overall

RATINGS: 1545   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.24/5   IBU: 120   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
An American Double IPA, packed with over 120 IBU!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
skokott (42) - toronto, Ontario, CANADA - APR 14, 2013
UPDATED: SEP 11, 2013 Bitterness, malt, tropical sweetness and floral notes come together at the perfectly harmonized levels at the right time, gentle bourbon, little weed taste. No taste sticks out like a sore thumb. Absurdly drinkable for a substantive beer. At $12/can its pricey but extremely enjoyable. Thats my biggest complaint..and it is a big one. Hard to get and expensive, but thats Alchemists right to limit their distribution but I dont have to like it. This is a must try for any aficionado and aspiring brewer. This is an example of perfect brewing execution.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
jonno (2628) - JAPAN - APR 14, 2013
UPDATED: MAY 12, 2016 Far out - this is the Robocop of beers. Clean cut, honest, but ruthlessly efficient. Huge citrus, tropical fruit nose. Super clean body, lots of big hops, well balanced, though this is an unabashed hop monster. A tad sticky. Dry finish. World class. Big thanks to Beerkat for letting me try this.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
palumbo (1) - - APR 13, 2013 does not count
Excellent character, individuality, amazing balance and drinkability for all of those hops. A good Ale makes its own friends and The Alchemist doesnt need to spend much on marketing. I notice the picture on this site shows the Heady Topper label on a bottle. I was not aware that they offered this in bottles as the brewer is insistent that in order to enjoy the full bloom of the hop aromatics this ale should be drank right out of the can.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
berniecarbo (148) - Holliston, Massachusetts, USA - APR 12, 2013
UPDATED: JUL 13, 2013 A friend brought me a can back from a VT. trip. Best beer I ever had, OMG, just really good, strong hop but not overpowering. Only gave it a 3 on apperance due to average coloring and sediment floating around, dont get me wrong, I wouldnt change a thing

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
dbarnold (1127) - Bethesda, Maryland, USA - APR 11, 2013
kick ass, perhaps the east coast answer to pliny the elder. Its super hoppy, yet balanced and not overly strong. 8% is plenty, we dont need 12% with our hops! Lots of citrus, pine, resin all over, and comes in a big can. whats not to love?

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
spence3208 (18) - Maine, USA - APR 11, 2013
WOW!! had a friend give this to me. changed my palate forever!! Best IPA ive had. smells of citrus hops, orange color with medium head, great bitter ipa taste while also being balanced. looks like im making a road trip!!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
HoppyAlesToYou (167) - Saint John, Indiana, USA - APR 9, 2013
Caramel, floral, spruce, herbs, and enough resin that if I closed my eyes, I could confuse it for the hops mostly illegal cousin. The nose on this is otherworldly, I think I sprained my olfactory glands. It poured a murky golden tan, and the taste fit the aroma but was more subdued and bitter. A fine DIPA that is a must try for the aroma if you ever have an opportunity.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BSchnab (118) - Florida, USA - APR 5, 2013
Aroma was a citrus grapefruit. Appearance was a little hazy. This beer had a lot of hop. This beer was in your face and delivered exactly what you expect out of this excellent beer.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
kimjongill (207) - - APR 3, 2013
Smells of grapefruit and pine. Very aromatic. Drank most from can as per directions, but a 5 oz pour into a snifter revealed a hazy beer without much in the looks department. I was, at first, convinced the drink from can direction was a ploy to keep people from looking at the beer, but further taste comparison made me feel like the can was really quite superior. Taste-wise, the beer was a bit unbalanced in the direction of bitterness over maltiness, but a complete lack of lingering bitterness on the palate made me appreciate the overly hoppy character, and this is the only beer Ive yet to see do that right. Full marks, except for appearance, which was abysmal.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
olr1984 (1500) - fort wayne, Indiana, USA - APR 3, 2013
UPDATED: SEP 21, 2013 16oz can thanks to toastedpuppy. Pours a hazy orange with a white head. Pineapple pine aroma. Grapefruit and big orange and citrus hop taste. Very enjoyable.