overall

RATINGS: 625   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.25/5   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 22   EST. CALORIES: 192   ABV: 6.4%
Winter comes early in Alaska, so we release Alaskan Winter Ale in October. The tender new growth of spruce trees has been used for brewing in Alaska since the late 1700s when explorers sailed the coast of Alaska looking for the Northwest Passage. Alaskan Brewing revives this tradition, adding spruce tips to its Alaskan Winter Ale.

papajohn (1250) - San Diego (Mira Mesa), California, USA - NOV 6, 2005
[email protected] Solona: Aroma is sweet and lightly spice. Amber in color with a small off white head. Sweet malty start followed by some light bitterness and a little spice. Medium body, watery texture, lively carbonation.

pinkzambia (1931) - Boise, Idaho, USA - NOV 1, 2005
Bottle: Clear reddish gold with a nice, little fluffy, cream-colored head. Aromas are hard to define - I didn’t pick up any apricot or nectarine like dhlesq, but perhaps my nose is off tonight. I do pick up on some spices of some sort. Taste the spruce and I am not sure if I like it. Fairly thin but creamy feel which is nice. Average carbonation and kind of a soft, soapy aftertaste. Too flowery for me.

dhlesq (233) - Thousand Oaks, California, USA - OCT 30, 2005
Aroma of mild apricot or nectarine, warming to spruce or pine, over light sweet malt. Appears a clear copper-orange with almost no head and almost no noteable effervescence. Flavor is suprisingly full, with red berries over a light malty base, followed by hoppy bitterness mixed with spruce/pine astringency. Palate is medium to full-bodied and carries the flavors through nicely. Oversll, this beer is a puzzle, and it is quite a bit more than the sum of its parts.

AmazonMatt (285) - PANAMA - SEP 8, 2005
Hmm.... I really wanted to like this beer. (From a bottle, the 2005 brew, just out...) First, the aroma is that sour malt that I don’t favor, the pour is amber with a cloudy/fizzy body and a big head....it lost a point for the cloud. The taste is fairly sweet and that sour malt thing. Perhaps that is the style but, I don’t care for it. Bread, carmel, roasted corn. Finishes weirdly, I can’t place it strong yet , in different parts of the mouth than I am used too...Damn I really want to like this beer more than I do....BTW, no spruce, I like spruce, where’s the spruce.... Just got done reading some other posts (I usually don’t like to bias my post) but saw someone nail the aftertaste ---peanut skins...exactly...

Quillaraymi (89) - USA - SEP 8, 2005
Very nice appereance, good after taste, the spruce is on the air, I like it a lot.

beerbill (3619) - Laurel, New York, USA - MAY 23, 2005
12 oz. bottle. Pours copper colored with a pale head. Aroma is spice and yes, the spruce does come through. Slightly bitter with a very slight alcohol bite. A nice variation to the common winter ale.

Schultsc (572) - San Diego, California, USA - MAY 17, 2005
UPDATED: OCT 8, 2007 Recipe claims that it is made with spruce tips which made me axcited. Alas, there is no detectable spruce/juniper flavor. Instead all we have is a fairly boring ale with little character. Disappointing.

barenada (211) - Georgetown, Indiana, USA - MAY 16, 2005
(bottle) A nice copper color with a decent head. Starts out a little bitter but has a sweet finish and aftertaste. Works out to be very well-balanced. Another winner from Juneau.

fuzzywasabeer (35) - boise, Idaho, USA - APR 27, 2005
12oz bottle, off white 2" head, sweet malt faint nose, spruce tips sauteed in butter with sugar to taste, well balanced, minty cooling on the finish but not dry, good beer.

dwyerpg (6187) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - APR 19, 2005
It’s almost summer here in Vegas, which makes drinking this beer seem completely inappropriate. That said, this is a nice treat. Had it a little warm, but this beer is perhaps the poster child for what you’d think of when it comes to winter ales. Glad to note that were not any actual spruce tips in my beer - that would’ve been unfortunate.