Very drinkable.

LJBrewing (22) - Anchorage, Alaska, USA - JUL 7, 2005
A true style Kolsch, very light and refreshing. The sublte fruit smell, light bodied and crisp finish. Very good with food.

NYHarvey (2153) - New York, New York, USA - JUN 30, 2005
Well it was 45 minutes between pour and the time the site actually responded and I didn’t write the notes down so this is pretty much from memory courtesy of a good ole ASP 500 error. I really can’t remember cause it was the 8th beer I rated today. i think it was kinda malty and sweet and I recall a big 2 finger head that faded fast to a half pinky head...maybe honey colred. maybe not bad. I’m not sure.

dwyerpg (6054) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - JUN 27, 2005
Smells great, apply, light - looks like a pale lager. Tastes much better than a pale lager, though. Overall, not real exciting, but it definitely can hit the spot. Not good with food.

Okra23 (28) - Flowood, Mississippi, USA - JUN 25, 2005
Nice amber color. Has a faint fruty and sweet flavor. Very drinkable everyday beer...if they could be found around me. I tried it on an alaskan cruise.

aracauna (3584) - Georgia, USA - JUN 25, 2005
Pours a clear, light amber witha quick building head that fades quickly. The aroma is a lightly sweet malt. No noticeable hops. The flavor is lightly sweet malt and no bitterness. Not really all that intresting. A bit of a disappointment.

NeonLX (261) - Wisconsin, USA - JUN 22, 2005
From a 12-oz. bottle, pours a pale golden with a bright white head. Mild aroma. Mild taste as well with no particular flavors dominating. Niether sweet nor bitter, it’s a good "middling" beer. Not available from local reatilers; sampled in Seward, AK.

AmazonMatt (285) - PANAMA - JUN 17, 2005
UPDATED: AUG 8, 2005 Re-rate (07 Aug 2005): Now that I’ve rated more beers, and read what Kolsch is supposed to be about, I re-rated. The style isn’t my favorite, but for the style, I think that it is too sweet and over-blended. There are no hops, not even mellow German hops. So too sweet, not a med. dry finish, the head dissapates quickly and I don’t find the color (that of post-multivitamin pee) that exciting. Better that baloney beer, but not by that much. First rate (June 17, 2005):It is a pale color with little in the way of hops or strong flavor. It struck me as a watered down version of the pale ale. I like the logo, but I’m sticking with other Alaska Brewing Compay offerings.

papajohn (1250) - San Diego (Mira Mesa), California, USA - JUN 10, 2005
On [email protected]’Brien’s: Pale golden color with a very small, fast fading head. Aroma is jucy fruit gum. Flavor lightly sweet and fruity with a hint of bubble gum. Smooth thin palate.

SDalkoholic (2375) - Linda Vista, California, USA - JUN 7, 2005
Nose is a small grassy hay aroma with a splice of bannana and vanilla. Gold colored and a tiny head was created but very quickly formed a thin ring around the perimeter. The flavor is bland and has only a straw grass and malt profile. It’s only a beer for those days in the sun.