overall
Serve in Tulip

RATINGS: 97   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.85/5   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
A gluten-free Belgian-inspired Saison made with sorghum. Lightly spiced with a crisp hoppy finish. Celia Saison" Is inspired by the rustic farmhouse ales of Belgium. The spicy flavor of the sorghum is complimented by the unique characteristics of our Belgium yeast, and additions of Curacao orange peel and Celia hops. We proudly offer you this award winning ale, and we warmly welcome you back into the world of beer drinking.

Duhast500 (414) - Cumberland, Rhode Island, USA - JUN 21, 2012
Got this while on a trip to VT. Poured from a 12.oz bottle into a La Fin Du Monde tulip glass. The color is a slightly hazy orange with a finger of foamy head with little lacing sticky to the glass. The smell is fruity with orange peel and a touch of apricots. There is a nice earthy tone o the aroma that does say "farmhouse" a bit with a slightly hoppy aroma in the back. The taste is sweet at first with the citrus hitting the tongue then there is a strange bland flavor where the malt should be. Not quite giving this beer enough of a sweetness that I expected. The orange rind flavor does come forward and saves this beer. There is a clay like aftertaste that does have a good slight sweetness with it so it does not become too much to handle. The feel of this beer is light and goes down easy. There is a decent amount of carbonation in this beer that does wash off some of the aftertaste. Not bad for a gluten free beer.

jcartamdg (3409) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 21, 2012
Pours a pale gold, lifeless. Aroma of coriander, and orange peel. Taste follows, disappointing. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

durhambeer (2500) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - JUN 21, 2012
Bottle shared by TURDFERGUSON. How can the same brewery that makes Heady Topper produce this beer? I shudder thinking about the experience of drinking it. Orange and menthol nose. Herbal dirt. Tastes as bad. Couldnít drink more than a tad.

pushkinwow (2781) - Ottawa, CANADA - JUN 19, 2012
Bonus from John Adams. Hazy amber with a nice slightly off white head. Aroma was slightly off and then read the description to see it was gluten free. Dehydrated orange, light funk, some lemon and pepper, slightly off earthiness. Body is like a good but watered down tea, low carbonation, somewhat sweet with a bit of funk and very very slight sourness, spice becomes more predominant, slightly off putting aftertaste. All of that being said if I had to drink a gluten free beer this would probably be near or at the top of the list.

TURDFERGUSON (4058) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - JUN 14, 2012
Wow. I havenít had too many gluten free beers so I canít judge too much, but letís just say Iím glad The Alchemist dedicates most of their tanks to making heady topper. light golden pour with small white head. Nose is salty, oregano, farty orange juice, and vacuum cleaner. Could not put down more than a Danish samples worth.

Tripplebrew (778) - Saint Paul, Minnesota, USA - JUN 12, 2012
Pours a clear orange lemon with frothy white head. Aroma is very floral with bitter citrus notes and bread. Flavor is largely floral, rose water, brown sugar and pepper. Flavors definitely came out when beer warmed out. Body is light yet active carbonation.

BroSpud (2164) - , Massachusetts, USA - JUN 11, 2012
12oz bottle. A light golden color with no head whatsoever.The pour and look is like apple juice. I tend to stay away from gluten free beer but I am a big fan of The Alchemist so figured it was worth a try. Still not a fan of the non-gluten but this is by far the best one Iíve tried. Probably deserves a higher rating but I need me my gluten.

auerbrau (3203) - Ithaca, New York, USA - MAY 30, 2012
12oz Bottle, purchased at the Brattleboro Food Coop - Brattleboro, VT. I want to be nice to this, because I know how difficult the gluten-free brewing conditions can be, but I also want to be somewhat objective. The aroma isnít helping. This smells like a hospital bathroom. Itís insanely chemical and strong. Part fermented sorghum (and I know how disgusting baijiu is), part too much orange, part really catty, pungent hops. The flavors are somehow more doable.The orange is less like cleaning solution, the hops take on a cleaner bitterness, and the sorghum settles into a softer grain character. However, itís still harsh, strong, and out of whack. If I were celiac, Iíd be switching to tequila after this.

AirForceHops (7140) - Epping, New Hampshire, USA - MAY 24, 2012
12 oz. bottle from Julioís Liquorsí. Great eye appeal in the tulip. Lightly cloudy gold with just the slightest thin, bubbly head that remained after a huge fizzle, die down. Delicious nose of orange zest and a hint of flower hops. I didnít even know what sorghum is and had to Google it. My 1st gluten free brew. After finishing, I did notice a graininess flavor that was a bit different from anything I had in a beer. However, not a bad thing. Light lingering hops. This won a Gold Medal in the gluten free category for a reason. Light, refreshing and well worth a try if you like Saisons.

MaBeer1972 (2037) - Taunton, Massachusetts, USA - MAY 24, 2012
A light orange brew. Loose white head. Bubbly carbonation. Aroma is of spice and dark oranges. Flavor is wonderfully complex of bitter orange and spicy hops. Medium body. Very tasty. Finish is long and lingering bitterness with tart apple notes. Very interesting. My first gluten-free tasting. I think Ratebeer should have a seperate gluten-free category.